When was the first time you got a small scratch on your baby (PC)?

thedemoncowboy

I just noticed a small scratch on my baby, I feel like it’s like a car so now I’m upset. Hopefully I’ll get over it, does anyone else have anything like that on their beasts? 

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

From shipping, yeah. I have the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, it's huge and a massive pain in the ass to carry around. I didn't bother trying to return it (the whole top part is broken). The case is the least of my worries, I'm more concerned for my PC parts. Even then, the very first time I screwed down a motherboard I slipped and put a huge scratch in the PCB; took a whole ass layer off. Gigabyte makes great motherboards because that very board still works to this day.

Probably when I drilled a hole in the front of it to mount a switch, when I got it out of the box. 

First pc I built was in the age of plain beige boxes, The closest I got to a fancy case was an antec 900, which ended up with a scratches window the first time it was cleaned. I kinda see why tempered glass is so common now since its much harder to damage. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

Mine is cause I have ocd and tapped the glass against the chassis I was like great now I have to return my computer ? ocd for the loooooose

Maingear F131 "Ghost Edition" | MSI Z390 | i9 9900k | Gaming Edge | Apex Full Liquid Cooling | 64 GB HyperX Predator RGB 3200 MHZ | SLI 2080 RTX Ti |1200 W EVGA SuperNOVA P2 | 2 TB NVME WD BLACK | 2 TB NVME m.2 660 p | 4 TB HD | ASUS ROG PG27UQ

16 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

From shipping, yeah. I have the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra, it's huge and a massive pain in the ass to carry around. I didn't bother trying to return it (the whole top part is broken). The case is the least of my worries, I'm more concerned for my PC parts. Even then, the very first time I screwed down a motherboard I slipped and put a huge scratch in the PCB; took a whole ass layer off. Gigabyte makes great motherboards because that very board still works to this day.

The blackhawk ultra is an amazing case, I sold mine off and miss it almost every day.

Though, it is much too large to put on my desk...

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

I scratch the black paint on the screws in the building process, does that count?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

10 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

I scratch the black paint on the screws in the building process, does that count?

of course that counts!

my case is white, nzxt decided to screw those screws so hard that when i removed them, white paint came with them, well done nzxt!

i have to decide if paint that area on top of the case and with what paint, this is matte white, all to change a noisy stock fan..

17 minutes ago, goto10 said:

of course that counts!

my case is white, nzxt decided to screw those screws so hard that when i removed them, white paint came with them, well done nzxt!

i have to decide if paint that area on top of the case and with what paint, this is matte white, all to change a noisy stock fan..

My little scratches fit inside a .5 pen and I’m devastated  lol

I remember when my 19" Trinitron monitor tipped off the stool it was sitting on in my room and landed against the window of my Koolance PC2 tower and had it not been for the Slot A Athlon tower next to it, my PC2 would have gone right over on it's side. There's still a big white gouge on the Lexan case window but no other damage really.

Also I had a hard drive catch fire once too.

1 hour ago, thedemoncowboy said:

I just noticed a small scratch on my baby, I feel like it’s like a car so now I’m upset. Hopefully I’ll get over it, does anyone else have anything like that on their beasts? 

i have an hp pavilion dv9000 with a small crack on the right display hinge and another small crack to the left of the three indicator lights. but it's still kickin

48 minutes ago, goto10 said:

of course that counts!

dell used to do this to and it makes me mad. i cant get one of those stupid screws with a air driven screw gun

1 minute ago, SuperNerd Kid said:

dell used to do this to and it makes me mad. i cant get one of those stupid screws with a air driven screw gun

something tells me they put those screws not by hand, a robot or a person using a electric screwdriver or something like that, that doesnt have any control on the strength that should be used to screw those screws

1 hour ago, it_dont_work said:

Probably when I drilled a hole in the front of it to mount a switch, when I got it out of the box. 

