New Build with Ryzen 3700x in Europe

So! After 7 or so years, it's time for me to upgrade my PC. I play some games, I edit pictures and video, and I work on JS Programming / Excel documents quite often.

My old setup is still very decent, but it's time for it to retire. 

Notice that I wont be buying a new case, since I already have PHANTEKS Eclipse P400S Midi-Towerhttps://www.caseking.de/en/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-midi-tower-tempered-glass-weiss-gedaemmt-geph-059.html )

Check the parts I picked. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheoKondak/saved/#view=xpM6RB

Photographer - Videographer 

Loving behavioral analysis and psychology

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Gigabyte 5700xt OC undervolted

Crusial Ballistix sport @ 3400mhz cl16

Some 15tb of storage

20 minutes ago, TheoKondak said:

So! After 7 or so years, it's time for me to upgrade my PC. I play some games, I edit pictures and video, and I work on JS Programming / Excel documents quite often.

My old setup is still very decent, but it's time for it to retire. 

Notice that I wont be buying a new case, since I already have PHANTEKS Eclipse P400S Midi-Towerhttps://www.caseking.de/en/phanteks-eclipse-p400s-midi-tower-tempered-glass-weiss-gedaemmt-geph-059.html )

Check the parts I picked. https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/TheoKondak/saved/#view=xpM6RB

Budget?

I assume you are in Germany due to the german links?

A few edits:

• The 212 Evo is junk. The stock cooler for the 3700X is actually better. I included an eSports Duo
  • 660p is a great budget NVMe option that's still nice and fast
  • Better PSU for less $$

I'll recommend something like this instead...

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  (€349.00 @ Alternate) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright HR-02 Rev.A(BW) 73.6 CFM CPU Cooler  (€46.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard  (€109.06 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory  (€100.89 @ Alternate) 
Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (€67.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB Video Card  (€416.99 @ Mindfactory) 
Power Supply: Xilence Performance X 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply  (€74.93 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €1165.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-07-31 14:56 CEST+0200

SSD TIER LIST

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X

Mobo - ASRock X470 Taichi

Memory - G.Skill Trident Z RGB (8x2 3200MHz) 

Storage - Sabrent Rocket 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 2TBWD Black 1TB

GPU - MSI GeForce GTX 980Ti LIGHTNING

CaseFractal Design Meshify C

PSUSuper Flower Leadex II Gold 650W

46 minutes ago, Catchears said:

Budget?

I assume you are in Germany due to the german links?

Budget max 1200€. 1150 is kinda stretched already, but it's an investment for me. I live in Belgium, but I find that German prices are always better, and it's just the same for me ordering from Germany or the Netherlands or Belgium (Fuk yeah thanks EU!)

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

45 minutes ago, Catchears said:

Which games?

Well really depends. Nowadays I mostly play CS, but I play Fallouts, Witcher, Ashes of the singularity and stuff like that every now and then.

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

Thanks for your suggestions. Instead of quoting each one of them, I will make some comments/questions about the changes you suggested:

I see that you suggest Tomahawk Mobo. I was considering it myself, but I thought I can afford a slightly better one. Factors are Wifi/Bluetooth, and even though I don't really use WiFi, there have been a couple of times, that I was forced to use Wifi for periods of time due to various reasons. Also, I was thinking of using my Bluetooth headset when I do stuff around the house. These are gimmicks though and I could always buy some external Wifi/Bluetooth modules.

About the cooling solution, I saw that the one I picked is quite a good performer for the price, both tempwise and noisewise. But I will definitely have a look and do some theoretical comparisons amongst them. Do you have any specific reasoning behind your pick? Something possibly I am not aware of?

I see that you all agree with my RAM selection. At this point, I want to stick to performance/price when it comes to RAMs. These two sticks seem to be one of the best options, and later I can update my system with 16extra GB. 

About HDD. I already have 2 256 SSDs. Hopefully, I am going to sell one along with my old PC and thus I want to upgrade to NVME. The choice I made is pretty much the default one, but I see that you suggest the Intel 660, which is something I considered myself. I saw Linus review, and I must say, that I never find myself copying huge files. The worst I can throw at it is some Davinci Resolve video caches, or maybe move some movies or even games from one HDD to another. The later won't be an issue with a 1tb HDD since I will be installing everything on it in the first place.

