T-Mobile Passing on Selling Galaxy Fold Refresh

HarryNyquist

Source: https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/07/25/galaxy-fold-t-mobile-re-launch/

T-Mobile PR issued a statement to The Verge containing a pretty dubious explanation as to why you won't be able to pick up a Galaxy Fold in any of its stores:

"T-Mobile will not carry the Galaxy Fold because we already offer customers a wide range of the latest smartphones. Please reach out to Samsung for any further inquiries."

Already selling "a wide range of the latest smartphones" is a nonsensical reason not to offer a buzzy new product from one of the biggest players in the industry; it seems more likely T-Mobile doesn't want to deal with the potential headaches that a recall might cause.

There's no indication that T-Mobile won't support it, only that they won't sell it. $2000 for a phone is quite a bit, and I wonder if the potential returns fiasco would hit their bottom line too hard if it fails again.

I also have to wonder if any other carriers will refuse the option to sell the Fold at launch for the same reason. All speculation, of course; considering most carriers don't give a second thought to carrying yet another phone, T-Mobile's response is quite... well, weird.

Sounds like a fair plan to avoid having to deal with the no doubt high return rate or numerous customers who will come in just to see it. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

Probably guessing T-Mobile doesn't want to carry it for other reasons.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Because T-Mobile would be dealing with the damage through Assurant and with it's failure rate, I'm sure they don't want people only $20(?)/month in insurance to cost them hundreds.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

excuse me well I fail to be surprised. but it helped to learn this^

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

Fair enough, it's a lot of risk for a low-volume product with an already- damaged reputation. One downside would be that the people willing to pay this much for a phone would likely also be willing to change to another provider to get it. Still a small loss though 

That's an F in the profile pic