Zombie Mods - The I9 Steambox

ALXAndy

Noice! thumb.gif

Also:

That... does not sound computer-ish to my dirty, demented mind. :D

Well I might have used it like a whore.... hahahahaha

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

OK guys, here we go with today's work log.

First up a rather tedious job that wasn't much fun but had to be done..

It was time to make the 230mm fan fit the side panel. So I put some double sided sticky foam on it to get it into position.

1.jpg

And stuck it down in place.

2.jpg

Flipped it over.

3.jpg

And then masked the panel so it doesn't get scratched.

4.jpg

As I said earlier, tedious but necessary. Get out the tools I needed...

5.jpg

And use the pointed tool to punch some indents for the drill.

6.jpg

Done.

7.jpg

Find the right drill bit by fitting it to an existing hole.

8.jpg

And drill the four holes.

Time to put the filter back on. However I can't use the plastic plug things as they will foul the fan so I am gluing it in place. I can simply remove the fan and shower the whole panel with the filter on to clean it. 

11.jpg

And put the filter back in onto the glue.

12.jpg

And then leave it to set for a few hours, but it's job done on that one :)

Then just as i was finishing up I went out to check the mail and yay, more parts !

9.jpg

What did I get? well the 120mm fan came as well as the ram from a friend of mine and some LEDs. This will give me plenty to do, but before that I have something else planned.

10.jpg

Apologies for the slightly boring log. I promise, today's second update will be much more fun :D

Area 51 2014. Intel 5820k@ 4.4ghz. MSI X99.16gb Quad channel ram. AMD Fury X.Asus RAIDR.OCZ ARC 480gb SSD. Velociraptor 600gb. 2tb WD.

Wow. This is sweet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow. This is sweet.

Very kind of you. It's comments like this that drive me tbh.

OK so the second phase of today's modding is almost complete. I had a bit of a disaster earlier today, but managed to avert it. Today's update should come in at around 9pm UK time. I'm currently waiting for paint to dry and glue to set up :)

OK the evening update. Sadly I can't completely finish this and set the fan as I'm still waiting for the paracord. 

So it was time to do something about a CPU cooler. I don't think the Titan Fenrir is going to fit because of my choice of side intake fan. The thing is, I'm going to be using a 60w CPU so a huge cooler is not necessary. The stock I7 cooler was made for a 130w CPU so will be more than enough. The only issue is it looks completely shit, so let's do something about that....

floatingfanlogo.jpg

OK. So the keen eyed among you will have seen the 120mm fan that arrived today. That was for the cooler. So here it is, the cooler as stock and a new toy I ordered for this build.

1.jpg

The first job on the to do list was remove the stock fan, yet, maintain the integrity of the bracket.

2.jpg

Then I needed to set up and make some discs out of 5mm acrylic.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Perfect size !

8.jpg

OK so now they are cut I need to glue two together.

10.jpg

The nut and bolt is the secret to a good bond..

Bit of glue.

11.jpg

And.

12.jpg

And then it was time to free the fan.

9.jpg

Measure up some blue dinoc.

15.jpg

And start covering the fan blades. Now this is incredibly difficult and requires the use of a hair dryer to stretch the dinoc. It really isn't for the faint hearted and takes a bloody long time.

16.jpg

And then disaster struck :( because it's a cheap fan the wire was cheap and thin and, after about five blades covered decided to completely snap from the motor. And, to make things worse the solder points were not accessible to be able to solder it back on, nor would the motor budge from the plate.

18oldmotor.jpg

Now what I should have done was remove the motor at the start, but hindsight can be a bitch. So now I was in a panic, time to hit the parts drawer !! this is why I never throw anything out !

17disaster.jpg

One motor, taken from a 92mm Thermaltake fan, with accessible solder points should it happen again.. PHEW !

OK so here's my spacer I made from the discs I cut out.

25.jpg

And here is how it will look. I can't glue the fan onto the spacer until I have braided it, but it should give the general idea :)

26.jpg

'cool' :D

Dude how did you learn to do this shit. It look awesome!

By being poor and having to polish a few turds :D 

Well it looks like this is gonna be a nice turd in the end :P

hah yeah it sure should :D

The paracord (much to my extreme disgruntlement !) wasn't shipped until today. So if it's second class post then it could arrive as late as Monday :( 

Which sucks, but it shouldn't stop me. Tomorrow I want to make a couple of internal cover panels, so I should have something to wlog :)

Good afternoon every one, and what a fine afternoon it is here on the coast :)

So this morning two packages came.

1.jpg

Inside were these.

2.jpg

Yay, paracord and my reset button ! So today I wanted to make a cover panel for the optical drive bay. I did consider removing the whole thing but sadly it's a part of the chassis so it would have affected the structure.

3.jpg

Then I wrote myself a to do list..

