My Internet speed sucks

AlphaAlex

So I have a pretty slow internet speed. Its like 15mbps download and 0.7mbps upload, yes 0.7. I have really old router like from 2014/15 maybe that is the problem? Or is it because i dont live in the center of my town, Im from Latvia, Riga.

My provider is Lattelecom. I don't have a wired connection and my internet is DSL. What can i do to improve my internet?

what speeds do you pay for from your ISP?

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

5G might be a viable alternative if available 

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

On 7/22/2019 at 1:48 PM, Skiiwee29 said:

what speeds do you pay for from your ISP?

I pay about 20$ for speeds up to 200mbps i think.

1 hour ago, AlphaAlex said:

since it sound like you dont know... find out from your ISP 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 hours ago, AlphaAlex said:

Yeah Id call the ISP and find out. Also remember DSL is distance limited. The further you are from the Co or the remote box in the neighborhood the shittier it gets. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

On 7/22/2019 at 6:45 AM, AlphaAlex said:

So I have a pretty slow internet speed. Its like 15mbps download and 0.7mbps upload, yes 0.7. I have really old router like form 2014/15 maybe that is the problem? Or is it because i dont live in the center of my town, Im from Latvia, Riga.

My provider is Lattelecom. I don't have a wired connection and my internet is DSL. What can i do to improve my internet?

This may be a stupid question, but is it good enough for you to do whatever you need to do right now? I mean, if so, there's no need to do hours of research or pay through the nose for internet

12 hours ago, 00100000 said:

This may be a stupid question, but is it good enough for you to do whatever you need to do right now? I mean, if so, there's no need to do hours of research or pay through the nose for internet

It's not enough I upload videos on YouTube. It's not enough for me and we have more than 1 device connected 3 phones 1 PC 1 laptop. I browse the internet a lot.

14 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

since it sound like you dont know... find out from your ISP 

I tried it's just that we've had this ISP for like 6 years and the speeds and price have changed on their side.

If you have DSL, its highly unlikely that your ISP provides "200Mbps"

That speed would be a VDSL2 30a profile over coax, which would be extremely unlikely on a consumer connection. 

Can you login to your modem, and share a screenshot of your connection statistics?

Almost all will have an information page that shows Downstream/Upstream connect rates, SNR, power, connection type, etc....

It sounds like you might be on ADSL2+ which if it is, means its probably as fast as you can get for a fixed service, unless they offer Fiber (GPON) or Cable (DOCSIS) in your area. 

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

@AlphaAlex

What router and modem are you using, most likely it would be the router causing the bottleneck? Although it is possible that the modem is causing it if its really old. Are there any obstructions to the WI-FI signal between the host router and the client devices which could be lowering the speed? Try connecting a computer device with a good Ethernet cable and Ethernet card installed into the modem directly and checking your internet speed with a internet speed test. If you are not getting what you pay your ISP for then, I would contact them to come over and take a look at the issue since it could be their wiring for data throughout your building which may need to be upgraded.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

6 hours ago, Jarsky said:

If you have DSL, its highly unlikely that your ISP provides "200Mbps"

That speed would be a VDSL2 30a profile over coax, which would be extremely unlikely on a consumer connection. 

Can you login to your modem, and share a screenshot of your connection statistics?

Almost all will have an information page that shows Downstream/Upstream connect rates, SNR, power, connection type, etc....

It sounds like you might be on ADSL2+ which if it is, means its probably as fast as you can get for a fixed service, unless they offer Fiber (GPON) or Cable (DOCSIS) in your area. 

Umm I don't know how to do that but if this can be of any use then this is my routers model Technicolor TG589vn v2 or maybe v3 I don't know they look the same.

3 hours ago, Boomwebsearch said:

@AlphaAlex

What router and modem are you using, most likely it would be the router causing the bottleneck? Although it is possible that the modem is causing it if its really old. Are there any obstructions to the WI-FI signal between the host router and the client devices which could be lowering the speed? Try connecting a computer device with a good Ethernet cable and Ethernet card installed into the modem directly and checking your internet speed with a internet speed test. If you are not getting what you pay your ISP for then, I would contact them to come over and take a look at the issue since it could be their wiring for data throughout your building which may need to be upgraded.

Well I would have used a wired connection to my PC but a guy from the company saw that we had an even older router that is not being used and cut the cables on it...one of them was a LAN cable which was going through two walls! That wasnt cheap to do!. My router is a Technicolor TG589vn v2 or v3 .

On 7/23/2019 at 2:26 PM, AlphaAlex said:

reminds me about some of the complaints I get working for an isp. Do you know what package you are on (I know before showing up) answer is I don't know but it is slow.

on a very old and I mean old package we don't offer anymore. 256kbps or 1.5mbps. These are also the people who complain about there speed and having to pay more to upgrade.

BTW not saying this is the case. You also need the 5ghz wifi to get the 200mbps

12 minutes ago, intertan said:

reminds me about some of the complaints I get working for an isp. Do you know what package you are on (I know before showing up) answer is I don't know but it is slow.

on a very old and I mean old package we don't offer anymore. 256kbps or 1.5mbps. These are also the people who complain about there speed and having to pay more to upgrade.

