Why doesn't Valve fight back?

Duski

I'm really fed up with Epic Store and their ways of bribing developers. They left Steam with no real games, all I'm seeing lately are shitty 2d / platformer / japanese / anime games, while Epic got Borderlands 3, Watch Dogs Legion, Control, The Outer Worlds and so on. I can count on one hand the upcoming AAA games coming to Steam, which is really sad. I really wanted to play Borderlands 3 on my PC but looks like I'll have to enjoy it on my PS4..

3 minutes ago, Mephi00 said:

Why dont you just get the epic store and get borderlands there?

he probably hates having to have multiple launchers like me. i did cave and get the epic launcher but before that if it isnt on steam im not getting it. thats why even though i thought titanfall looked interesting i never got it since its only on origin. though i hear nowadays its pretty dead or something so maybe that was a good thing

13 minutes ago, Duski said:

They left Steam with no real games

Um, what you on about? AAA didnt leave Steam for EGS........

They all created their own stores, that way they get 100% of the cut. 

2 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

titanfall looked interesting i never got it since its only on origin. though i hear nowadays its pretty dead or something so maybe that was a good thing

You missed out. Great game, however it died at the hands of EA. 

Respawn is free again from the claws of EA, so im looking forward to their next project beyond Apex Legends. 

They are timed exclusives, so if you wait they will come to steam eventually.  As for fighting back, do you really want them to start having exclusive only titles on their platform.  That will alienate the large section of the community that is angry at EPIC for their exclusives.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

You missed out. Great game, however it died at the hands of EA. 

Respawn is free again from the claws of EA, so im looking forward to their next project beyond Apex Legends. 

if titanfall 3 or whatever releases on steam or the epic store ill play it

6 minutes ago, spartaman64 said:

if titanfall 3 or whatever releases on steam or the epic store ill play it

Respawn is doing the new Star wars story game. So thats gonna be a real treat. 

Valve doesn't fight back because anyone worth their salt with regards to the video game industry left the company a long time ago. It's become basically a hipster's paradise where Steam more or less generates a massive amount of passive income for the company.

Overall I feel Valve thinks they're too big to fail.

Valve is a very unorthodoxly run company so it's hard to say what their strategy is but I'm sure they're not just ignoring what's going on with the Epic store. My bet would be that they're waiting for things to settle down a bit before making big moves. I don't think that the Epic store will be able to keep up it's current pace of offers to developers and deals, including guaranteed sales, for very long. If valve reacts too strongly too early they might end up putting themselves in a bad position in the long run. Better to let things play out a bit and then have a response rather than rushing out of the gate.

This is only compounded by the amount of hate that both the Epic store itself is getting as well as developers that announce exclusive deals are getting. It's not like consumers are flocking to the platform. I think it still very much remains to be seen where the Epic store will sit in the PC gaming eco-system.

7 hours ago, Duski said:

I'm really fed up with Epic Store and their ways of bribing developers.

❤️ Epic Games. And here's why...

• 1. Alan Wake $14.99
  • 2. Axiom Verge $19.99
  • 3. City Of Brass $19.99
  • 4. The Cycle $0.00
  • 5. Dauntless $0.00
  • 6. Enter The Gungeon $14.99
  • 7. For Honor $39.99
  • 8. Fortnite $0.00
  • 9. GNOG $9.99
  • 10. The Jackbox Party Pack $24.99
  • 11. Kingdom New Lands $14.99
  • 12. Last Day Of June $19.99
  • 13. LIMBO $9.99
  • 14. Moonlighter $19.99
  • 15. Overcooked $16.99
  • 16. Oxenfree $19.99
  • 17. Rebel Galaxy $19.99
  • 18. RiME $29.99
  • 19. Slime Rancher $19.99
  • 20. Stories Untold $9.99
  • 21. Subnautica $24.99
  • 22. Super Meat Boy $14.99
  • 23. Thimbleweed Park $19.99
  • 24. This War Of Mine $19.99
  • 25. Torchlight $19.99
  • 26. Transistor $19.99
  • 27. Unreal Tournament $0.00
  • 28. What Remains Of Edith Finch $19.99
  • 29. The Witness $39.99
  • 30. World Of Goo $14.99

On their way to my Epic Library in 6 days...

• 31. Hyper Light Drifter $19.99
  • 32. Mutant Year Zero Road To Eden $34.99

32 Steam games valued at $577.00 in my Epic Games Library for FREE. Not one penny spent.

And the best part, they all run flawlessly. Not bad for a span of 8 months the Epic Games store has existed.

Could... Care... Less... About... ANY... Developers.

Wait and see.

We are coming to point where exclusives aren't just console thing anymore. Which is funny to say as Steam has had multiple exclusives and almost monopoly for rather long time. Blizzard (and later Activision) were only real competition for long time. Before EA got Origin going. Still while you can buy games from variety of stores, they are still Steam games. You can't play them without it. I don't know about you, but for me that's kind of excusivness.

