Recommendations for making you tube videos

Girlfriend wants to get started making youtube videos about crafting. It is all currently being done in her kitchen on a galaxy note 9 she wants to move to a higher quality setup for both audio and video. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good entry level camera and mic setup looking to stay around 500 usd for both. I wanted to set it up to record directly to her laptop if possible. This is honestly not something that i have much experience in so any help and guidance would be really helpful 

At that price, a bit hard to work with; none of the cameras within this price point are any good for video work, for a variety of reasons.

If you can squeeze an extra $200 into the budget, this Canon EOS M50 kit with mic is a good budget friendly choice:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1393464-REG/canon_2680c067_eos_m50_mirrorless_digital.html

Could probably go for a Canon G7X or a Sony RX100. Both feature what are essentially Super 16mm sensors (officially called 1" for some reason). Though if you need something with an audio input, you'll probably have to up your budget.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Honestly If you only have 500 right now look at getting your audio and lighting worked out first and then save up more so that later on you can go and get a camera.  Lighting and sound improvements will go a long way to improving your production quality.  Most modern cell phones do as good as cheap cameras when you get enough light in to them . and using an external audio recorder with an XLR in so you can get a mic will improve your video production substantially and both will continue to have value as you continue on to new and better gear.

3 hours ago, Thanatopsis said:

Honestly If you only have 500 right now look at getting your audio and lighting worked out first and then save up more so that later on you can go and get a camera.  Lighting and sound improvements will go a long way to improving your production quality.  Most modern cell phones do as good as cheap cameras when you get enough light in to them . and using an external audio recorder with an XLR in so you can get a mic will improve your video production substantially and both will continue to have value as you continue on to new and better gear.

Second this. Keep the phone as your camera. Get a recorder plus a good shotgun mic, and a video light. These will be somewhat expensive if you get good versions of all of these so upgrade incrementally as you can afford them.

22 hours ago, Thanatopsis said:

Don't even need expensive lights really. Only specific thing is to use high CRI LEDs(or incadescents), which are cheap. Otherwise, just whatever lamp fixtures you get ahold of can probably do a serviceable job.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

19 hours ago, Zodiark1593 said:

incadescents), which are cheap. Otherwise, just whatever lamp fixtures you get ahold of can probably do a serviceable job.

Dear god no incandescents to get good light output means you have to use halogen and that gets hot quick.  The high CRI led as you mentiond are great options. High CRI is generally concidered a CRI rating of 95% or higher.  You can get 6inch×4inch panels for between $35 and $50 for that price.