New PC newbie here

Hello All!

I am pretty new to PCs, I kind of got the itch when I tried to run Autodesk Inventor on my Best Buy bought premade HP desk top. (AMD Phenom II X4 820) It kind of worked a bit for a while, until I did a texture update and then Autodesk would run it into the ground. So a buddy of mine who is more knowledgeable about PCs came over and opened my eyes to CPUZ and GPUZ. With those we found my onboard graphics were reaching 120 Degrees C!!! So I went to Micro Center (my first time there too) and picked up a Zotac GTX-570 and a cheap refurbished Seasonic 500w power supply. Problem solved. That simple experience opened my eyes.

Now I have spend the last 6 months+ slowly learning and planning a build for myself. This gets a bit addicting.

So if I ask stupid questions please forgive me and chalk it up to my noobness. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

But... but where are the questions? :o

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

Welcome 

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Welcome! Post your planned build in New Builds and Planning and we can help you improve it. But read the pinned topics in that section first, makes our lives easier.

CPU: i7-4770k CPU Cooler: NH-D14 RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb GPU: EVGA Superclocked 780 ti MOBO: ASUS Maximus VI Gene PSU: Corsair RM 850 Case: Bitfenix Prodigy M

Welcome!

Also for your next build wait for maxwell in the GPU side of things and hold onto the 570. Those things are still really fast cards. 

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Welcome! Post your planned build in New Builds and Planning and we can help you improve it. But read the pinned topics in that section first, makes our lives easier.

I will make sure to read those before posing in the planning area. ;)

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Welcome to the forum shall I say first.

Well you can't really ask a "stupid" question here, because you're here to learn things and not getting flamed if you made a common mistake.

Otherwise I hope that you enjoy being a member of the Linus Tech Tips community ;)  

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Welcome to the forums!

CPU: i7-4770k (LM modded) - MB: GA-Z87X-UD3H - RAM: HyperX, 16GB 1866MHz - GPU: Palit GTX 980Ti Super - Storage: 1TB HDD + 500GB/120GB SSD (850 Evo/840) - Monitor: Predator XB271HU - PSU: 700W BeQuiet 80+ Gold

Welcome!

Also for your next build wait for maxwell in the GPU side of things and hold onto the 570. Those things are still really fast cards. 

I have bought my buddy more than a couple of beers for pushing me into the 570. I have been extremely impressed with that upgrade for the small investment I put in.

I have bought my buddy more than a couple of beers for pushing me into the 570. I have been extremely impressed with that upgrade for the small investment I put in.

Yeah, it's a great card if you don't need all the things the 600 series has like shadowplay and such.

Yeah, it's a great card if you don't need all the things the 600 series has like shadowplay and such.

When I bought it at Micro Center it was on sale for $169.99 I think... Then with a refurb PSU i spent less than $200 OTD. 

When I bought it at Micro Center it was on sale for $169.99 I think... Then with a refurb PSU i spent less than $200 OTD. 

That's a really good deal, 580's are still like $200 used.

That's a really good deal, 580's are still like $200 used.

I take none of the credit. I had (and to some extent still do) no idea what i was looking at. I was counting on my friend to guide me in the right direction.

Welcome!

ok, Stupid question #1. Maxwell, Is that Nvidia's new GTX-8XX line?

ok, Stupid question #1. Maxwell, Is that Nvidia's new GTX-8XX line?

yes.

Welcome!

what is maxwell?

Another human...noooo way, greetings brother

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.

As I get older I get angrier more cynical, meaner. I feel some warning posts coming. I feel a ban coming. I was warned.

CPU-i5 2400 GPU-Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC Mobo-H67MA-D2H-B3 Ram-G.Skill Ripjaws 8gb 1333mhz Case-Fractal Define R4 PSU-Corsair CX750 Storage-Samsung EVO 250gb, 1tb WD Black,Hitachi 1tb Other stuff-Corsair K90, M90 Cooling-3x 140mm Fractal fans Sound-Sennheiser HD438 headphones

what is maxwell?

91wow was nice enough to answer that question for me just one post above yours ;)

91wow was nice enough to answer that question for me just one post above yours ;)

oh derp

EDIT:

ps your not alone i am new on this forum and am a newbie as well plus this is the first forum i have ever joined and have been here for about a week

Lucky bastard. I wish I had a microcenter close to me. Most of their great deals are limited to in-store pick ups. On top of that, since I live in Hawaii, both NCIX and Newegg make me pay exorbitant shipping prices so I end up using amazon, which generally speaking doesn't have great pc component prices, but at least has free shipping. 

"Common sense is not so common." -Voltaire

oh derp

EDIT:

ps your not alone i am new on this forum and am a newbie as well plus this is the first forum i have ever joined and have been here for about a week

No worries. I may be really new here but I have been around forums for years already. I am not here to judge anyone.

...Unless I want to...

Welcome dude!  Hope you enjoy your time on the forum!  Here are some awesome tips that no matter what anyone else says, keep these in mind:

AMD is not horrible, Intel is not far better than AMD

AMD CPUs and GPUs are on the rise so keep that in mind for your future build, it might be worth to invest.

No matter what people say you don't need a high end graphics card for a gaming build.

Keep your CPU and GPU in the same range, eg: GTX 660 with an i5, GTX 780 with an i7, AMD r7 260x with AMD 6300, AMD r9 290x with AMD 8320 or 8350. 

Some other helpful tips:

Don't pay for antivirus software unless you really want extra protection.

Welcome!

We all start somewhere!

I started playing Diablo 1/2, Red Alert, Warcraft, StarCraft on my family's HP desktop in 2000.

Eventually moved up to a Dell Desktop and put in my own Nvidia GT 7900 in 2004 which opened my eyes to 3D gaming on computers.

And finally, in 2010, I custom built my own gaming desktop P55 chipset, Intel 875k, Nvidia GTS 450, etc.

Keep learning, keep asking questions, keep growing!

CPU: Intel 875k @ 4Ghz, Motherboard: Asus P7P55DE Pro, RAM:8gb Corsair Dominator, GPU: ASUS GTX 660ti SLI, Case: Corsair 600T (Graphite), Storage:120gb OCZ Vertex 4/1 TB WD Black, PSU: 850W Corsair 80+ Gold, Displays: 2x ASUS 23in 1080p 120hz Cooling: Corsair H100i, Mouse/Keyboard: Razer Death Adder & Razer Black Widow, Speakers: Corsair SP2500