Recommendations for lenses/accessories

bcuz

I recently purchased the Canon EOS R, and I have the RF 50mm f1.2 lens.

It's great for photos of one subject, but the depth of field is often too shallow for multiple subjects to be in focus at the same time. I was thinking about getting the RF 24-105 f4 lens. I have been doing a bit of event photography. Would this be a good choice or is there a better option? I will also be doing some videography (mostly just interview style videos). 

What are some good things to buy when starting out? Filters, lights, tripods, etc.

I do a bunch of nature photography, I'm getting into promotional videos (for a local school), and taking photos of individuals or groups.

Any recommendations are helpful as I don't know too much about cameras yet (Only reason I have the EOS R instead of some cheap camera is that I was on Amazon at the right time if you know what I mean).

Thanks!

First step : you can crank up the F stop in yer settings.

(Say for example, use the AV or manual & set the f to something higher)

Higher f/ will give you a longer focused distance. (2.8 is a good point to start)

F/1.2 only means the lowest it can go is 1.2, but iirc it can go up to f/22 but maybe it's less

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

First step : you can crank up the F stop in yer settings.

(Say for example, use the AV or manual & set the f to something higher)

Higher f/ will give you a longer focused distance. (2.8 is a good point to start)

F/1.2 only means the lowest it can go is 1.2, but iirc it can go up to f/22 but maybe it's less

Thanks! The other reason I am getting another lens is that the 50mm f1.2 focuses pretty loudly. It's very noticeable when using the in body audio, and I don't have an external microphone yet.

8 minutes ago, bcuz said:

Thanks! The other reason I am getting another lens is that the 50mm f1.2 focuses pretty loudly. It's very noticeable when using the in body audio, and I don't have an external microphone yet.

If you're doing static (tripod) video.. why not put it in manual ?

I doubt many lenses will do better, these things are pretty silent when it comes to lenses

An external mic is the way to go

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

3 minutes ago, givingtnt said:

If you're doing static (tripod) video.. why not put it in manual ?

I doubt many lenses will do better, these things are pretty silent when it comes to lenses

An external mic is the way to go

The issue is that I'm supposed to do something in the style of Billy on the Street. That's means I'm going to be at least walking around if not running. (To be clear, this is not my idea... I think it is definitely going to be cringy, but it's not up to me) I might go for something like the DJI Ronan S, but in that case I would need to rely on the dual pixel autofocus. Do you know if an external microphone would better be able to ignore the sound of the lens?

4 minutes ago, bcuz said:

The issue is that I'm supposed to do something in the style of Billy on the Street. That's means I'm going to be at least walking around if not running. (To be clear, this is not my idea... I think it is definitely going to be cringy, but it's not up to me) I might go for something like the DJI Ronan S, but in that case I would need to rely on the dual pixel autofocus. Do you know if an external microphone would better be able to ignore the sound of the lens?

What you're looking for is a shotgun mic.

These are basically "point & shoot". As in, the direction of the "barrel" is where the sound will be picked up from.

So as long as you don't point it at the camera, & keep it out of the view of the camera.. you're good. 

You could also use clothing mics (small mics that you clip on people's body) if you can throw the money at that.

Why did you get such an expensive kit without having my h experience in photo/video tho ?

You could easely have gotten something less expensive that would do just as fine.

You would have been better served by getting the RF 24-105mm in the first place, not the 50mm f/1.2, especially if you don't know what you are doing. The RF 50mm f/1.2 is not a very forgiving lens for newbies, and is also not really meant for video work.

so a 50mm lens is nice in so much as it mimics the primary field of view of a human but as stated for video its a bit limiting.  your depth of field can be played with by increasing your aperture and adjusting the ISO and Shutter speed to compensate.

Invest in external audio it will always improve the quality of your work and will work with any new gear you get making it a great value buy.

If your doing Man on the Street interviews then invest in a light weight Tripod with a video head  if you don't have much experience Gimbals will only do so much to where a tripod will do wonders.

On 8/15/2019 at 8:34 PM, ThePointblank said:

You would have been better served by getting the RF 24-105mm in the first place, not the 50mm f/1.2, especially if you don't know what you are doing. The RF 50mm f/1.2 is not a very forgiving lens for newbies, and is also not really meant for video work.

On 8/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, givingtnt said:

Why did you get such an expensive kit without having my h experience in photo/video tho ?

I got the camera and lens during prime day when there was that pricing glitch. The 50mm was the only option that wasn't sold out.