First pc I built was in the age of plain beige boxes, The closest I got to a fancy case was an antec 900, which ended up with a scratches window the first time it was cleaned. I kinda see why tempered glass is so common now since its much harder to damage. 

i have a desktop and it has a big ol crack on the PLASTIC transparent side panel 2 months after i built it and i sure ain't gonna replace it because it will just crack again.

1 minute ago, goto10 said:

something tells me they put those screws not by hand, a robot or a person using a electric screwdriver or something like that, that doesnt have any control on the strength that should be used to screw those screws

the only other way this had happened is if the screw melted due to the heat from groud shipping because it shipped in the summer of louisiana and it gets to 100 degrees F

Just now, SuperNerd Kid said:

the only other way this had happened is if the screw melted due to the heat from groud shipping because it shipped in the summer of louisiana and it gets to 100 degrees F

plus radiation of heat by metal

4 minutes ago, goto10 said:

idk but i have to get the screw out so i can replace a part and it real close to a circular saw

29 minutes ago, Bitter said:

Also I had a hard drive catch fire once too.

You're really just gonna leave us with that and not finish the story!? I've got my popcorn, I'm ready! ?

12 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

You're really just gonna leave us with that and not finish the story!? I've got my popcorn, I'm ready! ?

Well I mean there's not much more to tell.

It was the late 90's or early 2000's, before USB portable drives were anything more than a few dozen megabytes in size. I needed to move larger amounts of data between computers at two homes because divorced parents, so I had a 4GB Maxtor hard drive that fit just perfect into an empty leatherette CD storage pouch. I'd plug the drive into the IDE ribbon, boot the PC, get what I needed off it or play whatever games were installed on it, then when it was time to go to the other home I would shut down and take it with me.

Well it was an internal drive of course without any enclosure so it got bonked around in transit through the school day somewhat. Now back then an external hard drive was always nearly a desktop drive with a little padding in a box, you still needed to handle it gently. Except of course external drives cost a bunch more and were generally substantially slower unless you got an external SCSI drive but those were very expensive, you needed the adapter card, and the cables, no thanks too costly. Or you had a USB 1.0 which was still kind of new or an old parallel port drive which was almost pointlessly slow. So my solution was to transit an internal drive back and forth multiple days a week in my backpack in a CD pouch because that was the best solution at the time.

So anyway the drive was sitting out on the top of the desktop PC which my dad had been given by his friends brother from the University of Chicago, his friends brother's lab was researching cancer in rats with a MRI machine in the lab basement and had a network of PC's upstairs to crunch the results. So this PC was a bit of a mis-match system. It was a socket 7 board with a K6-2 that took either SDR or EDO or FP RAM, it had APCI power management but was running an AT power supply which had a big red recessed flip switch at the back corner of the case, it had 80 pin ATA 66 IDE which was awesome, and an AGP port. You could populate both SDR and EDO/FP in at the same time but it would run at the speed of the slowest one of course. But I digress....

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

So this 4GB Maxtor drive is laying upside down on the top of the former lab PC's chassis as I've just connected it and flipped the AT power switch round the side of the case, the system booted, then that hard drive started to make a weird noise and not more than a few seconds later as I looked over there was smoke coming from one chip on the circuit board which then snapped loudly, ejected some epoxy casing, and sprouted a small birthday candle like flame. I quickly blew the flame out, and reached what seemed like 1/4 mile around to the AT power switch to kill the system. Likely the heads crashed and stopped or slowed the disc platters causing the spindle motor power transistor to overheat and go up in flame.

And that's the story of the time a hard drive caught fire.

I usually take a screwdriver to something after I get it out the box.

Once the first scratch is made I stop worrying.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

-

19 minutes ago, Oso Sin Nombre said:

I don't care about small scratches, but I can't tolerate fingerprints. The Intel NUC is glossy black on the top, so you can see your fingerprints for miles ?

my case is matte white, so no fingerprints here, but the left panel is glass, that one requires a microfiber cloth to keep it presentable