Creating my own server + some questions.

Hi there, this is my first ever post on this forum, so if I did anything wrong, that's probably why!

I recently gained an interest in how LTT manages and operates their servers, and wanted to create one of my own. I have attempted to read the large post on how to create a NAS and whatnot and was able to learn about a few things, but as a beginner, all of that information was just a lot to take in. So, as a secondary source of information I have decided to create a forum post and directly ask for help. More specifically, what type of hardware I should use for an entry level NAS/Server, what software there is / what to use, and lastly how to use the server.

Also, I really want to know what kind of server LTT uses for their needs.

I am very sorry if this sounds like a lot of questions, but google has not been very resourceful for me today

Thanks in advance,
Rentiger

P.S: Responses are appreciated, as I am willing to take any help that I can get.

I like to play around with tech.

21 minutes ago, Rentiger said:

Hi there, this is my first ever post on this forum, so if I did anything wrong, that's probably why!

I recently gained an interest in how LTT manages and operates their servers, and wanted to create one of my own. I have attempted to read the large post on how to create a NAS and whatnot and was able to learn about a few things, but as a beginner, all of that information was just a lot to take in. So, as a secondary source of information I have decided to create a forum post and directly ask for help. More specifically, what type of hardware I should use for an entry level NAS/Server, what software there is / what to use, and lastly how to use the server.

I am very sorry if this sounds like a lot of questions, but google has not been very resourceful for me today

Thanks in advance,
Rentiger

P.S: Responses are appreciated, as I am willing to take any help that I can get.

If your interested in using it as just a NAS any old PC with gigabit networking and a bunch of SATA ports will work for that, You can buy older rack servers REALLY cheap if you wanted to make a game server/NAS in one box, look for dual socket Xeon X5650 Servers, you can some on eBay for <$150 including shipping (in the US at least)

why no dark mode?
Current:

Watercooled Eluktronics THICC-17 (Clevo X170SM-G):
CPU: i9-10900k @ 4.9GHz all core
GPU: RTX 2080 Super (Max P 200W)
RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) @ 3200MTs

Storage: 512GB HP EX NVMe SSD, 2TB Silicon Power NVMe SSD
Displays: Asus ROG XG-17 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), IPS 1080p@240Hz (G-Sync), Gigabyte M32U 4k@144Hz (G-Sync), External Laptop panel (LTN173HT02) 1080p@120Hz

Asus ROG Flow Z13 (GZ301ZE) W/ Increased Power Limit:
CPU: i9-12900H @ Up to 5.0GHz all core
- dGPU: RTX 3050 Ti 4GB

- eGPU: RTX 3080 (mobile) XGm 16GB
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 5200MTs

Storage: 1TB NVMe SSD, 1TB MicroSD
Display: 1200p@120Hz

Asus Zenbook Duo (UX481FLY):

CPU: i7-10510U @ Up to 4.3 GHz all core
- GPU: MX 250
RAM: 16GB (8x2GB) @ 2133MTs

Storage: 128GB SATA M.2 (NVMe no worky)
Display: Main 1080p@60Hz + Screnpad Plus 1920x515@60Hz

Custom Game Server:

CPUs: Ryzen 7 7700X @ 5.1GHz all core

RAM: 128GB (4x32GB) DDR5 @ whatever it'll boot at xD (I think it's 3600MTs)

Storage: 2x 1TB WD Blue NVMe SSD in RAID 1, 4x 10TB HGST Enterprise HDD in RAID Z1

You can run a perfectly functional NAS with nothing more than a Raspberry Pi 4, a USB 3 HDD and 16GB SD Card.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Does gigabit networking mean my wifi has speeds of 1gb/s, or is it something else entirely? Also, I am having trouble finding listings for said rack server that are not above $200, which is a little over my budget as I just want a entry level NAS.

Edited by Rentiger
grammar and clarification

1 hour ago, Rentiger said:

Does gigabit networking mean my wifi has speeds of 1gb/s, or is it something else entirely?

Not your wifi; but your wired connection speed. Try searching on models "Dell poweredge R710" or "Hp Proliant DL360 G7"

Thank you all so much!

I've been using an old HP Proliant ML110 off of ebay for the last 3 years and it has been serving me well. My workload grew so I'm looking at replacing it, but for someone learning and it's a great box and you don't have to spend much either. For a time I would have told you to use Linux, but these days if you want to get serious about stability, a consistent OS, and easy management I highly recommend getting your feet wet with FreeBSD or get started with FreeNAS (which is FreeBSD but with a pretty web interface). I think if you want to learn a real Unix-like OS do a BSD or give Devuan Linux a try. You'll want to have your server connected to a switch, not going over wifi.

For my server, I spent $120 on the box got a couple NAS hard drives (don't get consumer stuff like WD Blues/blacks or Seagate Barracuda)...I also recommend taking advantage of ZFS for your filesystem for your disks and look at ZFS mirroring.

If you want a simple "dump file here" setup, look at SAMBA. Or do something fun like Nextcloud. Or both! I use Nextcloud for most of my files but use SAMBA for a couple things still

Is it possible to use an old laptop as a temporary NAS as I get set up? The laptop has 8gb of ram and is running an i5 that is clocked at 1.7ghz base.

Thanks,

Rentiger

Edited by Rentiger
clarification

14 hours ago, Rentiger said:

Is it possible to use an old laptop as a temporary NAS as I get set up? The laptop has 8gb of ram and is running an i5 that is clocked at 1.7ghz base.

Thanks,

Rentiger

Yes that can be done just add an external hdd

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410

1 hour ago, mrbilky said:

Yes that can be done just add an external hdd

I have heard that if I use an external HDD, that certain software such as FreeNAS does not work well with it. Can you please elaborate? Also, I need help deciding software as I have read everywhere that FreeNAS does not like laptops. Is it possible that I can use Windows Server in a VM instead? That would be much better for my uses.

Thanks,

Rentiger

Depending on what your use case is: if its just a data storage which does nothing more than a bit of nfs and networking (especially now video encoding for streaming) you can just buy a cheap Pentium g4560 (or something newer), a small m-atx mainboard, a used LSI raid controller (like the lsi9261-8i, available for 30-40$ on ebay) and some  4 x 3.5" HDD enclosures (u will need 3 5.25" slots for the enclosurer) with SAS backplane and SFF-8087 connector.

If you need 12 or more drives you can decide if you buy a Controller with  4 internal SAS connectors, or to add a SAS Expander like the Intel RES2SV240

I'm currently runnng this setup with 3 SAS HDD enclousres for 12  x 8TB drives and a configured RAID 50.

The operating system (debian) runs on a small m2 sata ssd.

Just now, dieserkai said:

Depending on what your use case is: if its just a data storage which does nothing more than a bit of nfs and networking (especially now video encoding for streaming) you can just buy a cheap Pentium g4560 (or something newer), a small m-atx mainboard, a used LSI raid controller (like the lsi9261-8i, available for 30-40$ on ebay) and some  4 x 3.5" HDD enclosures (u will need 3 5.25" slots for the enclosurer) with SAS backplane and SFF-8087 connector.

If you need 12 or more drives you can decide if you buy a Controller with  4 internal SAS connectors, or to add a SAS Expander like the Intel RES2SV240

I'm currently runnng this setup with 3 SAS HDD enclousres for 12  x 8TB drives and a configured RAID 50.

The operating system (debian) runs on a small m2 sata ssd.

Is it possible for me to use a VM on my laptop as a nas? Also, are usb storage devices an option for a NAS?

In terms of buying used machines, I am very inexperienced as I am very bad at navigating Ebay and finding good deals, so I would prefer if I could use my laptop.

Thanks,

Rentiger

1 minute ago, Rentiger said:

Is it possible for me to use a VM on my laptop as a nas? Also, are usb storage devices an option for a NAS?

In terms of buying used machines, I am very inexperienced as I am very bad at navigating Ebay and finding good deals, so I would prefer if I could use my laptop.

Thanks,

Rentiger

why in hell should some run a vm on a laptop as a nas? You would be very limited regarding storage space. A typicall laptop comes with one, maybe two 2.5" or m2 slots. so you could only add more drives by adding usb discs. The most usb drives are slow. So you will pass through some usb drives to a vm on a laptop to make the storage available via wlan or regular ethernet. Your data access would be slow. i would never recommend that.

from how many device do you want to access your nas? what capacity do you need? What redundancy do you need?

the fact that you consider using a vm on a laptop as a nas let me suggest that you could go with any consumer "nas" drive like the WD my cloud drives. 

I am just trying to make a NAS as an experiment to see how it works and how to set one up. There will be no important data stored on this NAS. I have forgotten to make that clear earlier.

Thanks,

Rentiger

On 7/27/2019 at 5:23 AM, Rentiger said:

Their servers are predominantely custom builds with Dual Xeon Supermicro boards. Those servers are not really entry level, they will typically cost a few thousand dollars

what type of hardware I should use for an entry level NAS/Server, what software there is / what to use, and lastly how to use the server.

It really depends on how much you want to spend, how much performance you're after, or how much flexibility you want. 

An entry level NAS could be as simple as an old Optiplex or something off eBay with a couple of disks attached and using Storage Spaces in Windows. 

You could step up to something like a basic i3/Ryzen 2200G system with a few disks running a NAS OS like UnRAID, Rockstor or OpenMediaVault

For high performance but the least flexibility you can go for something like FreeNAS with ZFS

On 7/27/2019 at 10:25 AM, Rentiger said:

Thanks,

Rentiger

Technically you can, but its not recommended or reliable since you'd have to be doing USB attached. A lot of software wont support USB attached storage for RAID either so you may be quite restricted in how you setup your storage.

12 hours ago, Rentiger said:

I am just trying to make a NAS as an experiment to see how it works and how to set one up. There will be no important data stored on this NAS. I have forgotten to make that clear earlier.

Thanks,

Rentiger

If you just want to "test", then perhaps just make a VM on your main PC with a few 2GB virtual disks. That will allow you test out the configuration. That way you spend no $$$ learning, and you can invest it in proper hardware to make a real NAS

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

*duplicate post*

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO | 12 x 8TB HGST Ultrastar He10 (WD Whitelabel) | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

14 hours ago, Rentiger said:

Thanks,

Rentiger

Older hardware that can support Ubunut server or OMV. Have fun. I'm sure you have an old laptop laying around. Off to learning you go!

11 hours ago, Jarsky said:

Their servers are predominantely custom builds with Dual Xeon Supermicro boards. Those servers are not really entry level, they will typically cost a few thousand dollars

It really depends on how much you want to spend, how much performance you're after, or how much flexibility you want. 

An entry level NAS could be as simple as an old Optiplex or something off eBay with a couple of disks attached and using Storage Spaces in Windows. 

You could step up to something like a basic i3/Ryzen 2200G system with a few disks running a NAS OS like UnRAID, Rockstor or OpenMediaVault

For high performance but the least flexibility you can go for something like FreeNAS with ZFS

Technically you can, but its not recommended or reliable since you'd have to be doing USB attached. A lot of software wont support USB attached storage for RAID either so you may be quite restricted in how you setup your storage.

If you just want to "test", then perhaps just make a VM on your main PC with a few 2GB virtual disks. That will allow you test out the configuration. That way you spend no $$$ learning, and you can invest it in proper hardware to make a real NAS

Thank you so much! You have no idea how much you have helped me. Again, THANK YOU!

With much thanks,

Rentiger

12 hours ago, Jarsky said:

What OS would be good to set up a VM with? I have seen so many, and am not really user which ones are supported.

Thanks for all your help,

Rentiger

On 7/26/2019 at 12:52 PM, Master Disaster said:

You can run a perfectly functional NAS with nothing more than a Raspberry Pi 4, a USB 3 HDD and 16GB SD Card.

I can second this. If you are wanting to run an entry level or beginner nas this is the best approach. It is also pretty cheap. Now I generally prefer to buy actual desktop internal drives and toss them in an enclosure then connect that to the PI/router/etc. That being said you can run a decent amount of drives off of one PI.