So you do what you must. Vote with your wallet and refuse to buy games that violate your freedom to choose platform.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Simple: because Valve is shortsighted and ran by people who insist that VR is the future even though their "killer VR title" has been in development hell for half a decade. You know, rather than focusing their attention to CS:GO, Team Fortress 2 and the rest of Steam, they're insisting that VR is worth the investment even though most people don't see any value in busting out their wallet, shelling quite a lot of cash for a VR headset in which they don't plan on playing much with it.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

9 hours ago, Mephi00 said:

Why dont you just get the epic store and get borderlands there?

Because I don't own a debit card and I used Steam mainly for so long because they're allowing PaySafeCard transaction. You can buy a PSC from every store and supermarket.

9 hours ago, spartaman64 said:

he probably hates having to have multiple launchers like me. i did cave and get the epic launcher but before that if it isnt on steam im not getting it. thats why even though i thought titanfall looked interesting i never got it since its only on origin. though i hear nowadays its pretty dead or something so maybe that was a good thing

^this too. I already have Battle.net, Origin, Uplay and Steam and I would prefer to have all of my games in one place, rather than on 10 different launchers.

9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Um, what you on about? AAA didnt leave Steam for EGS........

They all created their own stores, that way they get 100% of the cut. 

Maybe I exaggerated, but Borderlands 3, Ghost Recon Breakpoint (yes I know, I can get it on Uplay, but I would have liked to have it on Steam as well), The Division 2, Anno, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human, Watch Dogs Legion, The Outer Worlds (not sure if this is an AAA game but still), Control and many more.

2 hours ago, Intransigent said:

❤️ Epic Games. And here's why...

• 1. Alan Wake $14.99
  • 2. Axiom Verge $19.99
  • 3. City Of Brass $19.99
  • 4. The Cycle $0.00
  • 5. Dauntless $0.00
  • 6. Enter The Gungeon $14.99
  • 7. For Honor $39.99
  • 8. Fortnite $0.00
  • 9. GNOG $9.99
  • 10. The Jackbox Party Pack $24.99
  • 11. Kingdom New Lands $14.99
  • 12. Last Day Of June $19.99
  • 13. LIMBO $9.99
  • 14. Moonlighter $19.99
  • 15. Overcooked $16.99
  • 16. Oxenfree $19.99
  • 17. Rebel Galaxy $19.99
  • 18. RiME $29.99
  • 19. Slime Rancher $19.99
  • 20. Stories Untold $9.99
  • 21. Subnautica $24.99
  • 22. Super Meat Boy $14.99
  • 23. Thimbleweed Park $19.99
  • 24. This War Of Mine $19.99
  • 25. Torchlight $19.99
  • 26. Transistor $19.99
  • 27. Unreal Tournament $0.00
  • 28. What Remains Of Edith Finch $19.99
  •  29. The Witness $39.99
  • 30. World Of Goo $14.99

On their way to my Epic Library in 6 days...

• 31. Hyper Light Drifter $19.99
  • 32. Mutant Year Zero Road To Eden $34.99

32 Steam games valued at $577.00 in my Epic Games Library for FREE. Not one penny spent.

And the best part, they all run flawlessly. Not bad for a span of 8 months the Epic Games store has existed.

Could... Care... Less... About... ANY... Developers.

So you like Epic because they give you free games :/ ?

7 hours ago, Duski said:

Close. I like Epic because they give me free EPIC games. They have yet to give me a free game that is not EPIC. They are completely living up to the name Epic Games. And who would not want 32 FREE EPIC games valued at $577.00?

7 hours ago, Duski said:

Because I don't own a debit card and I used Steam mainly for so long because they're allowing PaySafeCard transaction. You can buy a PSC from every store and supermarket.

I've never put in any debit card information, or any type of personal information for the matter into any launcher that I own.

7 hours ago, Duski said:

I would prefer to have all of my games in one place, rather than on 10 different launchers.

Why exactly? Be specific and go into further detail as possible of why you prefer to use just 4 launchers instead of 10. 4 places is not 1 place. I use Steam, Origin, UPlay, Epic Games, Blizzard(for just Diablo III), GOG Galaxy, GameSessions(for just Hitman Absolution) and the LeagueOfLegends launcher. Using all 8 launchers is a convenience and I am completely comfortable when using each one. Absolutely zero gripes with them except GameSessions because it won't let me use MSI Afterburner while gaming.

7 hours ago, Duski said:

Borderlands 3

This is a timed exclusive and will be on Steam in the near future. By then you'll still have yet to complete the other 3 Borderlands games.

7 hours ago, Duski said:

Ghost Recon Breakpoint (yes I know, I can get it on Uplay, but I would have liked to have it on Steam as well), The Division 2, Anno, Beyond Two Souls, Detroit Become Human, Watch Dogs Legion, The Outer Worlds (not sure if this is an AAA game but still), Control and many more.

Explain why you just have to have these games on Steam. Again, in detail. I want to hear a specific reason that isn't a weak reason.

17 hours ago, Duski said:

I'm really fed up with Epic Store and their ways of bribing developers.

Their ways? You mean paying them to hop ship? That's a pretty legitimate business strategy and there is zero wrong with it. It's just like when a sports team pays an athlete a ton of money to work for them and leave their old team.

