10 Ways Mac OS is just BETTER

JonoT
On 8/3/2019 at 10:09 PM, Derkoli said:

Yeah, I've literally never heard of anyone using windows hello lol..

well now you have, I use it daily, several times a day as I put my computer to sleep when I take it to work so I use it to sign in at work, then again at the restaurant I eat dinner at every night after work then again when I get home, i've legitimately used it well over 1,000 times to sign in since I got this computer in late November/early December 2017 and I can count the number of times the facial rec failed and I had to enter my pin on my hands and those failures pretty much all happened when I had a light source directly behind me relative to the cameras angle (aka a flood of infrared light).

All things considered, regardless of the merits of the video, Linus can't really be surprised by the higher than usual dislike ratio.

After his previous Apple video (the one where he listed things iPhones are better at), it was beyond obvious that this one will perform poorly.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

3 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

well technically it was the Apple II or something like that, that my school had when I was in 3rd grade (circa 1993)

1993?  I was using an Apple II in 1983 (and before that). The Macintosh had been around for 9 years in 1993.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

2 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

it was beyond obvious that this one will perform poorly.

image.png.e896a3089f736207002e40fad16b6920.png

@LinusTech Is almost 1 million views in 1 day....over the weekend, no less..."performing poorly?"

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

Is almost 1 million views in 1 day....over the weekend, no less..."performing poorly?"

Yeah, I meant like/dislike ratio, not just viewership ?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 minute ago, Lathlaer said:

Yeah, I meant like/dislike ratio, not just viewership ?

about 20% dislike...That's still rated "Fresh" at rotten tomatoes...

image.png.6734b3b26234d96d00e86f21d2339a77.png

Not sure these films with similar or worse like/dislike ratio's are caring about that either.

1 minute ago, Video Beagle said:

about 20% dislike...That's still rated "Fresh" at rotten tomatoes...

Sure, you can look at it like that.

Or you can look at it like this: it's more dislikes than 10 other recent LTT videos combined ?

9 minutes ago, Lathlaer said:

Or you can look at it like this: it's more dislikes than 10 other recent LTT videos combined ?

While I grant I don't know how a youtube business works, I'd think the views are far more important than the popularity.

Taking it further, this video's prep work was James posting on the forum and twitter, and gathering the replies. No reaching out to vendors, no builds or test work. The production was pretty simple, just Linus sitting on camera talking. So, this would seem to be the equivilent of a tv "bottle show"...where they do an episode entirely on the standing sets to save money during a season....so "low cost" for high views...

21 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

While I grant I don't know how a youtube business works, I'd think the views are far more important than the popularity.

Yes they are but it's not that simple. 

Video's popularity is decided by how much a specific video is recommended to others. If it has unfavorable like/dislike ratio, it will not be recommended that much.

The title is catchy though and forces antagonistic views. It's not "10 reasons Mac users like MacOS". By using keywords like "it's better", the video makes people clash in the comments. 

You can observe the same trend with the iPhone video. Also did reasonably well but also got very high number of dislikes. Yet despite the fact it got disliked so many times, views went in because well, title is controversial by its nature.

Apple-related videos from channels with similar subs but more mainstream audience tend to get 3x more views (like MKBHD) but LTT's core audience is insanely anti-Apple and it shows when you compare it to the Android video. 

19 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

That's where the super OS comes into play.  Install Linux as a dual boot on a reasonably chosen windows comp*.  Then virtualize that partition.   Here's a nice friendly video about it.   This is NOT RECOMMENDED FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE CASUAL USERS.  

None of that is going to work in a corporate development environment. Dual boot, seriously? Nahh.

For say... using CUDA to accelerate heavy duty calculations.

If i want heavy duty calculations I will spin up as many EC2 instances, or Lambdas or whatever as I need for my load.

Building hardware to match your peak requirement and then leaving it idle the other 90% of the time is tremendously old school. Disposable, automated, composable, and scaleable software containers which are spun up as load increases and thrown away as it decreases is how you build big scalable systems nowadays. That's how Netflix, Facebook, Google, and Amazon build at their scale.

On 8/3/2019 at 9:29 PM, floofer said:

Meanwhile in the comments:

10 superfluous ways that Mac sucks according to people who have never used one. 

I have all the Apple devices.

I have never sent an imessage on my laptop or watch as I always have my iphone with me.

I dont use any peripherals.

I have never used airdrop. All my phone photos go into Facebook.

I do use multiple workspaces a lot

My macbook has lasted about 5 years!

20 hours ago, tridy said:

Thanks for your comments, scotarrt.

IDEs will depend on what frameworks, platforms, languages, cloud providers, etc. And there are different development groups. Some can show that their environment will run multiple, redundant, self-healing services on a single machine in a serverless environments without any containers "overhead" needed.

I don't understand how a service would be redundant if it runs on a single machine? I don't quite get the point you're making here, I think.

From time to time I do look at Linux and I just cannot make it work for me. A command like here and a script there - too much command line for me.

I do not think Git and Windows is a problem (anymore?) it is installed with Visual Studio if you need it. Visual Studio Code can do all the packaging in a similar manner. It is a matter of taste and learning how it works.

I don't know, because the first time I realised it was a gigantic pain in the ass was the last time I ever tried to adapt a Windows machine for use a development environment.

Someone else pointed out, 'what if worked at a company without Visual Studio'. That's true, maybe they do a lot of pair programming and need a standardised IDE so all the developers know the IDE on every machine. Or maybe they develop mostly in a language that isn't supported (Kotlin? Go? Python?).

However, my take on this is slightly different: Never be reliant on the IDE. IDEs are nice and all, and provide tremendous productivity to developers (i.e. refactoring), but in my view developers who get stuck in that groove are often bamboozled when confronted with a problem the IDE cannot solve or one it created in the first place. This I've found especially true of visual source control tools. I never use the one in Intellij or Pycharm. I always use `git` on the command line. 

I do sometimes use GitKraken to visualise what's going on with the branches, so that I can craft an effective strategy in a particularly tricky rebase or merge situation. But once I've done that, I'm usually running the commands with git in the shell ... and resolving merge conflicts with Atom, at most.

IMO, command like check out code, mvn, install ..., for Git + VS projects, the same can be done with like 5 clicks and F5. I am still surprised that people prefer typing commands instead of using visuals and UIs, but that's probably just me. There is a feel that you can and do more when using commands, I think.

Call me old school, but I did computer science when my school required most of its assignments written and submitted from your shell account on a SunOS server with dial-up access.

I think the logic with the command line runs like this: while a GUI feels more intuitive at first, and has an easier learning curve, however in the long run the command line is more flexible, more powerful, and most importantly, it's also composable:

$ cat infile.txt | acommand --option --doitproperly | anothercommand --works --verbose | finalcommand > outfile.txt

This is a large part of what I mean about the Unix Philosophy. Write small programs that do one thing well, and use a standard way to get input into and output from those programs.

Macs, because of the shell, and the underlying BSD roots, have this, and they have the GUI niceness. Linux has the former, and Windows has the latter, but in my experience, only Macs have both.

Edited by scotartt
trimmed dead quote at end

8 hours ago, scotartt said:

I don't understand how a service would be redundant if it runs on a single machine? I don't quite get the point you're making here, I think.

In Service Fabric, for example, there are several copies/nodes that are covering for each other, so if one goes down, another takes over it. All of this is running on the SF on the local machine. In the cloud different nodes will be on different machines, but that is handled automatically. There is no need to think vms, containers, etc.

I don't know, because the first time I realised it was a gigantic pain in the ass was the last time I ever tried to adapt a Windows machine for use a development environment.

Someone else pointed out, 'what if worked at a company without Visual Studio'. That's true, maybe they do a lot of pair programming and need a standardised IDE so all the developers know the IDE on every machine. Or maybe they develop mostly in a language that isn't supported (Kotlin? Go? Python?).

The company should not be controlling the tools you are using for your work. Most of the time I bring my own tools for the job. I do not rely on the company's tools. That is like this in every other aspects of live. You are not expected to have tools when a plumber comes to fix something, are you?

However, my take on this is slightly different: Never be reliant on the IDE. IDEs are nice and all, and provide tremendous productivity to developers (i.e. refactoring), but in my view developers who get stuck in that groove are often bamboozled when confronted with a problem the IDE cannot solve or one it created in the first place. This I've found especially true of visual source control tools. I never use the one in Intellij or Pycharm. I always use `git` on the command line. 

I do sometimes use GitKraken to visualise what's going on with the branches, so that I can craft an effective strategy in a particularly tricky rebase or merge situation. But once I've done that, I'm usually running the commands with git in the shell ... and resolving merge conflicts with Atom, at most.

All work in different ways, I use my own set of tools and have scripts that set the branches, checks out, etc. Sometimes I have to use command line, and command line will be the most able tool, there is no question there. What I do for myself is the hotkey that runs the script that, for example sets the branch, pulls the changes and opens IDE, instead of writing 2 commands in the command line and starting the IDE manually after that. It is not productive to write the same commands over and over again, I believe.

Call me old school, but I did computer science when my school required most of its assignments written and submitted from your shell account on a SunOS server with dial-up access.

I think the logic with the command line runs like this: while a GUI feels more intuitive at first, and has an easier learning curve, however in the long run the command line is more flexible, more powerful, and most importantly, it's also composable:

$ cat infile.txt | acommand --option --doitproperly | anothercommand --works --verbose | finalcommand > outfile.txt

Again, command line will always be the most powerful. GUIs most often run on top of the command lines. Command lines give you the ability to orchestrate the workflows and create scripts. I do that myself - I create my own GUIs that run those scripts, or assign the hotkeys. For example, if one is writing the full command line for "cat infile.txt ..." manually every hour, then it is not that productive.

This is a large part of what I mean about the Unix Philosophy. Write small programs that do one thing well, and use a standard way to get input into and output from those programs.

Interesting. This is where Microsoft PowerShell comes in, where it returns the objects and properties and there no need to "pipe" anything from one place to another. So, I give a point to PowerShell against any "text based" command line here. PowerShell does work on Mac and Linux as well, but I have never worked on Mac or Linux with PowerShell myself.

Macs, because of the shell, and the underlying BSD roots, have this, and they have the GUI niceness. Linux has the former, and Windows has the latter, but in my experience, only Macs have both.

The great thing about the command line is that one can create UI for that, but it is not possible (or hard) to script/command line where there is only UI.

Edited by tridy
Grammar

4 hours ago, scotartt said:

None of that is going to work in a corporate development environment. Dual boot, seriously? Nahh.

If i want heavy duty calculations I will spin up as many EC2 instances, or Lambdas or whatever as I need for my load.

Building hardware to match your peak requirement and then leaving it idle the other 90% of the time is tremendously old school. Disposable, automated, composable, and scaleable software containers which are spun up as load increases and thrown away as it decreases is how you build big scalable systems nowadays. That's how Netflix, Facebook, Google, and Amazon build at their scale.

Are we talking about peoples personal computers here... or are we talking about the servers they might have access to?  

In that case why have Unix on your personal computer at all?  Surely you can access a Unix Prompt on any one of those servers using old fashioned Telenet and a VT 100 terminal emulation program.   Use X11  to remotely run GUI applications.  Meanwhile, on your local machine you can be playing GTA Online at full speed.

Depending on the corporation they may be completely OK with you dual booting Linux and Windows or OSX and Windows, and/or virtualization of an OS.   In fact depending on the nature of your work it may even be required in some way.    As a developer certainly corporate IT understands you will both have unique needs AND the expertise to trouble shoot anything wrong with your own device

At least they do where I work.  They want all their computers on Windows but fully support whatever device you bring.   That is a college so they have to support whatever the students happen to bring... so that could be part of the reason...

On 8/4/2019 at 1:14 AM, Video Beagle said:

One thing, related to this....

People LOVE Macs.

(likewise, some people LOVE linux)

No one LOVES windows.....people USE windows....they may also "HATE" Macs....but they still don't LOVE Windows.

I've always found that interesting.

Meh, I personally love Windows 7 (mostly). I do indeed hate Windows 10 (it's awful in many ways imo), but am sadly forced to use it. :/ 

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

6 hours ago, Lathlaer said:

but LTT's core audience is insanely anti-Apple and it shows when you compare it to the Android video. 

hey hey hey, we aren't "insane" for being anti-apple, we are anti-apple because it's not intuitive for someone thats used windows since Windows 3.1

seriously no right click contextual menu's on MacOS (last I looked anyway) and no standardized back button within easy reach like android has in it's bottom row (which NEVER moves, unlike the back button on iOS).

7 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

1993?  I was using an Apple II in 1983 (and before that). The Macintosh had been around for 9 years in 1993.

it may have been a Mac II, all I know is it was an Apple computer which we played Oregon Trail on  and we had like maybe 2 of them in the corner of the classroom and I was like 8 or 9 at the time and this was one of the schools our school was sharing the building with after Hurricane Andrew in late 1992 since our school building was damaged by the hurricane.

55 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

seriously no right click contextual menu's on MacOS (last I looked anyway)

Here's a "right click" contextual menu in Waterfox (left) and Finder (right).

image.png.e46942150ecac9cf6b9c5ce7be335bda.pngimage.png.a591f213220e1a51d2601b560f617868.png

There's been contextual menus since...well, can't remember OS9 too much right now, but likely in there, and before.

And if you don't have a two button mouse, there's STILL the contextual menu using Control-Click, or gestures or whatever your device uses.

That YOU don't know about common features of the OS doesn't mean they're not there.

49 minutes ago, Daniel644 said:

it may have been a Mac II, all I know is it was an Apple computer which we played Oregon Trail on  and we had like maybe 2 of them in the corner of the classroom and I was like 8 or 9 at the time...

Your inability to know the difference between an Apple II and maybe a Macintosh II...or your unsure remembrance of using what would have been a 3-6 year old computer when you were 8 almost a quarter of century ago, might mean that perhaps the opinions and/or information you have about it might be....at best... out of date, if not flat out ill informed.

5 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

hey hey hey, we aren't "insane" for being anti-apple, we are anti-apple because it's not intuitive for someone thats used windows since Windows 3.1

I'm not calling you (or anyone anti-Apple here for that matter) insane. 

My use of the word "insanely" was a colloquialism, you can substitute it with "significantly".

11 hours ago, Video Beagle said:

Your inability to know the difference between an Apple II and maybe a Macintosh II...or your unsure remembrance of using what would have been a 3-6 year old computer when you were 8 almost a quarter of century ago, might mean that perhaps the opinions and/or information you have about it might be....at best... out of date, if not flat out ill informed. 

thats not the only Mac i've had my hands on, I had to install a printer for 2 different clients that had Macbooks (the modern thin ones from the last few years) one of the printers had to connect over wifi, it took me 3-4 times longer to get shit working then it does take me to do it on Windows. That reference to when I was a kid was simply to show how long I had been around Mac's, oh and 3 of my sisters have Macbooks in their houses as well.

20 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

In that case why have Unix on your personal computer at all?  Surely you can access a Unix Prompt on any one of those servers using old fashioned Telenet and a VT 100 terminal emulation program.   Use X11  to remotely run GUI applications.  Meanwhile, on your local machine you can be playing GTA Online at full speed.

i'm talking about my local computer. my laptop.  it has to have a good bash shell. "telnet" (what, surely you mean ssh) and "VT100 emulation program", lol wut? That's called a bash prompt in Terminal.

22 hours ago, tridy said:

In Service Fabric, for example, there are several copies/nodes that are covering for each other, so if one goes down, another takes over it. All of this is running on the SF on the local machine. In the cloud different nodes will be on different machines, but that is handled automatically. There is no need to think vms, containers, etc.

Oh right, now I gotcha. Yeah that's what we do with kubernetes and istio.

The rest of what you wrote, I mostly agree with.

1 hour ago, scotartt said:

i'm talking about my local computer. my laptop.  it has to have a good bash shell. "telnet" (what, surely you mean ssh) and "VT100 emulation program", lol wut? That's called a bash prompt in Terminal.

I'm old.  To me Bash and SSH are just overlays on underlying tech which I used as a kid. 

Bash is a program the emulates the old VT 100 terminal, which was hardware  from the 1970's,  so are pretty much all command prompts.  Many of the keyboard commands you are used to were first implemented in it as it was the first to adhere to the ANSI standard.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#Platform_support , https://kb.iu.edu/d/acpy  

The program is called "terminal"  WHY DID YOU THINK THAT WAS? 

Telenet is the technology, behind the technology of the internet.  It is one of the original components of it which was available to ordinary people.  At one point a terminal program, a vt100 terminal emulator,  was the only way to get on the internet.  Porno took a long time to download in those days... mainly I wanted to see if it could be done. 

So yes  use your VT-100 terminal emulator to telenet into the servers and run the code.  WarGames style.   If you really are such a hotshot whipper snapper!    Then you dont even need a local unix machine.   If not save a lot and use linux. 

All of which makes a 39 year old sound really old fashioned ... Music to read this post by

so with my Mac I run Xcode, wineskin and Crossover to use windows os downlaods and software without loading another OS on the systems allowing my Mac OS to translate to windows commands on a virtual Windows.. That all being said can you tell me performance wise how this method vs. boot camp which one works better in detail? I know I have tried both but my experience always seems to be that the trio feels more fluid and responsive than using bootcamp. LINUS TEAM GO!

20 hours ago, Uttamattamakin said:

I'm old.  To me Bash and SSH are just overlays on underlying tech which I used as a kid. 

Bash is a program the emulates the old VT 100 terminal, which was hardware  from the 1970's,  so are pretty much all command prompts.  Many of the keyboard commands you are used to were first implemented in it as it was the first to adhere to the ANSI standard.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANSI_escape_code#Platform_support , https://kb.iu.edu/d/acpy  

The program is called "terminal"  WHY DID YOU THINK THAT WAS? 

Telenet is the technology, behind the technology of the internet.  It is one of the original components of it which was available to ordinary people.  At one point a terminal program, a vt100 terminal emulator,  was the only way to get on the internet.  Porno took a long time to download in those days... mainly I wanted to see if it could be done. 

Dude, i'm way older than you. You were ... 8 or 9 years old when i enrolled in computer science. When i built my first linux kernel (i.e. compiled it) I got a four-port serial card, put it in my PC, and then went dumpster diving up in the local tech park and came back with a couple of VT220 terminals which I RS-232'd to a couple of the serial ports. Instant multi-user local login.

Oh, do you know why you login to a "terminal" it used to be assigned an identifier like "ttyS0"? TTY means teletype. So .. you know how "vi" has two parts, "vi" and "ed" (ed's the bit you get when you type esc-:)? It's like that because it's meant to run on a teletype. You would "ed" somefile, then type ':g1" and the teletype would print line 1. Then you'd edit it e.g. s/mispeling/misspelling/ and voila! it would print the corrected line 1. You could even  "cat" the whole file and it would proceed to print, literally, on the teletype. No need for "more" or "less", those programs didn't make sense on a teletype.

Look at this command line output in terminal in a mac:

$ w
21:06  up 3 days, 19:39, 18 users, load averages: 1.38 1.54 1.64
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@  IDLE WHAT
xxxxxxx  console  -                Sun01   3days -
xxxxxxx  s000     -                Sun01    2:34 -bash

It's still called a "TTY".

I work in aviation, we still have data formats that are meant to be wrapped as "TYPE B" teletype messages. They are 5-bit (ONLY CAPS ALLOWED).

Oh, yeah, also one computer i worked on had old-fashioned "core" memory (Linus shows that off in that Saturn-V computer video). those magnetic cores are why you'll still find a file called "core" written to the storage when Linux does a "coredump".

Anyway, /bin/sh and its descendants like bash do not emulate the terminal. /bin/sh is a command interpreter, primarily. 

lmao, kids today, get off my lawn, etc.