Should I even bother with RTX Quake 2 ?

Turtle Rig
1 minute ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

You know, we should compare with each other, Your RTX 2080 with raytracing quake against my Nvidia Vanta 16MB GPU in my windows 98 gaming machine

See how much of a change there is

Yes tell me about it my friend sighs

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 minute ago, Turtle Rig said:

Yes tell me about it my friend sighs

We could. Theres a normal quake 2 demo I could get, run in 98 then we could compare RTX versus real hardware of the time.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

1 minute ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

We could. Theres a normal quake 2 demo I could get, run in 98 then we could compare RTX versus real hardware of the time.

Neat idea.  I remember quake 1 and quake 2 and quack 3 arena.  But now we have Quake Champions the best frag game ever in the history of gaming.  These stupid war games are so cheesy.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

21 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

Thanks dude let me prune the biaatch!  I mean if the character looked nice then fine, bu it was 3 colors brown freakin 1995 graphics lol

1995, sure, the graphics engine is basically work from 1990 or before, this thing is ancient

the best thing nvidia could come with to increase price on their gpus, it should come in the box with each rtx gpu, play quake II! it just works!

I rather play modded + ray traced Minecraft instead.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

2 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Is it worth paying 4.99 for full game

2 hours ago, LukeTheCoder05 said:

Well see if you like how it feels and plays before you shell out 5 bucks

Quake II was $1.64 from July 23rd to July 31st on Steam, Humble, Fanatical and GameBillet. You literally just missed it. And for a two decade plus game, it's well worth it. It plays much better than you'd expect for a game released in 1997. My i5 paired with a 1070 is just enough to get the following results in Quake II RTX...

• 1440p = FPS from 6, 7, 10, 12.
  • 1080p = FPS from 11, 12, 18, 21.
  • 900p = FPS from 16, 17, 25, 29.
  • 1280x1024 = FPS from 17, 19, 27, 32.
  • 720p = FPS from 23, 26, 38, 43.
  • 800x600 = FPS from 43, 47, 67, 76.

First number is with both Global Illumination and Caustics ON.

Second number is with Global Illumination ON and Caustics OFF.

Third number is with Global Illumination OFF and Caustics ON.

Fourth number is with both Global Illumination and Caustics OFF.

The rest of the graphic settings make little to no difference towards fps. And with RTX OFF FPS is at 999 no matter what the settings are at.

Surprisingly, lowering the resolution in Quake II is a very playable experience. 1440p is beyond unplayable no matter what. 1080p is laggy as can be but looks the best when it comes to actually being able to play it. 900p doesn't feel smooth and is just outside of enjoyable. The other three resolutions are the ones that are very enjoyable, on my i5/1070 that is.

I highly recommend snagging it for $1.64 in the near future. If history repeats itself for the umpteenth time, it's going to hit around that price again very soon.

P.S. People have already created mods for Quake II RTX that let you tweak individual graphic settings even more in the in-game settings to help get better performance.

8 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

I heard about Quake 2 and a remake with Ray Tracing.  Should I even bother that game is soo old like twenty+ years old. 

20 year old games can still be very enjoyable. it depends on what games you like. 

is it gonna be shitty looking and make me barf and what not.   Thanks all

it's going to look "shitty" because it's old. that's just how it is. 

How said 25 years later they still wanna bank on Quake 2 ......... damn id software so greedy.  Im paying 4.99 for a 1996 game lol so I can see RTX version which looked nice,, but wtf can't they give the game for free and sh*T...Is it worth paying 4.99 for full game then playing RTX version, being full game and what not ?

basic economics. time=money. they spent time programming in the ray tracing, and you, the consumer, has to pay for that. 

7 hours ago, Turtle Rig said:

Then I went to choose my player setup or characters and the characters looked aweful,  My crap looks better then the characters.  So wtf,, I didn't wanna launch a game, cuz firstly I dont like 60fps and my COCD doesn't like it also the characters looked like shit all boxy and fuked up looking like its a 30 year old game. 

WTF  Once I get in game will the characters look like this.... So I exited out.  pos

it's old. that's what it looked like back then. the textures weren't updated. how hard is that to understand??

She/Her

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

it's going to look "shitty" because it's old. that's just how it is. that's what it looked like back then. the textures weren't updated. how hard is that to understand??

