Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

you sure that has enough power  :P

Yeah plenty :) CPU is 60w.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

once overclocked though, it might use a bit more than 60w

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

once overclocked though, it might use a bit more than 60w

Still the 2x8 + 6pin isnt gonna eat more than 500w now will it?

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Still the 2x8 + 6pin isnt gonna eat more than 500w now will it?

it would need to its got 2 12v rails. it would only need to pull 300w

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

it would need to its got 2 12v rails. it would only need to pull 300w

Oh its a 2 rail psu? Thats a problem...

Id gladly donate my cx600m then, but i still need it for some time :c

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Oh its a 2 rail psu? Thats a problem...

Id gladly donate my cx600m then, but i still need it for some time :c

yep 264w on each rail. a cx600 would work 552w on the 12v rail :) 

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

yep 264w on each rail. a cx600 would work 552w on the 12v rail :)

yeah well around may or june ish i could replace my psu. but i live in slovenia so im not sure how the shipping would go...

It isn't a problem. I won't be loading up the PSU on one rail will I? it will be split over the two. Also you guys forget that most PSUs can combine their rails when under serious strain. Just because a PSU doesn't have one rail does not mean it can't combine them.

OK. Now that we've established that look at this.

480power.jpg

That's from Nvidia. Now whilst I'm aware that the Lightning CAN (note can, not will) chomp down a lot of power you guys are overlooking the fact that -

1. The extra 6 pin is for the memory *only* just so that it can remain stable when the core is being pushed.

2. The core is the same as a GTX 480 and thus, will use the same amount of power and have the same power requirements as standard.

3. I'm not using LN2 or DICE.

The philosophy on power supplies is to get a good quality one. I've ran a quad core Core 2 with two GTX 295s all overclocked on a 625w Enermax Modu II. I run a 4.9ghz FX 8320 and a overclocked 7990 on a Corsair RM750.

No, the CPU won't use 60w when overclocked. However, it ain't going to use more than 130w at the absolute limit of the cooler and even then that leaves 470w for the GPU. If you think a GTX 480 can use 470w? haha no chance. I used to run GTX 480 SLI from an 800w psu with an I7 overclocked to 4ghz and that thing used to guzzle power. Never had an issue.

Maybe you need to check into who Tagan were. They made excellent power supplies (but sadly the recession got them :( )

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

BTW just FYI. My Dell Alienware 1kw PSU has about ten 9 amp rails.....

OK some more work. Today I wanted to make the two plastic discs to hold the switches in the water cooling holes. I got out my tools, and sink cut out of counter top.

1-1.jpg

Then I set the hole cutter to 40mm. I want to make a special mention of this thing. It was cheap, even cheaper than a conventional hole saw set. But for working on plastic it's absolutely ferking brilliant. All you need to do is let it scribe and it mills out perfect circles just using a normal drill.

2-1.jpg

OK. So now I had a problem that I needed to solve logically. How do I end up with a 40mm disc with a 12mm circle in it? if I cut out the 12mm hole using my bit I then won't be able to use the circle cutter. If I cut it straight out with the circle cutter I then have a pig of a job cutting out the 12mm holes. The answer in the end was simple. Set up the 12mm bit and mill about half way through. Then drill the hole that the hole cutter sits in and cut them out. I should then have a perfect 12mm template to bore out with the rotary tool.

3-1.jpg

Cut out, and then the end result was this.

4-1.jpg

Awesome :D Then I sanded the edges a bit, and used the rotary tool to take out the rest of the 12mm bore.

5-1.jpg

And paint.

6-1.jpg

And they should be ready for fitting :)

Braiding !

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

:D

Bloody hell my fingers are sore !! So I had to solder the wires onto the ends and this made it really hard to get them back in. The braid is also very thick which makes life hard.. Ah well, one down many to go !

Just a small update for this morning. So basically I've been seeing guys 'stitch' their cables. I wasn't going to bother with this, but then I realised that I'm stuffing an awful lot of hardware and thus wiring into this build and it's a small case. So neatness is going to be important.

Any way, the guys usually stitch with the insides of the paracord. The issue I have though is that it's white. This kinda looks odd if you're using deeper coloured paracord. So, I remembered that we have a sewing box. Inside was this -

1-2.jpg

Awesome ! there's bloody loads of it too, my lady picked it up for pennies in bulk. So, red for blue, blue for red..

2-2.jpg

It was hard though. The cables were twisted so I did what I could....

braided.jpg

As you can see on the last one the cables started pulling away pretty badly. It's OK though. Once it's situated into the case and fitted to the GPU I can just bend them around. 

I'm happy with it. I think the blue looks nice on the red and the red will look every bit as good stitched on the blue braids :)

I'm always in favour of cable lacing, although I use either waxed cotton

cord or nylon thread for it. But your thread does provide a nice bit of

contrast.

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I'm always in favour of cable lacing, although I use either waxed cotton

cord or nylon thread for it. But your thread does provide a nice bit of

contrast.

Integrating blue and red together isn't going to be easy. They are both primary colours and both want to take the stage.. The only way to make them as seamless as possible is to truly make them together as much as I can.

That stitching shit sure is hard though. I just don't seem to have a lot of patience at the moment lol. Things are getting a bit fiddly so I'm taking the rest of the day off (apart from a very easy job) :)

Oh, I forgot the other update oops !

Update 2. So the switches came and man, they're chunky haha.

switch1.jpg

Snap out the hole covers.

switch2.jpg

Glue..

switch3.jpg

Fit.

switch4.jpg

I'm going to be out for the afternoon, but will probably get these all plumbed in later with the wiring.

What is that BitFenix case in the background? It looks uber sexy

What is that BitFenix case in the background? It looks uber sexy

Which picture? My other (main big powerful) PC is in a Colossus. Then there's the Alienware Area 51 ALX...

Which picture? My other (main big powerful) PC is in a Colossus. Then there's the Alienware Area 51 ALX...

The Colossus is the one.

So here's the wiring.

wires.jpg

And fitted :)

switches.jpg

Yes. I don't want to mod the Lightning.

i dont get why alienware put such a small motherboard in such a large case :S

Because of the cooling and electronics. The Aurora isn't a huge case it's just pretty deep.