Switching between headphones and speakers

Delnith

rca out of these into the rca input of a powered speaker or an amp. 

out.png

5 minutes ago, rice guru said:

Sennheiser HD 598SE ---> Magni 2 ---> Modi 3 ---> Desktop 

yes this is correct but also 

speakers --->speaker amp ------>  Magni 2 ---> Modi 3 ---> ---> desktop

.....just realized I have the Magni 1.....no dual inputs.....maybe just buy the new one.

1 minute ago, Delnith said:

.....just realized I have the Magni 1.....no dual inputs.....maybe just buy the new one.

no youu might have the 2 the picture I sent was the magni 3. I just assumed the 2 would have that feature as it's pretty much standard for$100 headphone amps these days. 

6 minutes ago, Delnith said:

I wouldn't buy the magni 3 their are beter amps for that price point. 

one thing you could do is to split the signal from the DAC itself @Turtle Rig correct me if im wrong but a split rca cable should be fine as the signal is running in parallel but as long as the input impedance on the amp is high the signal shouldn't degrade at all. 

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I wouldn't buy the magni 3 their are beter amps for that price point. 

The magni I have will still interface with the modi in order to get my 598s to enter the desktop via USB. Leaving the 3.5mm open as my only audio input. If I need an amp for speakers, cost aside, which would you suggest.....within reason?

4 minutes ago, Delnith said:

The magni I have will still interface with the modi in order to get my 598s to enter the desktop via USB. Leaving the 3.5mm open as my only audio input. If I need an amp for speakers, cost aside, which would you suggest.....within reason?

I'm sorry I can't quite help you there my expertise on speaker amps is non existent. I just sknow what speakers in this budget are well regardedas I myself want a speaker upgrade. bu will be getting a micca origain when I doe which is a $100 speaker amp. which I believe is above your budget. the best thing I can thik of right now is for you to get a powered speaker like he edifier 1280t  or a jbl 104

6 hours ago, Delnith said:

What kind of amp would be good for a bookshelf speaker setup? and would the magni be able to support both via the Red/white connections and spdif? Im not well versed in audio connections.

A small-ish amp with 10 watts rms per channel at least would be perfectly fine on a desk setup. I used to run a pair of bookshelfs with 10 watts each. Plenty enough power.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

5 hours ago, Delnith said:

For an amp within reason, have a look at the SMSL AD18: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AD18-Stereo-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=smsl+ad18&qid=1563877023&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Its plenty enough power and connectivity, and if the motherboard has spdif/optical out, you can connect straight to this as it has a built in DAC. It also has a subwoofer pre-out so you can add a powered sub later on down the line.

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

For an amp within reason, have a look at the SMSL AD18: https://www.amazon.co.uk/AD18-Stereo-Amplifier-Bluetooth-Subwoofer/dp/B071JN7GXN/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=smsl+ad18&qid=1563877023&s=gateway&sr=8-3

Its plenty enough power and connectivity, and if the motherboard has spdif/optical out, you can connect straight to this as it has a built in DAC. It also has a subwoofer pre-out so you can add a powered sub later on down the line.

My current motherboard only has line in, line out, and mic in. Any other necessary ports would need to be added via a sound card or such.

19 minutes ago, Delnith said:

My current motherboard only has line in, line out, and mic in. Any other necessary ports would need to be added via a sound card or such.

Why not split the line out? then you can just turn on whatever you wanted.

5 minutes ago, Derkoli said:

Why not split the line out? then you can just turn on whatever you wanted.

Splitting the line out won't reduce audio quality?

23 minutes ago, Delnith said:

Splitting the line out won't reduce audio quality?

Not at all. Aslong as the splitter isnt hot garbage, something like this is perfect: https://www.amazon.co.uk/UGREEN-Headphone-Compatible-Smartphones-Connector/dp/B00LM0ZGK6/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ugreen+3.5mm+splitter&qid=1563889805&s=gateway&sr=8-3

10 hours ago, Derkoli said:

With the uGreen splitter, will it see 2 separate audio inputs or just allows both to be played and the amps turned off?

10 hours ago, Delnith said:

With the uGreen splitter, will it see 2 separate audio inputs or just allows both to be played and the amps turned off?

Windows will see it as just one. It will allow both headphones and the speakers to be played at once, But you can just turn the headphone amp off to play the speakers, and vice versa.

4 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Windows will see it as just one. It will allow both headphones and the speakers to be played at once, But you can just turn the headphone amp off to play the speakers, and vice versa.

That sounds perfect. Thanks for your help!

5 minutes ago, Delnith said:

That sounds perfect. Thanks for your help!

Np.