Completely disagree. Doesn't look shitty at all to me. I dunno what y'all are lookin' at. The textures and lighting are clearly updated...

qrtxoff.thumb.jpg.bfb60f6dbff141b394c8c3e3be7d3329.jpg

qrtxon.thumb.jpg.27c5581d20c53d786acbd0120be110a9.jpg

Reminds me of a heavily modded version of Minecraft. Easily makes a 1997 game look like a 2017 game. Back around over 20 Christmases ago, Quake II basically set the tone of what a first person shooter is capable of. The graphics, weapons and how you essentially moved around made a huge leap from almost every first person shooter before it. And it shows in Quake II RTX.

5 hours ago, Twilight said:

basic economics. time=money. they spent time programming in the ray tracing, and you, the consumer, has to pay for that.

Yup, all of my $1.64 is money well spent for Quake II. Last week I chose to just buy 2 tacos instead of 3 so I could afford Quake II for $1.64. So if you think about it, technically I bought 2 tacos and got Quake II for free.

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

Completely disagree. Doesn't look shitty at all to me. I dunno what y'all are lookin' at. The textures and lighting are clearly updated...

qrtxoff.thumb.jpg.bfb60f6dbff141b394c8c3e3be7d3329.jpg

qrtxon.thumb.jpg.27c5581d20c53d786acbd0120be110a9.jpg

Reminds me of a heavily modded version of Minecraft. Easily makes a 1997 game look like a 2017 game. Back around over 20 Christmases ago, Quake II basically set the tone of what a first person shooter is capable of. The graphics, weapons and how you essentially moved around made a huge leap from almost every first person shooter before it. And it shows in Quake II RTX.

Yup, all of my $1.64 is money well spent for Quake II. Last week I chose to just buy 2 tacos instead of 3 so I could afford Quake II for $1.64. So if you think about it, technically I bought 2 tacos and got Quake II for free.

it looks good until you se the framerate and then a enemy comes, and looks like crap, moves like crap, shoots like crap and has a crap ai, this game is not worth it, definitively

10 hours ago, Twilight said:

20 year old games can still be very enjoyable. it depends on what games you like. 

1993 DOOM

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

4 hours ago, goto10 said:

it looks good until you se the framerate and then a enemy comes, and looks like crap, moves like crap, shoots like crap and has a crap ai

You just described the beauty part. You can play the game at a playable and stable 43 fps with it looking good or play the game at 999 fps with it playing good.

In the words of Daniel Stern, the 0:30 mark...

4 hours ago, goto10 said:

this game is not worth it, definitively

This game is beyond worth the price of a taco. You just have to be into old school first person shooters.

You just described the beauty part. You can play the game at a playable and stable 43 fps with it looking good or play the game at 999 fps with it playing good.

In the words of Daniel Stern, the 0:30 mark...

This game is beyond worth the price of a taco. You just have to be into old school first person shooters.

said no one ever

old fps are crap, like that one, barely doom remains as a classic and that is debatable, a good old fps come after the year 2000, before that, well, pass

tf2 is from 2007 iirc, cs go is from the same date

those are not what i call fps, those are online games that kept evolving, pure fps like for example blood, doom, hexen and the like, while live on the memory of some of us, they should stay there, on our memories

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

said no one ever

q21.png.79e714593d40f374c50a23970fa9d3f9.pngq22.png.9f4f0db6da3b8d8683b93be23711aaa6.png

1 hour ago, goto10 said:

old fps are crap, like that one, barely doom remains as a classic and that is debatable, a good old fps come after the year 2000, before that, well, pass

hl7.png.dbb0a719c007433b9e8c5f9e5bfd8ab4.png

You are entitled to your own opinion but it appears to be just that, an opinion.

32 minutes ago, goto10 said:

pure fps like for example blood, doom, hexen and the like, while live on the memory of some of us, they should stay there, on our memories

For some of us, those games are in our memories. For others, those games are still being played. And when you get to bump up the resolution and frame rate, throw in some modern RTX features, there's really no reason to keep these games in our memories when they have been upgraded into something right up our alley and utilized with our current graphic cards that we paid hundreds of dollars for. How on earth can you go wrong for the price of a taco? You know you're gonna play Blood or Doom or Hexen and the like if it is RTX'd. Just because you didn't get much into Quake II doesn't mean other people didn't. I do understand where you're coming from but some people have been playing through Quake II RTX and have found it to be quite enjoyable. I will admit, it took me by surprise.

