Nvidia RTX Super uses different tiers of GPUs?

While creating a new version of GPU-Z, adding support for Nvidia RTX super cards, W1zzard from TPU had noticed something very interesting. What he had noticed was, both RTX 2060 Super and RTX 2070 Super, have 3 separated Device IDs. RTX 2060 Super IDs are:1F06, 1F42, 1F47, and RTX 2070 Super Devices IDs are: 1E84, 1EC2, 1EC7. To understand what these Device IDs meant, and where they come from, we have to go back to the start of these RTX cards.

With no official word, I took a closer look at the actual values and remembered our NVIDIA segregates Turing GPUs article, that was part of the launch coverage for the initial GeForce RTX unveil. In that article, we revealed that NVIDIA is creating two models for each GPU,

The original RTX cards have 2 tiers of GPUs, both A and non-A. AIB who wants to factory overclock their GPUs will have to buy the more expensive A GPU, because Nvidia has forbidden factory overclock on the cheaper non-A GPU.These RTX Super cards on the other hand, Nvidia had ditched that idea and only release a single GPU for each of their Super cards.

Da9Cz81os5SKgBZR.jpg.7d9cfba4629228cc4fc7c7faea6bc955.jpg

Looking at the list above, there is only a single RTX 2080 super with a ID of 1E81. RTX 2060 Super and 2070 Super on the other hand have 3. RTX 2060 Super w/ID 1F06 and RTX 2070 Super w/ID 1E84 matches with the RTX Super FE from Nvidia. RTX 2060 Super w/IDs 1F42 and 1F47, along with RTX 2070 Super w/IDs 1EC2 and 1EC7, seems to come from the non Super RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 as indicated by the red arrows. Some users who purchased these Super cards have noticed, their card's device IDs is from those non Super cards, and are speculating whether or not it's possible to flash it, and turn them into their more faster non Super cards. However simple flash might not be as easy,

We imagine this is accomplished by simply re-configuring the cards to disable some components, but the method employed could be a bit more sophisticated than simply changing the video-BIOS and slapping on a new sticker. The reason why 40 Hex was chosen as a differentiator between both, is that it represents just a single bit difference in the device ID. Such a bit change is the smallest possible change, and we suspect it is implemented through a small resistor that gets soldered onto the PCB (or removed), which the GPU probes during its internal startup, and adjusts its reported device ID accordingly. It's for this reason that it may not be able to flash an RTX 2060 Super back to an RTX 2070 provided the PCBs and ASIC match; or flashing an RTX 2070 Super to an RTX 2080.

But who knows maybe there is a way, and let's hope tech geniuses out there comes will up with tool that can do so, so users who are lucky to get one of these cards, can unlock it to its full potential.

https://www.techpowerup.com/257776/nvidia-rtx-2060-super-and-rtx-2070-super-chips-come-in-three-variants-each-flashing-possible

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

In the time of competition, Nvidia had to pull an AMD and rebrand their cards...

why?

✨FNIGE✨

they re branded so people wont feel ripped off for the price dropping right after buying a new card.

instead they let on they released new products with "super" in its title.

44 minutes ago, SlimyPython said:

In the time of competition, Nvidia had to pull an AMD and rebrand their cards...

why?

NVIDIA released the 1030 with changes to hardware and didn't rebrand so everyone complained (rightly so)

NVIDIA releases RTX with hardware changes and this time rebrand's,  people still complain.

At this point NVIDIA could cure cancer, world poverty, and bring peace to the east and they'd still cop shit for it.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

NVIDIA released the 1030 with changes to hardware and didn't rebrand so everyone complained (rightly so)

NVIDIA releases RTX with hardware changes and this time rebrand's,  people still complain.

At this point NVIDIA could cure cancer, world poverty, and bring peace to the east and they'd still cop shit for it.

yep they definitely have a image problem like how everyone shit on EA when anthem turned out to be a disaster when i think it was actually mostly bioware's fault

6 hours ago, mr moose said:

pff improving mortality rates globally and allowing far more people to buy their products with their own money. Sickening. 

As long as it hits 2Ghz I don't mind. 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

I'm still sore about their ludicrous pricing now. To the point that I'm barely even reading anything about the current NV lineup. I just don't care about it at the current price point.

I like to get the top tier cards, but the £600+ price hike of the Ti models has put me off buying a new card for a good while.