BTW not saying this is the case. You also need the 5ghz wifi to get the 200mbps

Well should I give my ISP a call and see what they say? I dont personally trust them because i know them for scamming and stuff (for example, a keyboard which usually costs 40$ costs 200$ from them. They even advertise it as a mechanical RGB keyboard which it is not I got it for free with my PC atleast I didnt get scammed for that).

7 minutes ago, AlphaAlex said:

Well I would have used a wired connection to my PC but a guy from the company saw that we had an even older router that is not being used and cut the cables on it...one of them was a LAN cable which was going through two walls! That wasnt cheap to do!. My router is a Technicolor TG589vn v2 or v3 .

The Technicolor TG589vn V2, only has 100 Mbps LAN ports and supports 300 Mbps Wireless N. With WiFi, you lucky if you get 2/3 of that. So even on a wire or wireless your probably not going to get 200 Mbps with that router. 

However Im almost positive your not on a 200 Mbps plan on DSL. You would need to be near the remote box in the neighborhood or right up the street from the co. DSL is very distance limited. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

Just now, Donut417 said:

The Technicolor TG589vn V2, only has 100 Mbps LAN ports and supports 300 Mbps Wireless N. With WiFi, you lucky if you get 2/3 of that. So even on a wire or wireless your probably not going to get 200 Mbps with that router. 

However Im almost positive your not on a 200 Mbps plan on DSL. You would need to be near the remote box in the neighborhood or right up the street from the co. DSL is very distance limited. 

Well as I have said the plan is quite old so it probably was different back then. Would a new router or call to the ISP help at all? I've been thinking to get a new router but I don't know which one my price range is like up to 70$.

4 hours ago, AlphaAlex said:

Umm I don't know how to do that but if this can be of any use then this is my routers model Technicolor TG589vn v2 or maybe v3 I don't know they look the same.

OK so to access the routers information page, you need to browse to its IP address

For Technicolor thats normally http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254

Then under Broadband Connection > "DSL Connection" you want to click 'View more...', that should show all the details about your connection which you can screenshot

Secondly, I know this Router quite well - I used to use it. 

It could be possible you're on VDSL but the router could be causing you slow speeds. Many ISP's implemented a specification on VDSL2 called G Vectoring. This router has never been updated with a firmware update to support this, which cripples the performance. I had a 150M/50M VDSL line which would do about 5M/1M on this router

Spoiler

Desktop: Ryzen9 5950X | ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wifi) | EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 | 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB Pro 3600Mhz | EKWB EK-AIO 360D-RGB | EKWB EK-Vardar RGB Fans | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 4TB Samsung 980 Pro | Corsair 5000D Airflow | Corsair HX850 Platinum PSU | Asus ROG 42" OLED PG42UQ + LG 32" 32GK850G Monitor | Roccat Vulcan TKL Pro Keyboard | Logitech G Pro X Superlight  | MicroLab Solo 7C Speakers | Audio-Technica ATH-M50xBT2 LE Headphones | TC-Helicon GoXLR | Audio-Technica AT2035 | LTT Desk Mat | XBOX-X Controller | Windows 11 Pro

Spoiler

Server: Fractal Design Define R6 | Ryzen 3950x | ASRock X570 Taichi | EVGA GTX1070 FTW | 64GB (4x16GB) Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz | Corsair RM850v2 PSU | Fractal S36 Triple AIO + 4 Additional Venturi 120mm Fans | 14 x 20TB Seagate Exos X22 20TB | 500GB Aorus Gen4 NVMe | 2 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe | LSI 9211-8i HBA

8 hours ago, Jarsky said:

OK so to access the routers information page, you need to browse to its IP address

For Technicolor thats normally http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.1.254 

Then under Broadband Connection > "DSL Connection" you want to click 'View more...', that should show all the details about your connection which you can screenshot

Secondly, I know this Router quite well - I used to use it. 

It could be possible you're on VDSL but the router could be causing you slow speeds. Many ISP's implemented a specification on VDSL2 called G Vectoring. This router has never been updated with a firmware update to support this, which cripples the performance. I had a 150M/50M VDSL line which would do about 5M/1M on this router

Umm yeah I think i doesn't have the default password or username..

Capture.PNG

12 hours ago, AlphaAlex said:

Capture.PNG

Right so you actually have the TG788vn not the TG589vn

Checking this article https://setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tg788vn/login.htm

The login name is 'Administrator' and the password is either <blank> or its printed on the label on the back. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

On 7/25/2019 at 8:34 AM, AlphaAlex said:

Sometimes, I see that cable companies will purposely use a different default signing for added security since most users don't bother with changing it. Try some default passwords that are associated with your model of modem, maybe check the user manual as there could be the factory default password there. Could be that the cable company changed it for you (for security), so contact them for the password and username as a last resort.

Hope this information post was helpful  ?,

@Boomwebsearch 

On 7/25/2019 at 12:42 AM, AlphaAlex said:

You didn't query that at the time, seeing as they destroyed your property?  That's outright illegal.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

On 7/26/2019 at 4:28 AM, Jarsky said:

Right so you actually have the TG788vn not the TG589vn

Checking this article https://setuprouter.com/router/technicolor/tg788vn/login.htm

The login name is 'Administrator' and the password is either <blank> or its printed on the label on the back. 

The defaults didnt work so where is the password?

20190730_235217.jpg

if you dont even know what you're paying for, you arent in the position to troubleshoot your speeds.

call your isp, and find out what you're supposed to be getting, then go from there.

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.