Switch hacking group Switchroot will be releasing Android for the Switch in the next 5 days

Master Disaster

Switch hacking has gone from strength to strength, most recently we've had full blown Ubuntu, we've got retroarch, lakka and a list of homebrew so big I couldn't list it all even if I wanted to but the holy grail for lots of people is Android.

As the Nintendo Switch homebrew scene continues to develop at a rapid pace, one of the biggest feats has been the possibility of running Android OS on your Nintendo Switch console. Since the system runs on the Tegra X1 chipset, which coincidentally also powers the Nvidia Shield tablet, scene developers have decided to invest their time into getting a form of Android working on the Nintendo Switch. Back in June, we got our first major tease as to just what that would mean for the community, with amazing possibilities such as watching media apps not normally available on the Switch's OS, using it as a comic reader, playing mobile games and apps, getting solid performance in emulators like DraStic, or playing games through remote play

Hacking group Switchroot to the rescue, announced on Twitter the group hope to have Android out on switch within the next few days, albeit in beta form.

According to the team behind the project, they're looking at hopefully releasing their first public beta within the next five days. So, as excitement and anticipation builds, make sure to go grab an extra micro SD card, as the installation will require you to dedicate the entire contents of the micro SD to the installation. You can be certain that the moment the release drops, an informative news post here will quickly follow. For now, let us know what feature you're most excited to test out by using Android on your Switch!

Source - https://gbatemp.net/threads/switchroot-plans-to-release-android-on-the-nintendo-switch-within-the-next-five-days.544283/

*Insert It's Happening meme here*

I personally can't wait to try this out, the Switch is a good console but it's an amazing homebrew device and having access to a full suite of Android apps? Count me in.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

it would be funny if someone makes a switch emulator and it runs on android on a switch

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

42 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

it would be funny if someone makes a switch emulator and it runs on android on a switch

I mean, you can run Android on Linux on Android, so it's possible lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Switch hacking has gone from strength to strength, most recently we've had full blown Ubuntu, we've got retroarch, lakka and a list of homebrew so big I couldn't list it all even if I wanted to but the holy grail for lots of people is Android.

Hacking group Switchroot to the rescue, announced on Twitter the group hope to have Android out on switch within the next few days, albeit in beta form.

Source - https://gbatemp.net/threads/switchroot-plans-to-release-android-on-the-nintendo-switch-within-the-next-five-days.544283/

*Insert It's Happening meme here*

I personally can't wait to try this out, the Switch is a good console but it's an amazing homebrew device and having access to a full suite of Android apps? Count me in.

Maybe im being stupid but why android on the switch? isnt it better to use an android phone with a controller grip (e.g rog phone (expensive ik)). You get a better screen, batt life, etc?

Desktop: Slick

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

Phone: Huawei Mate 20 pro 128gb Black + iphone 6s 32gb gold

As someone who's in a discord with the SwitchRoot team, there's a LOT of caveats and features still MIA

• Only certain serial numbers are compatible
  • Deep sleep is not implemented and full shutdown may re-require a bootloader payload
  • Various other incomplete features, not fully functional features, and unknown bugs

It should be noted that this is an UNOFFICIAL Lineage release. Be ready to jump through a TON of hoops to get it working once and possibly all over again if you power the console off or the battery dies. This isn't for the faint of heart.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Just now, Zeddex said:

Maybe im being stupid but why android on the switch? isnt it better to use an android phone with a controller grip (e.g rog phone (expensive ik)). You get a better screen, batt life, etc?

mostly price. Also if you really like joycons or there pro-controller

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

into trains? here's the model railroad thread!

1 minute ago, rcmaehl said:

As someone who's in a discord with the SwitchRoot team, there's a LOT of caveats and features still MIA

• Deep sleep is not implemented and full shutdown may re-require a bootloader payload
  • Various other incomplete features, not fully functional features, and unknown bugs

It should be noted that this is an UNOFFICIAL Lineage release. Be ready to jump through a TON of hoops to get it working once and possibly all over again if you power the console off or the battery dies. This isn't for the faint of heart.

wait could they make a gamecard of linux?

I live in misery USA. my timezone is central daylight time which is either UTC -5 or -4 because the government hates everyone.

2 minutes ago, will4623 said:

mostly price. Also if you really like joycons or there pro-controller

No offense, but does anyone really like the joycons over a proper grip (aka rog grip). Just curious

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600    Motherboard: Asus Prime X470-Pro    RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200mhz CL16   GPU: GTX 1080 8GB 

Storage: Samsung PM981 256GB (970 EVO)    PSU: Corsair TX650M   Case: Lian-Li PCO11 Dynamic - White  Fans: Deepcool RF120mm RGB

Peripherals: HP Omen X 35 Ultrawide (3440x1440, 100hz, G-Sync), Logitech g903, mdr-1000x, umc22 + AKG D5, Drevo Blademaster 87K RGB (Gateron Browns)

Laptop: Surface Laptop 2 Platinum - i5 8250u, 8gb ram, 256gb nvme, 13 inch pixelsense touch display

3 minutes ago, Zeddex said:

1. It's cooler

2. I think you can still play Switch games, not sure tho

3. You can dock the Switch and use it as a desktop (at least with Ubuntu on it)

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

1. It's cooler

2. I think you can still play Switch games, not sure tho

3. You can dock the Switch and use it as a desktop (at least with Ubuntu on it)

ahhh ok that is cool. Especially if you can play switch games, i might try it.

1 minute ago, Zeddex said:

No offense, but does anyone really like the joycons over a proper grip (aka rog grip). Just curious

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now let's wait for the HD2 community to come up with a Switch OS port.

1 hour ago, rcmaehl said:

is there a particular reason why it only works on some devices rather than all?

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

1 hour ago, Zeddex said:

I think a lot of the time it's just because you can. People love to tinker with their devices just to see what will run and what kind of goofy stuff you can do. I don't see a real reason to run Android on a Switch other than to mess around with it and see what the hardware can do. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

7 minutes ago, Levent said:

Because Nintendo found out about the exploit being used in the earlier models and patched it during manufacturing.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-informations-by-serial-number-read-the-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

2 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

My heart is strong, my knowledge is limited and my switch is ready.

Seriously though, I'm not scared of a little work or maintenance, in fact I enjoy it.

50 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

I think a lot of the time it's just because you can. People love to tinker with their devices just to see what will run and what kind of goofy stuff you can do. I don't see a real reason to run Android on a Switch other than to mess around with it and see what the hardware can do. 

Yep, that's it for me. I love understanding how things work and making them do things they weren't intended to do. I also love getting down into the nitty gritty, stuff like reading through config files looking for that one value that is stopping your idea from working.

It's so rewarding when you beat the software and get it doing what you want.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

54 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Because Nintendo found out about the exploit being used in the earlier models and patched it during manufacturing.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/switch-informations-by-serial-number-read-the-first-post-before-asking-questions.481215/

Well technically Nvidia patched it and afaik the exploit was known about in a different form long before the Switch launched.

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Yep, that's it for me. I love understanding how things work and making them do things they weren't intended to do. I also love getting down into the nitty gritty, stuff like reading through config files looking for that one value that is stopping your idea from working.

It's so rewarding when you beat the software and get it doing what you want.

Hell yeah! I don't have the technical knowledge to do that, but I do enjoy tinkering with stuff. I've piled zillions of mods in games, investigated out of map glitches into areas not officially open yet (real curious boi hours), and on the hardware side I've pushed my X58 hardware to near the limit. Need to try and push it farther, I think I've got my RAM as fast as it'll go but the CPU can go higher. Similar to going through the config files, X58 has a lot of settings and there can be one multiplier holding you back. A lot of trial and error, but getting the perfect combo and a higher bench score is incredibly rewarding. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

1 hour ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Here's a throwback to anyone who had a PS3 before 2010: remember the "Install Other OS" feature?

Yellow Dog Linux

Sadly I don't see any real purpose for this. CFW's, Ubuntu, and Lakka all have purposes that make the Switch pretty damn cool. But Android? My phone already has it and will perform far better than the Switch.

That said, it's also pretty damn cool so I'm totally gonna try it. Running Windows 95 on my Wii back in the day also served no purpose, but boy was it damn cool.

QUOTE ME IF YOU WANT A REPLY!

PC #1

Ryzen 7 3700x@4.4ghz (All core) | MSI X470 Gaming Pro Carbon | Crucial Ballistix 2x16gb (OC 3600mhz)

MSI GTX 1080 8gb | SoundBlaster ZXR | Corsair HX850

Samsung 960 256gb | Samsung 860 1gb | Samsung 850 500gb

HGST 4tb, HGST 2tb | Seagate 2tb | Seagate 2tb

Custom CPU/GPU water loop

PC #2

Ryzen 7 1700@3.8ghz (All core) | Aorus AX370 Gaming K5 | Vengeance LED 3200mhz 2x8gb

Sapphire R9 290x 4gb | Asus Xonar DS | Corsair RM650

Samsung 850 128gb | Intel 240gb | Seagate 2tb

Corsair H80iGT AIO

Laptop

Core i7 6700HQ | Samsung 2400mhz 2x8gb DDR4

GTX 1060M 3gb | FiiO E10k DAC

Samsung 950 256gb | Sandisk Ultra 2tb SSD

i'm just waiting for an untethered exploit that doesn't require another device to homebrew my switch...

it's extremely annoying that you have to reapply it every time you reboot the switch.

also that fact that you have to dump my entire switch NAND says that switch hacking will be awhile before it's just: run an app, switch hacked!

seriously this guide goes over how to hack the switch: https://nh-server.github.io/switch-guide/

the amount of information that it goes over gets overwhelming very quickly...

*Insert Witty Signature here*

System Config: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/Tncs9N

Now let's see the opposite - switch os or whatever it is on normal phones.  Any semi-recent flagship has as much or more performance, and you already have it with you at all times anyway.  Sounds good to me.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

7 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Now let's see the opposite - switch os or whatever it is on normal phones.  Any semi-recent flagship has as much or more performance, and you already have it with you at all times anyway.  Sounds good to me.

Easiest device to port it to would be Nvidia shield. Switch OS assumes a lot about installed hardware (Tegra graphics).

Switch emulation on the other hand, probably will happen sooner than the OS.

On 7/25/2019 at 3:03 PM, Levent said:

Probably a hardware vulnerability Thats only exists on some chipsets.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´