4.jpg

And work began. First I had a little fun with paracord.

5.jpg

And then it was off to the kitchen to start work. I marked up some acrylic.

6.jpg

And then cut it out.

7.jpg

Then for another idea I had i got out my circle cutter :)

8.jpg

And cut a circle of black acrylic.

9.jpg

Then I took my rotary tool and fitted this attachment.

10.jpg

And then marked a hole for the reset button before boring it out with the tool above. The end result was this.

11.jpg

My reset button in a small acrylic circle. I will show you where it goes later :) Then it was back to my desk with my plate.

12.jpg

Cover, put on my logo and fit.

13.jpg

Better... Then time for more tedium.

14.jpg

Repeating the method - pull off the stickers gently and stick them to the back side of the dinoc.

15.jpg

Cut.

16.jpg

And fit.

17.jpg

Better :) I then got out my solder iron and soldered the LEDs to the braided wires.

18.jpg

X2, then the reset button (more on this later)

19.jpg

The front panel power button...

20.jpg

Then a LED test.

21.jpg

And it was time to glue in the LEDs.

22.jpg

And done :)

23.jpg

Then I braided the fan and tested it. Here is a video :)

And my work was done... For now :D

24.jpg

Thank you !!

OK so remember that circle I made? well look at this...

1.jpg

Snap one out and with a little glue...

2.jpg

And the reset button mount is complete ! Then the glue had set on the cooler.

3.jpg

I put a plastic anchor on the back side of the front so I could cable tie the wires to it to prevent them being yanked out.

4.jpg

Then fitted loads of adhesive foam.

5.jpg

And....

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Check out the reset button :)

10.jpg

And with the side back on :)

9.jpg

See you tomorrow;)

Thank you !!

OK so remember that circle I made? well look at this...

Snap one out and with a little glue...

And the reset button mount is complete ! Then the glue had set on the cooler.

I put a plastic anchor on the back side of the front so I could cable tie the wires to it to prevent them being yanked out.

Then fitted loads of adhesive foam.

And....

Check out the reset button :)

And with the side back on :)

See you tomorrow;)

Was it sitting on a pop can?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Was it sitting on a pop can?

Coffee :D

Looks good! Some great mods in your cases :)

I also got my answer on how you made the framless fans! Awesome!

Cooler master HAF XB // First build!

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350  | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz | GPU: SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290 4GB OC | Case: Cooler master XB | PSU: Corsair RM750 | 

HDD: 3.5 TB | SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB | OS: Windows 8.1

Looks good! Some great mods in your cases :)

I also got my answer on how you made the framless fans! Awesome!

Thanks. I did do a section on making them in my other build log, but sadly I went over my bandwidth limit and Photobucket did a douche and made them all unavailable. 

Glad you got your answer though man :)

I like them because they disperse air over a much wider area than when they are framed in. You don't get the direct air concentration you would if the frame was on, but in this instance the 120mm fan will cool off the VRMs to the left of the CPU and also the ram :)

It's nice to know my ideas inspire others tbh. It's even nicer to see people replicate them too. That is the essence of modding. I did a case mod a couple of years back and a manufacturer actually stole my idea and it ended up in one of their cases. At first I was pissed, then I just felt amazing :D

Coffee :D

Very professional. :P

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Coming along rather nicely I see.

I'm wondering when the first person will show up with something like

"But, but... that fan is going to be imbalanced!" (my approach is usually

"try first, maybe regret later" when it comes to modding :D )

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

I tested the fan every step of the way. See the video? The fan was not glued down yet so had every chance to disco. Bottom line is the weight of the dinoc is even on every blade.

Thanks. I did do a section on making them in my other build log, but sadly I went over my bandwidth limit and Photobucket did a douche and made them all unavailable. 

Glad you got your answer though man :)

I like them because they disperse air over a much wider area than when they are framed in. You don't get the direct air concentration you would if the frame was on, but in this instance the 120mm fan will cool off the VRMs to the left of the CPU and also the ram :)

It's nice to know my ideas inspire others tbh. It's even nicer to see people replicate them too. That is the essence of modding. I did a case mod a couple of years back and a manufacturer actually stole my idea and it ended up in one of their cases. At first I was pissed, then I just felt amazing :D

Haha thats cool ;)

Now ill just need to figure out how to mount the fan on my mobo :P Will think something up soon, just need to find a fan im willing to sacrifice haha.

Patiently waiting for more  :)

Cooler master HAF XB // First build!

Motherboard: MSI-990FXA-GD65 | CPU: AMD FX-8350  | CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 1600Mhz | GPU: SAPPHIRE TRI-X R9 290 4GB OC | Case: Cooler master XB | PSU: Corsair RM750 | 

HDD: 3.5 TB | SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60GB | OS: Windows 8.1

Any chance you can give us a link to where you got your cpu? Or was that the only available?

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster