How is this ryzen 5 3600 working on a320m!!?? (Fake??)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=wF8EuEfwF8EuEfKH3Q

In the video of which the above link is seems kinda fishy ? 

THIS GUY GOT A RYZEN 5 3600 WORKING ON A320 AND WITH OVERCLOKING 

Plus 

He also got a bios update for this Mobo to support 3rd gen which is kinda crazy??

SoOoOoOo.....

1. Is this a fake video qnd this guy is lying??
  2. If not, is this a good idea??? cause I'm using a320 with 2600 and wanna upgrade to 3600

1. No

2. Not a great idea, but it is possible, if your mb-vendor has a ryzen 3000 bios for your board.

Intel i9-7960X || ASUS WS X299 PRO || INNO3D RTX 2080 TI || 4x16 GB Samsung DDR4 || MasterCase SL600M

about overclocking not sure, with a custom bios perhaps

about ryzen 3000 support, gigabyte released support for that line of cpus, so it is not impossible, i saw a video of a a320 abd the r9 3900 working, the vrms get hot, but it works

what a320 do you have?

6 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:
  • Is this a fake video qnd this guy is lying??
  • If not, is this a good idea??? cause I'm using a320 with 2600 and wanna upgrade to 3600

No.

No.

A couple of A320 did get their BIOS updated to support Zen 2, but they still suck and limit the CPU performance while putting it in greater risk, these A320 are at best for office computers running 2200G ~ 2400G tops.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Some motherboard maker updated its A320 line with 3rd gen support, so its not impossible.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The A320 boards still have a four phase VRM but with shitty mosfets, which means they overheat if the cpu draws a lot of power.

As the majority of A320 boards don't have heatsinks on the VRM it's possible to have the VRM overheat if you're using 8 core or higher CPUs.

Still the 3600 is just a six core CPU, with a TDP of 65w, just like 2600 or 1600, so there's no reason why it shouldn't work.

The board would probably die if you install a 12core or 16 core on it, or at the very least the cpu frequencies will be throttled constantly due to VRM overheating.

As for overclocking... I can't check the video now as I'm in a public place but if it's the tech yes city video, then I think he didn't overclock the cpu but was able to set the memory at 3600 Mhz which in theory the a320 boards aren't really supposed to be built that good.

I wouldn't even use an A320 for a 2600, much less a 3600. Tech Yes City from what I've seen, is very biased towards lower end hardware. The channel is focused on flipping computers for money, and using as cheap as possible hardware. Sometimes I even think the channel is a shill, manufacturers paying him to make their garbage products seem better. Cause in my mind there are 2 types of people who do this. They are either uninformed, or they have some type of preconceived bias.

Join HWBot or OCN

#1 3DM Fire Strike Ultra score in the world.

#2 3DM Time Spy Extreme score in the world.

#3 3DM Fire Strike Extreme score in the world.

#7 3DM Sky Diver score in the world.

#8 3DM Fire Strike score in the world.

#12 3DM Time Spy score in the world.

All scores obtained with 8600K + 1x 1070Ti. Links in bio

Science Studio put a 3900x on one. The title for the video is acutally " It works, but don't try it".

I am sure if a motherboard company releases a bios that supports it it will boot up and work. Not sure its the greatest idea in the world though.

I highly doubt it is fake. I looked at the link you posted, I had actually already seen the video before. I trust this guy and science studio both to put out decent content. I don't believe they any reason to make up content or lie about anything. None of the other vidoes I have watched from show any indication they would do this. They seem to have pretty good reputations. And Science Studio is actually in the middle of a stupid lawsuit right now so I am really sure he wouldn't be putting out fictitious content.

8 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

I wouldn't even use an A320 for a 2600, much less a 3600. Tech Yes City from what I've seen, is very biased towards lower end hardware. The channel is focused on flipping computers for money, and using as cheap as possible hardware. Sometimes I even think the channel is a shill, manufacturers paying him to make their garbage products seem better. Cause in my mind there are 2 types of people who do this. They are either uninformed, or they have some type of preconceived bias.

low end hardware is there for people to use it, if you cant afford 700 dollars for a high end morherbpard or a 100 dollars motherboard, you buy the 50 dollar one and you accept the limitations it has but in the end enjoy a new pc

you say all that like flip pcs or use cheap parts is a sin, your opinion is, that, just your opinon fortunately

9 minutes ago, goto10 said:

low end hardware is there for people to use it, if you cant afford 700 dollars for a high end morherbpard or a 100 dollars motherboard, you buy the 50 dollar one and you accept the limitations it has but in the end enjoy a new pc

you say all that like flip pcs or use cheap parts is a sin, your opinion is, that, just your opinon fortunately

Never said selling computers or building budget computers is a sin. Want to know what I do think is a sin though? Telling people to use an A320 with a 3600, and then saying overclocking on it is fine. 

If you didn't notice in the video, that video did not include any VRM temperatures. Cheap boards like the A320 have no VRM over temp protection, no VRM temp monitoring. (very few features in general) Meaning that the board will happily sit at 120c without complaining at all. Which is probably why that guy in the video came to the conclusion that overclocking on the board is perfectly fine.

Join HWBot or OCN

Just now, Fakmykak said:

Never said selling computers or building budget computers is a sin. Want to know what I do think is a sin though? Telling people to use an A320 with a 3600, and then saying overclocking on it is fine. 

If you didn't notice in the video, that video did not include any VRM temperatures. Cheap boards like the A320 have no VRM over temp protection, no VRM temp monitoring. (very few features in general) Meaning that the board will happily sit at 120c without complaining at all. Which is probably why that guy in the video came to the conclusion that overclocking on the board is perfectly fine.

a r5 3600 is a normal 65 watts cpu, not the freaking 28 cores intel beast that needs the chiller

if i could run for 2 years a overclocked 95 watt cpu on a motherboard with only 3 vrms with no heatsink or a fan blowing air over the vrms and nor the motherboard or the cpu died you can run that one perfectly fine

try to use common sense and avoid any level of panic, dont spread panic

the cpus that are not recomended for those motherboards are the 8, 12 and 16 core ones, but they will work, they will heat up the vrms and the cpu will throtle down reducing speed on all cores to remain functional, not the best pair, but it will work

if you improve airflow over those vrms they might even go at stock speeds and avoid the thermal throtle

some companies like msi seems that will not release the same bios update asus and gigabyte released, and that does put in perspective the manufacturer, if the others did it the they know their ultra low budget design will not catch fire

other manufacturers cheapes on bios size, vrm design, heatsinks, capacitors, mosfets, even chokes, they might not release any bios update

not much people will buy a 8or 12 cores and put it on a320, but a 6 cores with such low power consumption on a 4 phases vrm, is perfectly doable

something tells me that a520 will come with  better vrms and heatsinks, to cover 3000 and 4000 series cpus

system integrators will use those motherboards for the cheap 6 abd 8 cores cpus that will be sold for some time and will be done the same way in the future, is not perfect, but it works

40 minutes ago, goto10 said:

a r5 3600 is a normal 65 watts cpu, not the freaking 28 cores intel beast that needs the chiller

if i could run for 2 years a overclocked 95 watt cpu on a motherboard with only 3 vrms with no heatsink or a fan blowing air over the vrms and nor the motherboard or the cpu died you can run that one perfectly fine

try to use common sense and avoid any level of panic, dont spread panic

the cpus that are not recomended for those motherboards are the 8, 12 and 16 core ones, but they will work, they will heat up the vrms and the cpu will throtle down reducing speed on all cores to remain functional, not the best pair, but it will work

if you improve airflow over those vrms they might even go at stock speeds and avoid the thermal throtle

some companies like msi seems that will not release the same bios update asus and gigabyte released, and that does put in perspective the manufacturer, if the others did it the they know their ultra low budget design will not catch fire

other manufacturers cheapes on bios size, vrm design, heatsinks, capacitors, mosfets, even chokes, they might not release any bios update

not much people will buy a 8or 12 cores and put it on a320, but a 6 cores with such low power consumption on a 4 phases vrm, is perfectly doable

something tells me that a520 will come with  better vrms and heatsinks, to cover 3000 and 4000 series cpus

system integrators will use those motherboards for the cheap 6 abd 8 cores cpus that will be sold for some time and will be done the same way in the future, is not perfect, but it works

So your whole argument is "it will still work". That's got to be the weakest argument I've ever seen.

Even you said that the CPU will throttle. Is that not enough the prove that the motherboard is not good enough for the processor? Or is thermal throttling your version of optimal performance. 

Join HWBot or OCN

Dude, the 3600 is a 65w TDP processor. Pretty much all A320 boards are designed to work with up to 95w TDP processors.

The difference between A320 boards and the boards with other chipsets is that the other boards have higher quality mosfets that are more efficient, so there's less heat produced, and that you often have a heatsink which helps even further.

This means there's higher potential for overclocking on the non A320 motherboards and the voltage produced by the VRM of those boards is better, which can often make a difference in the CPU being able to boost 50-100  Mhz higher when there's reserves.

With a cpu like 3600 at default frequencies, the mosfets of that A320 board will probably run at 80-90 degrees Celsius ... which is quite high but still fine... the chips are rated for 125 degrees Celsius and the motherboard has a thermal sensor which will throttle the CPU (to reduce the power demands) if the VRM goes over around 100-110 degrees.

The sustained heat can however be a problem for the components around these mosfets .. the polymer capacitors, the inductors, the ceramic capacitors, the circuit board.

In comparison, a B350 or B450 board with better quality mosfets and a heatsink on the mosfets will most likely hover around 60 degrees Celsius

Basically, it's an issue of long term reliability ... if ran constantly at 80-90 degrees, the motherboard may start to manifest issues after 2-5 years of use.... while the higher end boards will go over 5-10 years without any issues.

Keep in mind that NOTHING stops you from actually getting a heatsink made of copper or aluminum and thermal pads and attach this over the mosfets... you'll easily improve the thermal dissipation by a few degrees.

4 minutes ago, Fakmykak said:

So your whole argument is "it will still work". That's got to be the weakest argument I've ever seen.

Even you said that the CPU will throttle. Is that not enough the prove that the motherboard is not good enough for the processor? Or is thermal throttling your version of optimal performance. 

if the motheboard manufacturer releases the said bios, and cpu works but throtles, it is not a failure, is a limitation on the hardware that was calculated and has been done in the past many times

it didnt had to be pretty, all it had to do is work, and it will

if you dont like that it works, even under limited conditions doesnt mean that everybody shares your opinion

not everybody will buy a r5 3600 and push all 6 cores to 100% and enter in panic when some or all cores trothle down to 3.4 or 3.2ghz, few people will notice it

we have been living under such limitations since the first laptop came to the market saying it could do 2 ghz! but for some seconds, the rest of the time goes at 800mhz or slower

your point is that the idea is stupid, you hate cheap hardware and everybody has to agree with you

well, no, not everybody agreess, the world is not perfect and never forget the phrase whatever floats your goat

limitations specs and needs confront constantly on every market and every price point, you win some and you loose others, but most often you settle and accept what you can get and what you can pay

in general, stop entering in panic if someone cant pay 150 dollars for 8+ vrms woth heatsinks and the most expensive chipset, you dont understand how much you can do with low specs hardware and limited budget these days, and that is your problem, lack of experience and lack of interest on learning what a part really can do, not just read and enter in panic when someone discovers how much 50 dollars can give you these days

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Dude, the 3600 is a 65w TDP processor. Pretty much all A320 boards are designed to work with up to 95w TDP processors.

The difference between A320 boards and the boards with other chipsets is that the other boards have higher quality mosfets that are more efficient, so there's less heat produced, and that you often have a heatsink which helps even further.

This means there's higher potential for overclocking on the non A320 motherboards and the voltage produced by the VRM of those boards is better, which can often make a difference in the CPU being able to boost 50-100  Mhz higher when there's reserves.

With a cpu like 3600 at default frequencies, the mosfets of that A320 board will probably run at 80-90 degrees Celsius ... which is quite high but still fine... the chips are rated for 125 degrees Celsius and the motherboard has a thermal sensor which will throttle the CPU (to reduce the power demands) if the VRM goes over around 100-110 degrees.

The sustained heat can however be a problem for the components around these mosfets .. the polymer capacitors, the inductors, the ceramic capacitors, the circuit board.

In comparison, a B350 or B450 board with better quality mosfets and a heatsink on the mosfets will most likely hover around 60 degrees Celsius

Basically, it's an issue of long term reliability ... if ran constantly at 80-90 degrees, the motherboard may start to manifest issues after 2-5 years of use.... while the higher end boards will go over 5-10 years without any issues.

Keep in mind that NOTHING stops you from actually getting a heatsink made of copper or aluminum and thermal pads and attach this over the mosfets... you'll easily improve the thermal dissipation by a few degrees.

i wanted to do that, put heatsinks on the mosfets, but i couldnt find ones small enough, and the glue used is permanent, but there have been cases where the glue doesnt work and the copper heatsink falls and enters in contact with other things like gpu and short circuits them

when i did that hard overclock the vrms, 3 only, never got really hot, perhaps 45 or 50°c.

a vrm has problems after 90°c. so definitively doable, if 3 cheap vrms could give me 500mhz on 4 cores on a 95watt cpu, 4 vrms can do 3.6 ghz easily and barely get hot, even might to some overclocking the cpu itself with the bios allowing to do the turbo boost thanks to temperatures being under control

You can buy bigger heatsinks and cut them to size  (basically get a saw and cut a strip out of the big heatsink)

for example here's three 70mm x 70mm heatsinks with just the height of the fins different

25mm fins : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-H1-136-C2-R0/ATS36326-ND/4624431

20mm fins : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-H1-134-C2-R0/ATS36324-ND/4624429

15 mm fins : https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/advanced-thermal-solutions-inc/ATS-H1-135-C2-R0/ATS36325-ND/4624430

image.png.713b2832c5d291f635a6874ba8c980b5.png

other heatsink examples

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/wakefield-vette/609-50ABS3/345-1058-ND/340351

image.png.7e9cdef1ac96a17357767d87f5e3dfe5.png

Like above, take a saw and cut strips from the middle part

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cts-thermal-management-products/APF40-40-13CB-A01/294-1162-ND/1278288

Same deal... cut as wide as you need.

There's also smaller square-ish heatsinks .. you could simply cut the screw 'ears' and use thermal tape to attach them to mosfets.

Example : https://www.digikey.com/short/pb9vvh

image.png.5d3e6c88d41a2f7d7308eca25e3b6f0e.png

You can also easily get double sided adhesive thermal tape ... here's a starting point: https://www.digikey.com/short/pb91qz

I've also left in the list the "tacky" ones.. those aren't adhesive, the heatsinks would fall off... but listed them just  in case