HP DL180 g6

swallace

not sure if this should be under modding but
ok  so i picked up  one of these recently  the 14bay  model 12 fron 2 rear complete with all the toys sas raid card  2 xeons 64gb  ram  for  not a lot of money   and its purring away  nice  ,,, however  its noisy  !!  4 little dinky 60mm fans blasting 
mod 1  trick the pwm so i found something where a guy  bound up all the pwn  cables from the fan headers  switched the fans to  the redundant slower header  but took a pwn/tach cable to feed back into the the man fan  header  ..  slower speed mobos ilo  system  tricked into thinking it still had fans  ..  still  noisy   :( >  returned to default  
mod 2 same idea  but run  pwms through a uno on a low pass  1uf+2k resistor   running fans in real time over usb to the Arduino Uno   >> much same as mod 1 but a lot of fun  >  reset  to defaults  
mod 3   in the works  WATERCOOL THE SUCKER :)    these xeons have only 2 bolt through  pins on the heat sinks    1st problem need some sort of conversion kit   2 problem  space  height clearance from top of dir chip  is around  72 mm   and the fan trays if i remove i recon will be around 100m  wide to the internal  width  but i don't want  a single loop  where one chip will get hotter than the other  so  dual  loops  maybe an aio  ? needs lons tubes around 320mm  as the xrons are pretty far  back   i think i could lay 2 120mm  rads on their back and cut a couple of air vents in the top skin  vacuum from the fans should pull in from the front and then out top  ?? 

what i need help with  
1 the name for the xeon server socket  with  E5620  ( can only find the 4 pin mount  type )  
2 options for the loops  low profile and compact  all internal  no ext rads  

comments suggestions  please  and feel free to put in correct section if its wrong  

Hey I have one of these systems.

1. 1366, but it doesn't have standard mounting holes,

2. Thats gonna be a pain. You can probably put a 120mm radiator in there at a angle, but then you need a custom water block for their weird mounting holes and there isn't much free sapce.

Id just put that thing in anouther room or put some sound deading around it, your not gonna get a server like this silent easily, and for the price of water cooling, you can just get a better quieter system. Something like a r710 or r720 are a good amount quieter.

yeh i know its gonna be tight ,but am suborn as hell  and got my teeth into it now  :)   i found a  cooler master aio on  uk  ebay  for £35 but are the 4 pin mounts  not the first time  ive made a custom mount so long as i keep  good contact  hopefully will be ok maybe i can mod the amd 2 pin mount  somehow for am2    the server  inc  6 2tb sas and 2 320 sas was under £200 so £70 isnt too much of a heart ache ,  might just go for it  can always reuse the loops in something else  did see these sexy rads  but stll  60mm fans 
 https://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/radiators/radiators-active/19748/alphacool-nexxxos-xt45-full-copper-60mm-single-radiator?sPartner=googleshoppinguk&gclid=CjwKCAjw1rnqBRAAEiwAr29II2s0lh74-0x6cIErG4qv8UKgx9FSeJvcu0n78aMez9c1MTPANPy8QBoCuSEQAvD_BwE