For the Graphics Card, I see that some of you suggest older models, which are considerably cheaper, but they seem quite compelling, and some you suggest the 5700XT. My thoughts on that are that I want to get an as much as a possible futureproof card. The 5700 series yield quite amazing results when it comes to video rendering. At the same time, their average consumption is lower (right?). That's why I ditched older GPUs in favor of the 5700 series. I watched a lot of video reviews comparing 5700 and 5700XT. I am not sure I can justify the price difference for my needs. Both are excellent choices, so I went with the 5700 to save some bucks. I am about to purchase all the components sometimes in the start of September. I am back from vacations 10th of September, so I want to start receiving stuff from 11nth. I guess at this point other brands will have their improved 5700s so possibly I will be able to purchase some with better clocks and thermal solution.

For the power supply, I went for the 750 one just because as far as I know, the more watts it is, the less power will be lost into the thin air during the conversion. My system will not consume over 350-400W under full load, so I guess even the 650W will do just fine. I just thought it as a long term investment. Xilence is an EU based company, so I believe I can find their PSUs in a better price, that's why I went for them. At the moment I have a Corsair 600 or 650W (can't remember exactly). The SATA supply connectors are terribly constructed. They just break too easily. Thus I don't wanna go for Corsair again. BitFenix Formula Gold 750W 80+ Gold is not modular, and I would like to go for some modularity this time. I found cable management to be a bit tight on my case.

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

7 hours ago, TheoKondak said:

About the cooling solution, I saw that the one I picked is quite a good performer for the price, both tempwise and noisewise. But I will definitely have a look and do some theoretical comparisons amongst them. Do you have any specific reasoning behind your pick? Something possibly I am not aware of?

Very loud. Actually, in the modern market is a BAD solution for the price. The Freezer 34 eSports and others people have chosen in this thread would do a lot better while being less loud.

About HDD. I already have 2 256 SSDs. Hopefully, I am going to sell one along with my old PC and thus I want to upgrade to NVME. The choice I made is pretty much the default one, but I see that you suggest the Intel 660, which is something I considered myself. I saw Linus review, and I must say, that I never find myself copying huge files. The worst I can throw at it is some Davinci Resolve video caches, or maybe move some movies or even games from one HDD to another. The later won't be an issue with a 1tb HDD since I will be installing everything on it in the first place.

NEVER watch a Linus review, they're usually shit...

The 660p or P1 will do; the 970 Evo has ZERO real world benefit.

For the Graphics Card, I see that some of you suggest older models, which are considerably cheaper, but they seem quite compelling, and some you suggest the 5700XT. My thoughts on that are that I want to get an as much as a possible futureproof card. The 5700 series yield quite amazing results when it comes to video rendering. At the same time, their average consumption is lower (right?). That's why I ditched older GPUs in favor of the 5700 series. I watched a lot of video reviews comparing 5700 and 5700XT. I am not sure I can justify the price difference for my needs. Both are excellent choices, so I went with the 5700 to save some bucks. I am about to purchase all the components sometimes in the start of September. I am back from vacations 10th of September, so I want to start receiving stuff from 11nth. I guess at this point other brands will have their improved 5700s so possibly I will be able to purchase some with better clocks and thermal solution.

The Vega 56 has similar performance to RTX 2060, a bit less than 5700. If you are looking to spend less, you can go for that.

Please, I see you've said you will be buying in September, come back and ask then, prices change daily.

For the power supply, I went for the 750 one just because as far as I know, the more watts it is, the less power will be lost into the thin air during the conversion. My system will not consume over 350-400W under full load, so I guess even the 650W will do just fine. I just thought it as a long term investment. Xilence is an EU based company, so I believe I can find their PSUs in a better price, that's why I went for them. At the moment I have a Corsair 600 or 650W (can't remember exactly). The SATA supply connectors are terribly constructed. They just break too easily. Thus I don't wanna go for Corsair again. BitFenix Formula Gold 750W 80+ Gold is not modular, and I would like to go for some modularity this time. I found cable management to be a bit tight on my case.

FALSE. The difference is usually less than 1%... you would likely be better off just getting smaller PSU and using the saved money to cover the cost. 550W and 650W is already overkill.

Corsair does not make any power supplies. They share the same factories with almost everyone else in the industry (SeaSonic (rarely), HEC, CWT, Flextronics), may I know what model you currently have?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

11 hours ago, TheoKondak said:

Watch any review videos for the Hyper 212 Evo. It is literally not worth your money.. watch one where it's pitted against the included Wraith Spire. 

I chose the eSports Duo based on performance reviews. It's a solid dual unit for a really good price. 

11 hours ago, TheoKondak said:

750 is fine if you want it, but if 650 is a savings, dont waste the money. Grab a BitFenix whisper if you want modularity. 

The problem is not all PSUs are high quality. Xilence is not, like across the board. 

MWE Gold, Corsair RMx or TMx, EVGA G1+, BitFenix Whisper are all solid and modular. 

Thank you guys for your insights! And I know Linus reviews are shit. I m just addicted to his voice ?

All things considered, I think that I will go for the Intel 660 NVME, and another PSU, probably around 550W since you say it's not that important for my case. I am even reconsidering the modular style. I see that in EU at least, the prices for modular can be quite premium. For the CPU fan, thanks again. I will go for the Arctic Freezer. I don't really intend on overclocking much anyways, so I might even consider keeping the one included with the CPU for now. For the GPU, I think I will stick with the 5700, performance-wise might  not be that far ahead, but I think it's fair for the price, and as I said, somehow it compares to 2080ti on certain tasks (saw some review of a guy Rendering various formats), which is quite appealing to me. 

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

1 hour ago, TheoKondak said:

I see that in EU at least, the prices for modular can be quite premium.

Really most cases these days have a PSU cage, so the PSU and cables aren't even visible. Non-modular isn't the end of the world (though I prefer modularity obviously.) 

For the CPU fan, thanks again. I will go for the Arctic Freezer. I don't really intend on overclocking much anyways, so I might even consider keeping the one included with the CPU for now

If you don't plan to overclock, the stock cooler is plenty. That's a good piece to save on now, and buy later if it's needed.

4 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Really most cases these days have a PSU cage, so the PSU and cables aren't even visible. Non-modular isn't the end of the world (though I prefer modularity obviously.) 

If you don't plan to overclock, the stock cooler is plenty. That's a good piece to save on now, and buy later if it's needed.

My case has such capabilities so if I am about to save 20€ for something that will not bother me that often, I guess I will just skip it and go for a good non-modular one, and I guess I will do the same for CPU fan for now. That's 50€ savings just from these two parts :) Maybe if I can save some more, I can push my budget to get the 3900x!

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

5 hours ago, TheoKondak said:

My case has such capabilities so if I am about to save 20€ for something that will not bother me that often, I guess I will just skip it and go for a good non-modular one, and I guess I will do the same for CPU fan for now. That's 50€ savings just from these two parts :) Maybe if I can save some more, I can push my budget to get the 3900x!

That could certainly bump your workload performance a solid amount! In gaming, the results won't change a whole lot.

If you do so, I would go with a decent X570 series board instead of the B450. Like this AORUS model:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/nHxbt6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite

Also note that in either situation, your CPU is going to want faster RAM than that 3200mhz. If you get into loads that you need to improve, I would do a little research in RAM overclocking. See if you can get it up closer to 3600mhz.

6 hours ago, trevb0t said:

That could certainly bump your workload performance a solid amount! In gaming, the results won't change a whole lot.

If you do so, I would go with a decent X570 series board instead of the B450. Like this AORUS model:

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/nHxbt6/gigabyte-x570-aorus-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite

Also note that in either situation, your CPU is going to want faster RAM than that 3200mhz. If you get into loads that you need to improve, I would do a little research in RAM overclocking. See if you can get it up closer to 3600mhz.

You are right again. The video reviews I saw clarify, that the insane results when it comes to rendering are due to PCIE 4 bandwidth, so if I wanna see such numbers, I will probably have to have a x570 mobo and not a B450. About the RAMs I watched some videos and all of them state that there are some certain benefits when you use 3600mhz but the sweet spot between price/performance is still around 3200. Anyways I can't afford 3600 rams at this moment :P I intend to get a new job sometime later this year, if I manage to do so, I swear I will get the best stuff available out there! Since then I will have to compromise compromise compromise.

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage

3 hours ago, TheoKondak said:

You are right again. The video reviews I saw clarify, that the insane results when it comes to rendering are due to PCIE 4 bandwidth, so if I wanna see such numbers, I will probably have to have a x570 mobo and not a B450. About the RAMs I watched some videos and all of them state that there are some certain benefits when you use 3600mhz but the sweet spot between price/performance is still around 3200. Anyways I can't afford 3600 rams at this moment :P I intend to get a new job sometime later this year, if I manage to do so, I swear I will get the best stuff available out there! Since then I will have to compromise compromise compromise.

Frankly unless you're rendering massive scenes or somesuch, the 3700X is hardly a compromise. It's a great piece. It rivals and in many cases beats out the 9900K in production at 60% of the price, and it games really well. I'd just grab one and be happy with that purchase. Until great sales hit, the 3900X is just too damn pricey.

Comparing what Linus was finding with 3600 vs what Steve Burke found with 3200 (obvious 2 different environments, but pretty applicable) there is a distinct difference in performance there. But again, RAM can always overclock.

Thank you very much for your insights guys! I am making my mind according to your suggestions, and I think I m going to save more than 100€ for more or less the same performance!

----

Asus x570 Tuf Wifi

3700x @ 4175mhz 1.2435v

Some 15tb of storage