Help me choose 24-port /1Gbs/managed switch for home network.

g g d h

Hello!

I need a suggestion from more experienced users which switch to buy for a new house. I have CAT5e network laid with 15U rack cabinet waiting to be populated with networking gear. Straight away I will have my NAS connected and file server in the future.

I don't expect light-speed connections, just solid and hopefully low maintenance solution.

Budget around 250€, but I can bet there are great switches for much less - I just have no time to study them all...

Cheers!

How do you want it managed? l2/l3? cli? what features do you need?

Netgears are fine, but I kinda hate the web ui. 

I have a used aruba s2500, works well, but mostly cli, and kinda loud. Pretty cheap at about 100 bucks.

TBH i dont know what are my options when "features" are considered ;) I am not into networking. I know I want to have control over IPs and bandwidths.

17 hours ago, g g d h said:

TBH i dont know what are my options when "features" are considered ;) I am not into networking. I know I want to have control over IPs and bandwidths.

what do you mean by control over IPs?

Do you want to limit bandwidth per port? Is this to the wan or the local network? 

It is going to be a simple LAN network within one building. Circa 12 wall sockets and 2 or 3 access points / routers (we will see how building structure interfers with wireless signal...). 

And by IPs i mean i want to be able to allocate specific numbers to specific sockets - i had enough issues with conflicts in the past to go through it again...

I know very little about network configuration and my explanations may sound a bit naive ?

139$ : Refurbished: Dell 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch S60-44-AC-R

https://www.unixplus.com/collections/network-switches/products/refurbished-dell-48-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-s60-44-ac-r

1x S60-44-AC-R
2x power supplies
1x 10Gb Uplink Module

25$ extra Dell 331-5233 ( 2-port 10 GbE high-speed uplink module (SFP+) )     https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6MG6-Dell-S60-10GE-2S-2-10-GbE-SFP-high-speed-uplink-module/282578479073?hash=item41cafd67e1:g:KNQAAOSwm~daTv2i

(switch supports maximum 2 modules, 4 10sfp+ ports)

Dell documentation : https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/shared-content/data-sheets/en/Documents/ESG-Dell-Force10-S60-Spec-Sheet.pdf

The Force10 Networking S Series S60 is a high-performance 1/10GbE access switch optimized for lowering operational costs at the network edge. The S60 answers the key challenges related to network congestion in data center top-of-rack (ToR) and service provider aggregation deployments. As the use of bursty applications and services continue to increase, huge spikes in network traffic that can cause network congestion and packet loss also become more common. The S60 is equipped with one of the industry’s largest packet buffers (1.25GB), enabling it to deliver lower application latency and maintain predictable network performance even when faced with significant spikes in network traffic. Providing 48 GbE ports and up to four optional 10GbE uplinks in just 1RU, the S60 conserves valuable rack space. Further, the S60 design delivers unmatched configuration flexibility, high reliability, and power and cooling efficiency to reduce costs

If you don't care about 10g ports (this switch suports some 10g modules but kinda not common or easy to use so best to ignore the option)

90$ : Refurbished: Brocade Foundry FastIron LS 648 48-Port 10/100/1000 Switch FLS648

https://www.unixplus.com/collections/network-switches/products/refurbished-brocade-foundry-fastiron-ls-648-48-port-10-100-1000-switch-fls648

48x 10/100/1000 Mbps RJ-45 Ethernet ports
4x ports are combination RJ45-SFP ports.
Up to two 10-Gigabit Ethernet slots configurable with single-port 10-Gigabit Ethernet pluggable modules.

Datasheet: https://teamkci.com/wp-content/uploads/Foundry-FastIron-LS-Series-Datasheet.pdf

The FastIron LS series provides organizations with a scalable “pay-as-you-grow” architecture in a compact form. Featuring redundant power, 10-Gigabit Ethernet upgradeability for high capacity connectivity to the network backbone, the FastIron LS delivers the scalability, low latency, and resilience needed to implement a high-value solution that can scale to meet future growth at the network edge. 

Combining Fast Ethernet, and Gigabit Ethernet with a robust feature set, advance security, exceptional quality of service assurance and intelligent fault detection, the FastIron LS series offers maximum productivity and investment protection, while enabling the deployment of intelligent edge solutions delivering Ethernet services to laptops, servers, workstations, mobile networks, wireless LAN networks, and other Ethernet connected endpoints. 

The FastIron LS series are designed to conserve space and power. Their one rack unit height and shallow depth (~33 cm/13 inches) allow them to be installed in cabinets in which larger systems are not supported.

Many thanks for these two options. Just to make it clear: the cabinet i have already hung on the wall is;

>> Rack cabinet <<

The equipment you are suggesting will fit there with zero problems? 

Size: 1 RU, 1.7 h x 17.32 w x 16.73” d (4.3 h x 44 w x 42.5 cm d)

Weight: 14.39 lbs (6.54 kg)

The racks are standardized ... so the width and height shouldn't be a problem. The depth is 42.5cm , your rack says it's 45cm deep, so it should be fine.