If you've actually given it a go and the frame rate isn't to your liking, try bumping down the resolution. I thought that in doing so it would ruin the experience but to my discovery it actually doesn't ruin it at all. I'm actually enjoying 800x600 resolution. In most other games that resolution is terrible but for Quake II it somehow works. If you're into Doom, you like fast pace. Try playing it at a faster pace. It's beautiful.

a bunch of reviews of people who played it years ago and never had better games means nothing, even if you use a yellow colored circle to point at them, old games are old, let them go

11 minutes ago, goto10 said:

a bunch of reviews of people who played it years ago and never had better games means nothing, even if you use a yellow colored circle to point at them, old games are old, let them go

This is just your opinion. The yellow circles clearly show that your statement, "said no one ever" is false. Read the reviews. And the thousands of reviews for Quake II RTX were not from people who never had better games and were literally submitted within the past 60 days. If you think all those thousands of people don't have better games in their Steam libraries then I dunno what else to tell ya'. And thank you for your comments on this topic, they come from a different angle.

1 minute ago, Intransigent said:

This is just your opinion. The yellow circles clearly show that your statement, "said no one ever" is false. Read the reviews. And the thousands of reviews for Quake II RTX were not from people who never had better games and were literally submitted within the past 60 days. If you think all those thousands of people don't have better games in their Steam libraries then I dunno what else to tell ya'. And thank you for your comments on this topic, they come from a different angle.

exactly, opinion, this post is about opinions, nothing more, you dont need to prove anything or dedust old pages with old game reviews to prove anything, these are opinions, no need to attack or defend, chill out and play your half life game all you want

21 minutes ago, goto10 said:

this post is about opinions, nothing more, dedust old pages with old game reviews to prove anything

If it's nothing more, why continue to provide false statements?

quake333.png.fbdba860d9936a0151b5766d59f267e2.png

It's not an old game. It was released less than 2 months ago. Sure Quake II is old, but Quake II RTX is not.

21 minutes ago, goto10 said:

no need to attack or defend, chill out and play your half life game all you want

This statement in itself is a clear attack. But you see, I'm not one to attack or defend. I merely show what is fact and what is opinion. I enjoy discussion on this topic. You can attack all you want. You can think I attack or defend all you wish. It's just more opinions in my book. As long as we're talking about bothering with Quake II RTX this thread shouldn't get cleaned. I'm not attempting to tell you off. I'm attempting to give us something to do since we're both here and willing to communicate freely.

Did you know that in 1998, PC Gamer declared Quake II as the 3rd-best computer game ever released, and the editors called it "id's gun-happy masterpiece is the most sensational and subtle shooter ever, and one of the best games of any type ever created"? That's saying something right there.

P.S. I've never played the original Half-Life.

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

quake II is only 2 months old!

Now you're just wanting me to correct you over and over aren't you? I don't mind...

quak33.png.d5df8c9e7c8a24f37634a2e12a2e13c0.png

Did you know that Next Generation reviewed the PC version of Quake II, rating it four stars out of five, and stated that "All in all, id should be commended for the advancement of its technology and improvement in its single-player level design, but it's going to be up to mod designers to provide the necessary additions to the multiplayer game in order to make it stand out from Quake."?

that green circle explains all, we must buy that game! support rtx and the game devs!

20 minutes ago, goto10 said:

that green circle explains all, we must buy that game! support rtx and the game devs!

Except Quake II RTX costs you nothing. It was also a pet project by someone at NVIDIA meaning if the developer(s) wasn't doing it in their spare time, there was no real money sunk into them other than what they were going to be paid anyway. Plus all you need to run it is some copy of Quake II, be it the original, from Steam, or even a demo.

image.png.4dec9a40978fb324e6b9077c6519e8a0.png

In short, it's not really a product being sold. It's a mod. Or again, it's a tech demo.

And sure, while the modern FPS has evolved into a complex web of features and graphics, there's still a charm about the simplicity of older FPS games. And this is exactly what DOOM 2016 captured and why it was praised. If you want an FPS game where all you do is run around and shoot stuff at a fast pace with a handful of satisfying to use weapons, DOOM provided that. Every other FPS I have is on some varying level of complexity that slows down the action.

P.S. I've never played the original Half-Life.

Wat.

Play Black Mesa: Source at least.

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti