Should I even bother with RTX Quake 2 ?

Turtle Rig
50 minutes ago, Andreas Lilja said:

Wat. Play Black Mesa: Source at least.

I'm currently playing Half-Life 2. I just completed Estranged Acts I and II before it so I wanted to make sure I played Half-Life 2 next because I enjoyed Estranged so much. What's Black Mesa: Source? I've heard of Black Mesa but not Black Mesa: Source.

iirc is a attempt to recreate all half life 1 into the source engine, so you play half life 1 with half life 2 graphics

1 hour ago, Intransigent said:

What's Black Mesa: Source? I've heard of Black Mesa but not Black Mesa: Source.

It's an officially sanctioned fan game to bring the original Half-Life 1 to the graphical quality of Half-Life 2. It contains everything up until the last two chapters, which arguably isn't a bad thing. The last two chapters of the original Half-Life 1 was everyone's least favorite. Still, you get a good amount of content.

The project was from when Half-Life 2 originally came out, there was a straight port of Half-Life 1 to the Source Engine and the creators were not satisfied . They wanted it upgraded, so they did it themselves.

EDIT: If you've heard of Black Mesa, then you probably know what it is, as it's called Black Mesa, not Black Mesa: Source.

13 hours ago, goto10 said:

iirc is a attempt to recreate all half life 1 into the source engine, so you play half life 1 with half life 2 graphics

Do you ever play the 1997 first person shooter GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64? It's before your year 2000 threshold and the 240p graphics are terrible but the gameplay still holds up and a lot of people still play it these days even though it's about to be 22 years old in approximately 3 weeks from today.

4 minutes ago, Intransigent said:

Do you ever play the 1997 first person shooter GoldenEye 007 on the Nintendo 64? It's before your year 2000 threshold and the graphics are terrible but the gameplay still holds up and a lot of people still play it these days even though it's about to be 22 years old in approximately 3 weeks from today.

To add to this, honestly many single player FPS campaigns pretty much can thank either GoldenEye or Half-Life.

Because they all have the same basic structure as those two.

20 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

To add to this, honestly many single player FPS campaigns pretty much can thank either GoldenEye or Half-Life. Because they all have the same basic structure as those two.

Yup. Totally true. It literally introduced things into existence like atmospheric single player missions, stealth elements and a console multiplayer deathmatch mode. They need to ray trace more games like GoldenEye 007. Sure there's Goldeneye: Source but it be great to play the original GoldenEye 64 ray traced. It's not an nvidia game engine but force it to work please. People would play it. They'd eat it up. Especially if it hit Steam. They should just figure out how to ray trace old console games period. It be like bringing our childhood back from the dead and would make backwards compatibility a thing of the past. It might even force more console players to switch to PC.

Think about it... GoldenEye 007 64 ray traced vs playing something like Black for the original Xbox on an Xbox One. Which one ya' gonna want to play? As long as they can figure out how to get more fps than a console would get, I'm playing GoldenEye 007 ray traced simply because I can already play Black for the original Xbox on my PC and at much higher frame rate than Xbox One.