The Brocade switch is only 33cm deep, so it will definitely work.

The Dell is definitely worth the price, but note that it does not have a web management interface, only a command line (you connect using serial or usb cable and use  putty or some terminal software and type commands). I don't think it would be difficult to use, it may just take you an hour or two to get used to it.

Here's more documentation if you want to research:

1. Dell Configuration Guide for theS60 System : PDF link

2. Dell Command LineReference Guide for the S60 System : PDF link

If you want more user friendly, the Brocade model does have web management.  Docs : 80199-000_FastIronconfig.pdf

On 8/2/2019 at 1:25 PM, g g d h said:

t is going to be a simple LAN network within one building. Circa 12 wall sockets and 2 or 3 access points / routers (we will see how building structure interfers with wireless signal...). 

You probalby want poe then

On 8/2/2019 at 1:25 PM, g g d h said:

And by IPs i mean i want to be able to allocate specific numbers to specific sockets - i had enough issues with conflicts in the past to go through it again...

IPS are allocated by the dhcp server, normally on the router. DO you need subnets/vlans?

1 hour ago, g g d h said:

Many thanks for these two options. Just to make it clear: the cabinet i have already hung on the wall is;

>> Rack cabinet <<

The equipment you are suggesting will fit there with zero problems? 

most switches should fit in there, there not very deep

Since you don't know about networking, id just get a basic unmanaged switch, I don't think you need a managed switch from what you describe, id get poe if your acess points support poe.

Can you link an example of a switch you are talking about? 

1 hour ago, g g d h said:

Can you link an example of a switch you are talking about? 

do you need poe?

Here is a unmanaged switch, simple and should work fine for what you listed. I don't think you need a managed switch from what you have said.

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Ethernet-Unmanaged-Rackmount-GS324-100NAS/dp/B01AX8XGQI/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=24+port+switch&amp;qid=1564877991&amp;s=electronics&amp;sr=1-3

If you want maanged, you can get a managed version of that switch, or you can get something like a used dell porwerconnect, but really, I think a unmanaged switch is fine here.

I didn't mention that I will have a TV box running off that switch (I am getting fiber in a new house, so LAN+TV). Will unmanaged switch handle it as well? Or it works only as a pass-through?

11 hours ago, g g d h said:

I didn't mention that I will have a TV box running off that switch (I am getting fiber in a new house, so LAN+TV). Will unmanaged switch handle it as well? Or it works only as a pass-through?

What type of tv? Is the switch using IP and connecting to your network like any other device?

If so, then A unamanged switch will work fine.

Good to know!

Many thanks for your advices! I will not make it more complicated than it needs to be.

i would suggest 2x 10 G LACP for the uplink especially if you are hosting services outside the subnet of the switch. this would be every important as you expand network out. 

if you are going to provide high speed internet to these 24 ports you may find the 10G port very useful especially as internet to home starts to exceed 1 GBps.

+1 with the 2 port 10 GbE uplink

139$ : Refurbished: Dell 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch S60-44-AC-R

https://www.unixplus.com/collections/network-switches/products/refurbished-dell-48-port-gigabit-ethernet-switch-s60-44-ac-r

1x S60-44-AC-R
2x power supplies
1x 10Gb Uplink Module

25$ extra Dell 331-5233 ( 2-port 10 GbE high-speed uplink module (SFP+) )     https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6MG6-Dell-S60-10GE-2S-2-10-GbE-SFP-high-speed-uplink-module/282578479073?hash=item41cafd67e1:g:KNQAAOSwm~daTv2i

8 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

i would suggest 2x 10 G LACP for the uplink especially if you are hosting services outside the subnet of the switch. this would be every important as you expand network out. 

+1 with the 2 port 10 GbE uplink

139$ : Refurbished: Dell 48-Port Gigabit Ethernet Switch S60-44-AC-R

1x S60-44-AC-R
2x power supplies
1x 10Gb Uplink Module

25$ extra Dell 331-5233 ( 2-port 10 GbE high-speed uplink module (SFP+) )     https://www.ebay.com/itm/M6MG6-Dell-S60-10GE-2S-2-10-GbE-SFP-high-speed-uplink-module/282578479073?hash=item41cafd67e1:g:KNQAAOSwm~daTv2i

Id probably stay away from that s60 due to the noise and power consumption. There are much quieter low power switches with 10gbe uplinks if op wants that like the mikrotikhttps://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-CSS326-24G-2S-RM-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B0723DT6MN/ref=asc_df_B0723DT6MN/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&amp;linkCode=df0&amp;hvadid={creative}&amp;hvpos={adposition}&amp;hvnetw=o&amp;hvrand={random}&amp;hvpone=&amp;hvptwo=&amp;hvqmt=e&amp;hvdev=c&amp;hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&amp;hvlocint=&amp;hvlocphy=&amp;hvtargid=pla-4583451663524661&amp;psc=1

That s60 seems to use about 150w, so that will add up to the powerbill for features that don't seem to be needed here.

