Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

yeah, i got inspired by @ALXAndy and his cheap but cool looking mod. taking a mobo tray from an old case and integrating it into some acrylic or sheet metal casing, then covering it in white Carbon or painting it white :)

i havent really felt like modding before, but since i joined the forums, i've been getting the modding itch, and really wanna tear up that old case :P

i havent really felt like modding before, but since i joined the forums, i've been getting the modding itch, and really wanna tear up that old case :P

heheh i know exactly how you feel, basically the entire day ive been feeling anxious doing this stuff ^^

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I get them from here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A0EOPOS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've ordered orange, red and blue now. They come from China so about 10 days.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

I get them from here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A0EOPOS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've ordered orange, red and blue now. They come from China so about 10 days.

cheers, might shove a tenner in my bank and order them, should arrive just in time for me to get my case ^^

also how do you wire them to a connector such as a molex?

You need to solder them on.

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

oh this may just be great :D thanks 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

you take the plus wire, solder it onto the +12V and the minus wore and solder it onto one of the grounds

or you solder the plus to the +5V, or you do some jiggling and connect the 12 and 5V lines to get 7V

you take the plus wire, solder it onto the +12V and the minus wore and solder it onto one of the grounds

or you solder the plus to the +5V, or you do some jiggling and connect the 12 and 5V lines to get 7V

so im guessing if the LED strip is rated at 12V you just hook it straight onto the 12V right?

so im guessing if the LED strip is rated at 12V you just hook it straight onto the 12V right?

yeah if you want it at full brightness. 

A molex line is 12v - ground - ground - 5v. The 5v is red, 12v yellow. Yes you solder them. That's the only way to be safe I don't condone bodging :)

You'd be surprised how many PC parts are available elsewhere without the PC modding label attached and thus, about 1/3 of the price.

@ALXAndy 

could you show how this looks covered up? even by a cardboard sheet

No :D you'll have to wait :D

No :D you'll have to wait :D

oh, you ;)

You have inspired me to finish swearing and cursing at an old antec case i have been tinkering with for a while.

i5-3570k @ 4.4ghz (1.240v) || Asrock extreme 4 || CM Hyper 212 evo

Samsung 840 || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb || Powercolor 7870 xt @ (1200 mhz core : 1500 mhz mem)

Powered by a silverstone strider 500w psu in a NZXT 210.

You have inspired me to finish swearing and cursing at an old antec case i have been tinkering with for a while.

This makes me really happy :)

Mod on brother.

oh, you ;)

Dude even I didn't try it yet. I have to save some excitement for myself hehe. I've had some other ideas/placed some more orders. I won't divulge the info on those just yet, but the storage should be invisible and silent ;)

I reakon I've got one more order to place for parts, all of which are from China but I don't mind waiting as you can get some really top gear for peanuts.

Not sure when the next update will be guys and girls. Yesterday was a bit of a fluke because the parts that came had been forgotten about (which is usual for me with stuff from China, given it takes a while to come).

SSD goodness :D

ssd.jpg

Got another one to do

The ssd looks awesome :D

SSD goodness :D

Got another one to do

Nice detail on the font. :)

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

That one is a Samsung 8gb SSD. RW are 110/50. It's for Windows XP so I can run an emulator without sound issues. The other one is 16gb and will run Win 7 Lite.

ssd2.jpg

SSD pron ;)

Crap I just noticed the Z on the blue one is upside down PMSL.

Will sort that now :D

Edit. Couple of notes.

Note 1. I paid £12 for both of the SSDs. This rig is going to be a multi system rig for testing/design. Thus I wanted it quiet. I already have a metal wind tunnel with my other rig. The only fans running is the 230mm intake (it's utterly silent) and the 120mm on the cooler which is also whisper quiet, as well as a 92mm running on a 7v resistor. The Lightning until 65% is silent (I've had one myself only the R6970L) so yeah the last thing I want is a load of chugging hard drives driving me nuts.

Note 2. I am probably going to put the SSDs on show now.

Update. 

Morning all. So basically the SSDs are finished and ready. I won't say where they are going yet but they will be on show somewhere in the rig. Yesterday these arrived -

snips.jpg

I am going to need those when I finally tackle the power supply. Basically I am going to remove a whole load of wiring from it to make way for the thickness of the braid. This means all SATA power connectors are going leaving only molex. That's why I've been fitting molex adapters to everything. The 4 pin CPU plug is going too. This should leave me lots of space :)

OK so back to the build. A few days ago I ordered these (x2).

grill.jpg

I wasn't going to order anything like it but I just found them out of chance when searching Ebay for fan grills. As soon as I saw them I thought of the GPU going in the system and couldn't help myself. So to compliment that I ordered one of these.

fan.jpg

This will be for cooling the mechanical drive/s that will be hidden away. I will be buying a fan controller too (single knob type) so that I can tune it to be silent. I just thought the grill was a nice touch tbh. Any way, moving on. Inside the rig there are a few places to put hard drives but they are fixed. I didn't like the hard drive in the bay up top because of how it would have looked. So I found a company based in China called Orico who make hard drive mounting solutions. The first one I bookmarked for a buy was this one.

cage.jpg

Nice huh? you won't see it but that won't matter. Basically I will drill holes and mount it in the floor of the case. Then the PSU cover will have the grill and fan in it bringing in air for the hard drives that are hidden in there :) I also looked into PCI slot mounting mechanisms and liked those too, so I may just do that too.

Sorry the update isn't terribly exciting but it may get you all thinking about the small ideas that make the big differences :) I await the postman.....

dayumn!! those are like... made for the 480 lightning haha :D