pcie oscilloscope?

Ae86
Go to solution Solved by Ae86,

just got a scope, managed to find an identical one to what i had, a telequipment d61a. it was free and works like a charm.

i saw the "ridiculous pci/pcie things" video and since my oscilloscope recently died im looking for a replacement and thought it woud be neat to integrate it into my pc (plus less stuff on my desk)

so does a pcie version of that exist?

judging from how big these things are on a desk, I don't think so.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

judging from how big these things are on a desk, I don't think so.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=oscilloscope+pci&ul_noapp=true&ef_id=CjwKCAjw1f_pBRAEEiwApp0JKBTR7WOTK17AVrbEQ3bX-AmjyhP7D6QD6JKcZr_JtgwOQoUM1fkjohoCA3AQAvD_BwE:G:s

they exist for regular old pci but idk how good they work. if i cant find one id go for a pocket scope of some kind.

Have a look at what software is available to you and see if you like any of it / will it work with your computer / will it work with the scope you want / can you get the software for free without a manufacturer credential. 

These kinds of industrial devices are not always consumer friendly. Getting a self-contained scope with the buttons and dials will comparatively 'just work'. 

Intel 11700K - Gigabyte 3080 Ti- Gigabyte Z590 Aorus Pro - Sabrent Rocket NVME - Corsair 16GB DDR4

Just now, jake9000 said:

Have a look at what software is available to you and see if you like any of it / will it work with your computer / will it work with the scope you want / can you get the software for free without a manufacturer credential. 

These kinds of industrial devices are not always consumer friendly. Getting a self-contained scope with the buttons and dials will comparatively 'just work'. 

meh. ill just get a regular old scope of some kind then. any old 20mhz thing will work perfectly.

9 hours ago, James Evens said:

Not USB scopes have limitations

of course.

Just used this cheap version as an example as the OP wasn't looking for something fancy.

11 minutes ago, James Evens said:

In this case just don't spend anything. In the sub $100 you can't not even get a decent used digital oscilloscope. 

I don't know for what they are made:

horrible noise

5v limitation

low sample rate

and the cheap versions aren't isolated

Do you know a use case where this would work?

chill out dude.

Just seen a video on a USB oscilloscope that could be used with a computer like the OP was saying. Of course it isn't a professional tool, I just mentioned that indeed the thing exists.

Anyone could simply get a usb controller that runs pci-e x1 and combine it with the usb scope part on a single circuit board with a pci-e connector.

It's unlikely you'll see that because it makes little sense.

External usb scopes are useful because they're portable and can work with a laptop or any computer. 

they can in theory also be powered by an isolated power supply (phone charger, whatever) while the data lines can be isolated with various ICs ... so your scope is floating in reference to pc and the equipment tested with the probes.

Or simply by the nature of being powered by a laptop which runs on batteries, they are floating... completely disconnected from mains power, power grids etc etc... you can get relatively clean usb power.

If plugged into a pci-e slot, your scope by default will not be isolated from the pc, so try measuring a bridge rectifier with the scope and see how fast you blow the scope (because the negative is connected to earth wire in computer power supplies)

Also, an internal card is subjected to interference, noise, etc ... you'd have to shield it with a metal case.

It's much easier to just have a metal case for an external oscilloscope, just get an extruded aluminum case and you're done.

The pci-e power can also be noisier ... and you get 3.3v or 12v , so you also have to add a 12v to 5v dc-dc converter to the bill of materials, complicating your design.

There's also pci to pci-e bridge chips, so if there's already pci scopes, one could easily add a pci <-> pci-e bridge chip and have the design working... but again.. see reasons why it makes little sense to have internal scopes.

The ideal portable scope should have just an ethernet port as that is by default fully isolated and an internal battery.

Or, have a usb isolator inside, but these cost money... a usb 2.0 capable (480 mbps) chip for isolation can cost more than 10$.

just got a scope, managed to find an identical one to what i had, a telequipment d61a. it was free and works like a charm.

4 hours ago, Ae86 said:

it was free

whaaat!? How do you get a free scope??

1 hour ago, IgorM said:

whaaat!? How do you get a free scope??

i found it in a facebook marketplace group so luck i guess?