Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

I'm so in love with the Zombie on the front.

Case: Lian Li PC011-D - CPU: 3900x - GPU: 2080ti Reference - Mobo: Gigabyte - Ram: Corsair 4x16gb 3200MHz - SSD: 2TB Samsung Evo NVME

also, could you maybe detail how you did the carbon sticker on the corners of the acrylic? im kinda interested in this but am afraid of making the corners look like shit :c

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Guys, thanks for your comments. Yeah I gotta admit that I'm falling for her too. My main rig will still decimate it but I'm just growing so fond of how small it is.

Luka. If I can find time over the next few days I will take a piece of spare acrylic and try and make a video of how I cover it. All I can really say is that if you are good at wrapping up Christmas presents then you should be OK with covering acrylic. I used to get my hands on vinyl sheeting many years before it became mainstream. A guy that lived across the street from me (RIP Graham sadly missed) used to work at a company who made it. I covered arcade machines, speakers.. God knows hehe. I'm well trained in the fine art of wrapping :)

The experience from that then went onto my next hobby and obsession, making loudspeakers. Big, huge ones and then wrapping them in vinyl/acoustic carpet etc.

But all of my modding prowess comes from just getting stuck in and getting my hands dirty. It's the only way really.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Guys, thanks for your comments. Yeah I gotta admit that I'm falling for her too. My main rig will still decimate it but I'm just growing so fond of how small it is.

Luka. If I can find time over the next few days I will take a piece of spare acrylic and try and make a video of how I cover it. All I can really say is that if you are good at wrapping up Christmas presents then you should be OK with covering acrylic. I used to get my hands on vinyl sheeting many years before it became mainstream. A guy that lived across the street from me (RIP Graham sadly missed) used to work at a company who made it. I covered arcade machines, speakers.. God knows hehe. I'm well trained in the fine art of wrapping :)

The experience from that then went onto my next hobby and obsession, making loudspeakers. Big, huge ones and then wrapping them in vinyl/acoustic carpet etc.

But all of my modding prowess comes from just getting stuck in and getting my hands dirty. It's the only way really.

hey, thanks :D

yeah i do plan on just buying a shit ton and practice first, just want to first get an idea about what kind of process is best when doing this :)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Update. The postman brought the paracord (100ft). At last ! sadly I still can't do anything as the heat shrink to extend the cables is not here.

para.jpg

Today I found a hard drive to use in the box. It was a Toshiba external drive and had a 500gb laptop drive in. Handy !

1.jpg

It goes here.

2.jpg

I wanted to cover it though. So it was off to the kitchen.

3.jpg

Bzzzzzp.

4.jpg

Peeled and washed.

5.jpg

Mark up some vinyl.

6.jpg

And cover :)

7.jpg

And the smaller piece...

8.jpg

Both done.

9.jpg

Turn the case upside down for this.

10.jpg

And fitted :)

12.jpg

11.jpg

As as requested a video of the wrapping process.

Apologies for the grainy video.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

As as requested a video of the wrapping process.

Apologies for the grainy video.

Many thanks :D

Very welcome. Take note of the pressing the dinoc hard into the sharp part to make it bend. Then the angles of the cuts (that part is a fine art ! get it wrong and you'll leave acrylic exposed). Other than that you should be all set. Note though on large panels the technique is completely different. For that you need a squeegee or a cloth and have to peel the backing off as you put it down.

Beautiful.

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

hehe great minds think alike !

Sadly I don't think I can get it in the UK. Don't worry about the logos I'm going to cover those in dinoc.

Morning update. OK so I'm kinda going to blog this log. IE - post regular updates daily. I hope you guys don't mind. I guess it gives those who like reading something to read, any way..

So the case is out for delivery today. It's with Yodel though (a terrible courier, tbh) so it probably won't arrive :D Any way I am expecting other modding parts, but last night I remembered just what a cock 1366 can be to overclock. One wrong move with my board and it's black screen which means removing the GPU and clearing cmos. I've had a few ideas to get around this but I think the best idea is to fit two switches to the motherboard. One will engage cmos, the other will clear it. These will need to be the opposite of the momentary switches I have so will need to be bought. It's a faff, but one I feel is worth it as I really want to squeeze the I9's balls for as much performance as I can get.

Yesterday afternoon I ordered this.

[snip]

Which is 16mm. The blue one I have is 12mm. I'm not sure how I'm going to use them yet. The black switch was much cheaper than the blue one... I know I will most certainly need a reset button when overclocking though, so no doubt one will be for the power and the other for reset.. 

Remember - this build will be done as it comes so to speak, IE - there are no set plans of yet and things will be changed during the build to make it as good as it can be :)

Take care, until next time :)

Edit again. Please forgive my lack of manners... A huge thank you to those who gave their opinions on the front design. I have decided, after much deliberation, to use idea 6. I'm not sure how I will lay out the two black accents yet, but I will definitely be putting the Zombie logo on the front of the case :)

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?type=Home_Solutions/PlastiDip&stage=1&menu=0

I found this if you were still looking for an option like that :P

Your carbon fiber cutting is very sexy I must say.  Loving the progress so far :)

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

http://www.plastidip.co.uk/eStore/index.cfm?type=Home_Solutions/PlastiDip&stage=1&menu=0

I found this if you were still looking for an option like that :P

Your carbon fiber cutting is very sexy I must say.  Loving the progress so far :)

I think tbh it wouldn't be worth it. The board is small, and I distinctly remember that with a load of hardware put into it and with the cooler on you couldn't see much of it any way.

The thing is, the base colour of the board is blue. Once the cooler goes on and the white bits disappear all you will see is blue. The only thing that really irks me are the blocky looking motherboard coolers. I'd love to get them powder coated or paint them but I fear it would affect the cooling.

OK guys so early morning update.

Right now the CPU is holding me up something rotten. I'm in a serious catch 22, because without it everything has ground to a halt. Basically I can't test the PSU without the CPU. Because of that I don't want to take the PSU apart and void the warranty by braiding it, so it needs to stay put. Once it's tested the flood gates open, but until then I just can't risk losing the money on it. I also can't fit any hardware until the cooler is on, so again catch 22. 

It's also starting to cause me stress which isn't good for me, so for right now I need to just relax for a while. Sadly that means no updates until the CPU arrives :( Sorry guys !

I do have a very minor update though. A guy I know buys and scraps laptops for a living. He has a Sandisk U100 Readycache drive (16gb) and a 8gb Samsung SSD. He's asking for little more than postage so I have taken both. I want to install Windows XP for an old emulator I use that doesn't run properly in anything else and the 16gb can be used for Windows 7.

OK so here is the cache SSD I am getting.

sandisk.jpg

Of course it will be modded :D OK so I actually have a log from today. The postman actually came through and delivered enough stuff to keep me busy for an hour or so.. First up are these.

1.jpg

Which I really didn't want to shrink but didn't have much choice..

2.jpg

The LEDs also came today.

3.jpg

Testing...

4.jpg

Now this time I wanted to hide them under the motherboard so that you can't see them. This way the PC should glow without any ugly strips. In order to make sure they were under the motherboard I got the board out.

5.jpg

And cut out a motherboard sized template.

6.jpg

Time to fit the strips then.

7.jpg

Then round the back for some wiring...

8.jpg

And soldering...

9.jpg

And more soldering and shrinking..

10.jpg

Then it was time for a test :)

11.jpg

Sweet ! so it was back around to the other side to fit the plug and secure it to the board tray.

12.jpg

And a couple more jobs were done :)

LEDs were £3.29 for four strips and I only used three :D

:o delivered? where from?

this interests me too. :D

i know banggod has some really cheap options sometimes, so id look there too

@ALXAndy 

could you show how this looks covered up? even by a cardboard sheet

this interests me too. :D

i know banggod has some really cheap options sometimes, so id look there too

@ALXAndy 

could you show how this looks covered up? even by a cardboard sheet

i thought it may be nice, since we both live in the UK ;)

i thought it may be nice, since we both live in the UK ;)

yeah i know. if its nice and cheap delivery wise, i might check it too :)

hehe i see :P i think some sort pf subtle lighting would look good in the 750d im getting next week

yeah and im making a custom case for a HTPC and any cheap electronic store i can find is great :D

yeah and im making a custom case for a HTPC and any cheap electronic store i can find is great :D

sounds cool, i think i'm gonna mod my elite 335 with a window and have the insides painted black and make that into a file server of some kind :P

sounds cool, i think i'm gonna mod my elite 335 with a window and have the insides painted black and make that into a file server of some kind :P

haha yeah, still in the design process though. trying to make it integrate into the living room design seamlessly ^^

haha yeah, still in the design process though. trying to make it integrate into the living room design seamlessly ^^

sounds nice, i might do a star wars style design, possibly get the logo from the trilogy engraved on a piece of acrylic and use that as a window, then create a mini lightsabre embedded into the front panel, PLANS BUT NO RESOURCES lol

sounds nice, i might do a star wars style design, possibly get the logo from the trilogy engraved on a piece of acrylic and use that as a window, then create a mini lightsabre embedded into the front panel, PLANS BUT NO RESOURCES lol

yeah, i got inspired by @ALXAndy and his cheap but cool looking mod. taking a mobo tray from an old case and integrating it into some acrylic or sheet metal casing, then covering it in white Carbon or painting it white :)