8 hours ago, Duski said:

People used to love PS Plus because they got "free" games and they weren't even free since you had to pay for the service lol.

Getting free things is a pretty legit reason to love a store.

17 hours ago, Worstcaster said:

They are timed exclusives, so if you wait they will come to steam eventually.  As for fighting back, do you really want them to start having exclusive only titles on their platform.  That will alienate the large section of the community that is angry at EPIC for their exclusives.

Ding ding ding. Exactly.

I see so many people complain about Epic not just because it is inferior to Steam, but because they hate the business practice of paying for exclusives. They think it is "shady" and "unethical". Expecting Valve to fight back would involve more than just giving developers a bigger cut. That is't going to be enough when Epic is paying huge cash bonuses that would likely exceed whatever slight amount extra they might receive from Steam taking less of the pie. So the real way for Valve to fight back is to start signing exclusivity deals.

I bet 90% of the people who complain about this from a moral point of view or whatever would just remain silent then. Really, I think most people are just mad they can't play on their platform of choice. These same people wouldn't be out boycotting Steam saying what they are doing is wrong if they started doing what Epic does.

8 hours ago, Duski said:

You can get a re-loadable debit or gift card from about any store or super market as well though. Just do that.

Wal-Mart offers the Amex Bluebird and that has zero fees for pretty much everything.

10 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Wal-Mart offers the Amex Bluebird and that has zero fees for pretty much everything

Yes, Walmart, because everyone lives in the United States :)

2 minutes ago, Duski said:

Yes, Walmart, because everyone lives in the United States :)

It was just a suggestion in addition to pretty much every other super market. If you don't have one where you live, just go to another place and get the gift card or re-loadable debit like I said. ?

@Kawaii Koneko Problem is, as far as I know, Epic Store doesn't offer any gift cards like Steam or PlayStation does, so that really leaves me with no way of using their store. You mentioned re-loadable debit cards, not sure where to get these, I guess at a bank, but I'm a minor. 

6 minutes ago, Duski said:

@Kawaii Koneko Problem is, as far as I know, Epic Store doesn't offer any gift cards like Steam or PlayStation does, so that really leaves me with no way of using their store. You mentioned re-loadable debit cards, not sure where to get these, I guess at a bank, but I'm a minor. 

I don't mean a gift card from Epic, I mean an actual Visa or MasterCard branded gift card. These are cards offered by the credit card companies and sold in stores. You just pay the cashier however much you want on the card and then when you get home, you just enter it into Epic just like would a normal credit or debit card.

The re-loadable debit cards are also sold in stores but they usually carry some small fees. That's why I suggested the Bluebird since it is nearly fee free but it sounds like you can't get that because I believe it is only sold at Wal-Mart due to a deal between them and Amex.

Anyway, this is how it is in the U.S. Maybe these things aren't available in your country but I would check.

34 minutes ago, Kawaii Koneko said:

Expecting Valve to fight back would involve more than just giving developers a bigger cut.

That we know isbt happening because its unsustainable. EGS is just running in the negative untill they have a userbase to work with.

I've never seen the big deal with Epic and stuff. Sure, their launcher doesn't have nearly the features that Steam does, but I actually don't care about those. Lacking cloud saves? I kinda just save games on my computer like I have been for the last few decades...

All the community stuff? Don't care at all.

I just open up Steam and play whatever game I want. Like, okay some company took Epics money and made it a store exclusive. Game still costs $60 and does the only thing I care about, launches the game I paid for. ez day.

The ONLY launcher that I'm a bit iffy on is Origin, because I've read a lot of stories of peoples entire library's being wiped out. Like xcal who has played and streamed hundreds of hours of Mass Effect, suddenly lost his copy on Origin.

Other than that, I don't see why people give two shits.

RTX 2080 Founders Edition | Ryzen 7 2700x

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RTX ALL the things!

1 hour ago, DemonicTaco said:

The ONLY launcher that I'm a bit iffy on is Origin, because I've read a lot of stories of peoples entire library's being wiped out. Like xcal who has played and streamed hundreds of hours of Mass Effect, suddenly lost his copy on Origin.

One person losing a copy of his game or somehow losing their entire library has nothing to do with thousands upon thousands of other people not losing a single game. You say this xcal character streams, maybe someone had it out for him and found some information on his streams to get rid of said particular game(s) by hacking his account. Maybe xcal got rid of the game without knowing what he did. Who knows. Stories are stories.

I've had no issues whatsoever with Origin for many years and all of my library has been sitting pretty. I even sign into multiple accounts I used a long time ago to play games that I tagged to different accounts on different computers. Mass Effect 2 was actually that game. I got it for free a long time ago on my older computer and fortunately remembered the account email and password. Signed into that account on my current PC, installed the game and play it without issues.

There's a story to add to your reading collection in favor of Origin. Don't be iffy based on the stories of certain people. Get your own personal experience by simply using Origin yourself. Battlefield 1 and 4 and Star Wars Battlefront I and II hit $3.99 to $4.99 all the time and are worth beyond those prices if you're into those types of games. They even give out ALL the DLC for free randomly throughout the year. The best part, Origin games run flawlessly.