Switching between headphones and speakers

Delnith

My motherboard only has the basic sound connections, aka 3.5mm which is currently in use by my magni 2. I want to be able to switch between by headset/magni combo and a set of speakers. Soundcards seem to be generally poor quality, and USB speakers are challenging to find, especially anyones that are half decent. What is the best way to have the best of both worlds.

TLDR

Want to switch between sennheiser headset/magni setup and a set of speakers, how do?

you can run a dac like a topping d10. run a powered speaker off of the pre amp output of the magni.  

@Delnith what about something like this?

Then you can switch between the two in Windows sound settings instead

i don’t know much about audio stuff, so if this is a bad idea sorry

I got a ps5 and a pc pretty ballin

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

you can run a dac like a topping d10. run a powered speaker off of the pre amp output of the magni.  

Would the modi 2 work similarly? Only for sake of maintaining one brand of product together?

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

2 minutes ago, star_pilot475 said:

@Delnith what about something like this?

Then you can switch between the two in Windows sound settings instead

i don’t know much about audio stuff, so if this is a bad idea sorry

I appreciate the idea, I'm just a little weary of using such as cheap device for a mid tier headset and amp. I didnt think to look into adapters though, may be another avenue!

1 minute ago, Delnith said:

Would the modi 2 work similarly? Only for sake of maintaining one brand of product together?

https://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

I appreciate the idea, I'm just a little weary of using such as cheap device for a mid tier headset and amp. I didnt think to look into adapters though, may be another avenue!

would work fine. no the best price to performance but does the job and looks pretty with the magni. just run the power speaker on the rca line out of the back of the magni. 

27 minutes ago, Delnith said:

My motherboard only has the basic sound connections, aka 3.5mm which is currently in use by my magni 2. I want to be able to switch between by headset/magni combo and a set of speakers. Soundcards seem to be generally poor quality, and USB speakers are challenging to find, especially anyones that are half decent. What is the best way to have the best of both worlds.

TLDR

Want to switch between sennheiser headset/magni setup and a set of speakers, how do?

What is your budget ?  Also are you looking for flat sounding HP's like studio monitors or you want the sound to be enhanced with extra bass mids and highs which all speakers do.  However a studio monitor gives you the sound the producer wants you to hear.  My HP's were 500 bones and came out in 2010 I mix and master using it on my DAW.  It is sick, sounds just like my KRK's but of course in a headphone which has different hertz and frequencies.

Or do you want a gaming headset which will have enhanced sound.  Also you want 5.1 or 7.1 or just stereo and what not ?

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

As for your onboard audio, its really not that bad.  Unless your a pro in a studio then the onboard HD audio is just fine.  Only thing is its mini jack its not 1'4 jack.  It is def not a bad thing to use onboard audio now a days.  Realtek has come far over the years.  Unless your producing music your set my friend.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

21 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

What is your budget ?  Also are you looking for flat sounding HP's like studio monitors or you want the sound to be enhanced with extra bass mids and highs which all speakers do.  However a studio monitor gives you the sound the producer wants you to hear.  My HP's were 500 bones and came out in 2010 I mix and master using it on my DAW.  It is sick, sounds just like my KRK's but of course in a headphone which has different hertz and frequencies.

Or do you want a gaming headset which will have enhanced sound.  Also you want 5.1 or 7.1 or just stereo and what not ?

Im currently using Sennheiser HD 598SE and have loved them for years, no plan to get rid of them. The magni 2 via the onboard audio of my motherboard has done alright thus far as well. Studio monitors are probably gonna be budgeted around $200 for now......unless something better is worth every penny, then I'll save and wait. For years I used the logitech z506 setup as my speakers, but once I got a new motherboard the audio inputs became an issue.

2 minutes ago, Delnith said:

Im currently using Sennheiser HD 598SE and have loved them for years, no plan to get rid of them. The magni 2 via the onboard audio of my motherboard has done alright thus far as well. Studio monitors are probably gonna be budgeted around $200 for now......unless something better is worth every penny, then I'll save and wait. For years I used the logitech z506 setup as my speakers, but once I got a new motherboard the audio inputs became an issue.

I hear you I got the HD 650 as you can see, payed 500 bones for them at the time;  they came out in 2010 and are perfect studio monitor hp's The 598 is also fantastic.  Their german and what not, and we know only things come from germany.  So wait why would you want another HP.  You can't get better for that price range then the 598's.  Keep it number one thing!  Next if I understand you properly you want studio monitors and your budget is 200 US dollars ?  We can get you some nice monitors for that price range.  Again what is your preference for the monitors.  It will be a downgrade from your HP's if you buy some POS thing.  If I understand you correctly.  So what now you want studio monitors ?  Let me know and I will get you something kick ass around that price range maybe 50 bucks more or so.

6 minutes ago, Delnith said:

OH I SEE your using that sepeaker then what i reccomended wont work for you. 

2 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

I hear you I got the HD 650 as you can see, payed 500 bones for them at the time;  they came out in 2010 and are perfect studio monitor hp's The 598 is also fantastic.  Their german and what not, and we know only things come from germany.  So wait why would you want another HP.  You can't get better for that price range then the 598's.  Keep it number one thing!  Next if I understand you properly you want studio monitors and your budget is 200 US dollars ?  We can get you some nice monitors for that price range.  Again what is your preference for the monitors.  It will be a downgrade from your HP's if you buy some POS thing.  If I understand you correctly.  So what now you want studio monitors ?  Let me know and I will get you something kick ass around that price range maybe 50 bucks more or so.

I honestly don't have a preference of a regular pair of speakers, or bookshelf, or studio. I think bookshelf just based off the footprint they will have would be ideal for my desk, but I want something versatile that can do music and videos well.

5 minutes ago, Delnith said:

I honestly don't have a preference of a regular pair of speakers, or bookshelf, or studio. I think bookshelf just based off the footprint they will have would be ideal for my desk, but I want something versatile that can do music and videos well.

for under $200 look at the micca rb 42 or the sony sscs5  both very good passive speakers and buy a $50 amp to drive them .  

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

for under $200 look at the micca rb 42 or the sony sscs5  both very good passive speakers and buy a $50 amp to drive them .  

Good post....... I was looking to get him bi amplifed ,, so no need for amp ya know.

7 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Those both look really good and have great reviews. What kind of amp is needed tho?

Just now, Delnith said:

Those both look really good and have great reviews. What kind of amp is needed tho?

Not too sure not very well versed in the amp.region of the speaker space @Derkoli might have something for you

1 minute ago, Delnith said:

The amp is not a good idea IMO.  Connected to a non audiophile sound card.. You might get some noise or static.  You can just get a converter from 1'4 to mini jack stereo behind your mobo.  If I find you good ones for around 200 go for it.  AMP is a headache, plus 50 bucks will be a POS amp and what not.  Let me give you my recommendation so you can just plug it in and enjoy them.

Just now, Turtle Rig said:

The amp is not a good idea IMO.  Connected to a non audiophile sound card.. You might get some noise or static.  You can just get a converter from 1'4 to mini jack stereo behind your mobo.  If I find you good ones for around 200 go for it.  AMP is a headache, plus 50 bucks will be a POS amp and what not.  Let me give you my recommendation so you can just plug it in and enjoy them.

Let me make sure we are both on the same page. Purchasing a modi 3 for my 598SE setup anyway, and that will end up connecting to my desktop via USB. Leaving speakers to have a 3.5mm connection. And bookshelf speakers do not need an amp and will run fine alone?

4 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

That's why you run the amp off of the magni rca out

7 minutes ago, Turtle Rig said:

oh shit just realized his total budget is $200 so including the dac he wouldn't have enough money  for the whole setup.

4 minutes ago, rice guru said:

That's why you run the amp off of the magni rca out

Oh sorry I didnt catch that part.

Figure out the RMS wattage of the speakers so you know exactly what amp to get.

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

oh shit just realized his total budget is $200 so including the dac he wouldn't have enough money  for the whole setup.

What kind of amp would be good for a bookshelf speaker setup? and would the magni be able to support both via the Red/white connections and spdif? Im not well versed in audio connections.

Just now, Delnith said:

What kind of amp would be good for a bookshelf speaker setup? and would the magni be able to support both via the Red/white connections and spdif? Im not well versed in audio connections.

the magni line out would just be a pass through allowing the signal coming from you dac to go to the speaker amp. the speaker amp will be the things powering the speaker the only thing the magni is really providing is the signal no power. 

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

the magni line out would just be a pass through allowing the signal coming from you dac to go to the speaker amp. the speaker amp will be the things powering the speaker the only thing the magni is really providing is the signal no power. 

Ok, so just so I can map it out.

Sennheiser HD 598SE ---> Magni 2 ---> Modi 3 ---> Desktop

Speakers ---> ? ---> desktop

I am lost still

Sennheiser HD 598SE ---> Magni 2 ---> Modi 3 ---> Desktop 

yes this is correct but also 

speakers --->speaker amp ------>  Magni 2 ---> Modi 3 ---> ---> desktop