Cheap SSD vs High-end SSD

mickets

Planning to upgrade to an ssd from a 320GB HDD, on a laptop running an intel core i5-2540M.

The laptop is mostly for media consumption and ocasional photoshop.

Prices:

SSD 2.5" Kingston A400 240GB TLC = 28 €

SSD 2.5" Crucial BX500 240GB 3D TLC = 30 €

SSD 2.5" Crucial MX500 250GB 3D TLC = 49 €

SSD 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo 250GB MLC = 58 €

Storage wise, 240GB is the right amount. 120GB is too lottle and 480GB is too much.

The first two SSDs (A400 and BX500) are both DRAMless, but they offer a pretty good price.

I suppose the cheaper SSDs would do well just as an upgrade from the HDD, but Linus straight out did not recommend DRAMless SSDs

Being an old laptop that'll run for more 3-4 years, can I cheap out on the SSD?

2 minutes ago, mickets said:

Planning to upgrade to an ssd from a 320GB HDD, on a laptop running an intel core i5-2540M.

The laptop is mostly for media consumption and ocasional photoshop.

Prices:

SSD 2.5" Kingston A400 240GB TLC = 28 €

SSD 2.5" Crucial BX500 240GB 3D TLC = 30 €

SSD 2.5" Crucial MX500 250GB 3D TLC = 49 €

SSD 2.5" Samsung 860 Evo 250GB MLC = 58 €

Storage wise, 240GB is the right amount. 120GB is too lottle and 480GB is too much.

The first two SSDs (A400 and BX500) are both DRAMless, but they offer a pretty good price.

I suppose the cheaper SSDs would do well just as an upgrade from the HDD, but Linus straight out did not recommend DRAMless SSDs

Being an old laptop that'll run for more 3-4 years, can I cheap out on the SSD?

seen a400 last years without a problem. I think it'll be fine as its only light use on a old laptop. Just always backup extra important stuff which goes without saying anyway

While SSDs that features DRAM Cache are supposedly superior for random accesses you'd be hard pressed to find meaningful differences on mainstream usage like the expected from an older laptop.

It is the sort of feature that while nice to have it isn't a requirement at all.

From your options I'd go with the BX500 if saving that 19 euros is meaningful to you, and the MX500 if you can afford it.

The 860 Evo is way too difficult to justify, while on paper it's superior on real life it makes barely any difference against the MX500 across the board.

Avoid the A400 like plague, it's significantly inferior to the BX500 so in this case it is worth it affording the extra 2 euros.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

The A400 is rated for slower speeds but it will still be a day and night difference for normal use.

As for longevity, SSDs die mostly by running out of write cycles. But you would literally need to reinstall Windows every day to even get close to what even those A400 and BX500 are rated for in terms of TBW.

Quote and/or tag people using @ otherwise they don't get notified of your response!

The HUMBLE Computer:

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X • Noctua NH-U12A • ASUS STRIX X570-F • Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16 • GIGABYTE Nvidia GTX1080 G1 • FRACTAL DESIGN Define C w/ blue Meshify C front • Corsair RM750x (2018) • OS: Kingston KC2000 1TB GAMES: Intel 660p 1TB DATA: Seagate Desktop 2TB • Acer Predator X34P 34" 3440x1440p 120 Hz IPS curved Ultrawide • Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Brown • Logitech G502 HERO / Logitech MX Master 3

Notebook:  HP Spectre x360 13" late 2018

Core i7 8550U • 16GB DDR3 RAM • 512GB NVMe SSD • 13" 1920x1080p 120 Hz IPS touchscreen • dual Thunderbolt 3

Those cheap DRAMless SSDS will generally require a firmware update for you to know, If you buy one of those, then upgrade as soon as you buy it and also know that "light use" means that you use it only for the OS because it helps you with loading times but if you start using it to store things or install programs you will notice, like all the other owners of those SSDs that also comment, that the transfer rates are affected quickly and that their lifespan decreases dramatically.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

On 8/12/2019 at 8:36 PM, seagate_surfer said:

Those cheap DRAMless SSDS will generally require a firmware update for you to know, If you buy one of those, then upgrade as soon as you buy it and also know that "light use" means that you use it only for the OS because it helps you with loading times but if you start using it to store things or install programs you will notice, like all the other owners of those SSDs that also comment, that the transfer rates are affected quickly and that their lifespan decreases dramatically.

Woah I had no idea. Thanks for the help!

Guess I'll just stick with an ssd with dram.

39 minutes ago, mickets said:

Woah I had no idea. Thanks for the help!

Guess I'll just stick with an ssd with dram.

Sure! The light usage is more like watching movies or videos, listening to your favorite songs and surfing the Internet to find interesting things, maybe reading a document or send an email, you know! Stuff that is related to the "readings" and not to the "writings" part of data because for reading data it's fine. Heavy usage would be more like video rendering, photoshop, any kind of professional use case application that require storing constantly and moving files back and forth...  

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

• 4 years later...

The performance of an SSD, including sequential and random read/write speeds, is crucial. High-end SSDs typically offer better real-world performance, manage heat more efficiently, and maintain speeds under various conditions better than budget models.

For demanding tasks, a high-end SSD is worth the investment for its reliability and sustained performance. For general use, a budget or mid-range SSD can still provide good performance and value. Always consider your specific needs and usage scenarios when choosing between cheap and high-end SSDs.

Read this if you are still confused - https://www.theworldsbestandworst.com/2024/02/cheap-vs-expensive-ssd/