ALso OP do you want 10gbe as there are many standards, Id try to get better than cat 5e if you want 10g base-t, but fiber is cheaper and better in most ways if you want 10gbe.

7 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id probably stay away from that s60 due to the noise and power consumption. There are much quieter low power switches with 10gbe uplinks if op wants that like the mikrotikhttps://www.amazon.com/Mikrotik-CSS326-24G-2S-RM-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B0723DT6MN/ref=asc_df_B0723DT6MN/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&amp;linkCode=df0&amp;hvadid={creative}&amp;hvpos={adposition}&amp;hvnetw=o&amp;hvrand={random}&amp;hvpone=&amp;hvptwo=&amp;hvqmt=e&amp;hvdev=c&amp;hvdvcmdl={devicemodel}&amp;hvlocint=&amp;hvlocphy=&amp;hvtargid=pla-4583451663524661&amp;psc=1

That s60 seems to use about 150w, so that will add up to the powerbill for features that don't seem to be needed here.

my suggestion is to ensure the switch has 10 G ports for up links for WAN.

stay away from switches that dont provide modules for 10 g.

when you start paying for switches you pay for features and also for the brand. in some cases especially with cisco some protocols are propitiatory and you must have all same gear to talk to one another (pagp for example). 

i never heard of mikrotik but i dont think it will matter much as you arnt running a big enterprise.

pick switch that has features you need.

3 minutes ago, tech.guru said:

my suggestion is to ensure the switch has 10 G ports for up links for WAN.

stay away from switches that dont provide modules for 10 g.

when you start paying for switches you pay for features and also for the brand. in some cases especially with cisco some protocols are propitiatory and you must have all same gear to talk to one another (pagp for example). 

i never heard of mikrotik but i dont think it will matter much as you arnt running a big enterprise.

pick switch that has features you need.

Does op have 10G wan? Its very rare in most areas and have there is no point of having 10g going to the router if your working with less than a 1G wan link.

Why not get a switch with 10G built in? Why use modules? Most newer switches don't have modules.

For a home use like OP has, there is no point for having all the advanced features, a basic switch will be fine here, and there is no reason to deal with the noise and cli and other things in higherend switches.

i can get 1.5 GBps in my area and most areas are expanding their fiber to home. if he plans to have a large amount of tenants sharing an internet connection he probably wants to ensure 10G uplink.

only he knows what hes doing with the building, he wants 24 ports for a home that in itself seems overkill.

but if hes going to have all these tenants, family etc share the same internet connection future proof as its just matter of time fiber internet comes to his home.

On 8/2/2019 at 3:25 PM, g g d h said:

It is going to be a simple LAN network within one building. Circa 12 wall sockets and 2 or 3 access points / routers (we will see how building structure interfers with wireless signal...). 

I know very little about network configuration and my explanations may sound a bit naive ?

If you have a properly configured network then an un-managed switch should be fine. Now if you are trying to create Vlans and isolate different parts of your network that is a different story. Btw, you can manually reserve IP addresses to a device via your DHCP server and it's MAC address. That means that the IP would follow the device, but even then unless you have a specific need for static IP addresses just letting the DHCP handle all of that is much easier.

Now if for example you are manually setting the IP on a few machines and not setting your DHCP range to exclude the ip's you want to use for them... then yes you can have IP conflicts. Again this comes down to just understanding how a healthy network should look and operate.

18 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

If you have a properly configured network then an un-managed switch should be fine. Now if you are trying to create Vlans and isolate different parts of your network that is a different story. Btw, you can manually reserve IP addresses to a device via your DHCP server and it's MAC address. That means that the IP would follow the device, but even then unless you have a specific need for static IP addresses just letting the DHCP handle all of that is much easier.

Now if for example you are manually setting the IP on a few machines and not setting your DHCP range to exclude the ip's you want to use for them... then yes you can have IP conflicts. Again this comes down to just understanding how a healthy network should look and operate.

yes for example if you rent out a room inside your house you could put the tenant, you could use PVLAN so they wouldnt have access to your nas or your home network just internet. it all depends on what he wants to do.

Let me catch a breath first ?

The house i am about to finish (moving in late Aug / early Sep) is for my family and my family only (us 2 + 2 small kids). We have 13 LAN wall sockets, incl. TV corner / media center + home security system and surveillance. That's 15 ports on a switch that i need straight away.

My local ISP (only one that has fiber grid close to a house - across the street) offers 120Mb/s for 9.5€/month (with 24 months contract) when not bundled with TV box and most likely i will go for it. I don't really see any use for 10Gb/s ports at this moment and near future. I am not an impatient teenager any more who gets angry at 0.5s loading time of youtube website ?

Again many thanks for your replies. Pretty sure i will go with a simple and low-maintenance option -> unmanaged switch.