First Controller for PC gaming on the sofa?

ramm

I never thought I would ask this but I think I might need a controller.

I've always been a PC gamer with an absolute hate of consoles and controllers, mostly because they are inferior to PC hardware and because I literally suck with controllers.. However I now have a very big 4K tv in my livingroom which is cloned to the 4K display of my PC on the other side of the room at my desk. This makes it super convenient to just easily switch locations from my desk or the sofa since the picture is the same on both screens. At first I was looking for an extra set of (wireless) keyboard and mouse, but then I thought maybe I should look into a controller for the sofa so I, and my casual friends, can experience beautiful 4K PC gaming from the livingroom.

What controller would you guys recommand to a controller noob like me? Are the XboX or the Playstation rip-offs a better choice? Or should I look for the original ones? Or is there a better brand/form of controller that i'm not aware of?

Thanks alot

Steam controller's nice, and more integrated towards sofa use, but it's less premium and has an unusual layout - 35$.

Xbox one controller - requires expensive dongle and windows 10, but all the games are made to fit it (i.e. if you try to open a door in the Witcher, the promt would say "Y button'') which is nice. I personally hate how the joysticks are not aligned, but that's personal choice. 

PS4 controller - my personal favorite from my days as a PS3 user - connects with any Bluetooth device and works well, but may have some bugs and require a software to use. Buttons are not optimized on the prompts which sucksss. 

You can't go wrong with the console controller's, but they are usually around 60$. If you're looking to save, get the steam controller. It's not bad at all.

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

bare in mind which buttons layout you prefer. 

eg xbox use A. B X Y, RB.RT menu etc and

PS use Trangle/ O/ X R1 R2 R3, start select etc.

its quite hard to translate from one to another in your mind...

you could also try out some cheap third part wireless ones like gamesir etc

1 hour ago, LukeLinusFanFic said:

Steam controller's nice, and more integrated towards sofa use, but it's less premium and has an unusual layout - 35$.

Xbox one controller - requires expensive dongle and windows 10, but all the games are made to fit it (i.e. if you try to open a door in the Witcher, the promt would say "Y button'') which is nice. I personally hate how the joysticks are not aligned, but that's personal choice. 

PS4 controller - my personal favorite from my days as a PS3 user - connects with any Bluetooth device and works well, but may have some bugs and require a software to use. Buttons are not optimized on the prompts which sucksss. 

You can't go wrong with the console controller's, but they are usually around 60$. If you're looking to save, get the steam controller. It's not bad at all.

Thanks, but the Steam Controller doesn't have joysticks. Isn't that the whole point of a controller? I had the Xbox1 controller or ripoffs in mind because they seem to have the best, most ergonomic design. I was never fan of PS controllers

1 hour ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

bare in mind which buttons layout you prefer. 

eg xbox use A. B X Y, RB.RT menu etc and

PS use Trangle/ O/ X R1 R2 R3, start select etc.

its quite hard to translate from one to another in your mind...

you could also try out some cheap third part wireless ones like gamesir etc

Thanks but I dont think I have a preferance. I mean the buttons are called different but both controllers have 4 buttons on that spot so I guess it doesnt matter what it says, you can easily edit it in the controls right?

7 hours ago, ramm said:

What controller would you guys recommand to a controller noob like me?

cont.jpg.8b76006bbaa7c07e1825fc0158c2b116.jpg

$20.00 - $30.00 on eBay.

7 hours ago, ramm said:

I've always been a PC gamer with an absolute hate of consoles and controllers, mostly because they are inferior to PC hardware and because I literally suck with controllers..

I was always a console gamer and making the switch to PC using M&K, I still suck using M&K after two and a half years(mostly because I use a controller still).

7 hours ago, ramm said:

Are the XboX or the Playstation rip-offs a better choice?

Hell no. A very decent choice if you're on a budget is to go with an Xbox 360 controller but make sure you get it as new as possible. Wired if possible as well.

7 hours ago, ramm said:

Or should I look for the original ones?

Look for exactly what you see in the picture above. Visit a dollar store for a $1.00 wire(buy 2) for a backup way to use a controller in case your rechargeable batteries die. And rechargeable battery kits are so good these days, they have doubled in price. Don't be afraid to buy the best brand of these as they last forever.

7 hours ago, ramm said:

Or is there a better brand/form of controller that i'm not aware of?

Nope.

5 hours ago, ramm said:

you can easily edit it in the controls right?

Varies from game to game. Most games let you do everything you wish but around 20% of games will have partial controller support and around 15% of games will have no controller support. Partial controller support is always a tossup. 100% of games on console have controller support and maybe 5% of them you can remap the controls to your liking on console. Most games will let you switch between button layouts on console but you can't remap them to exactly how you wish. This is why this is one of the advantages to PC gaming.

I'm partial to the Xbox One controller myself.  You can get a wireless receiver for it or just get a long usb cable.  Plus nearly every modern game supports it with no issue.  My controller servers me well in games like Monster Hunter, Dark Souls or any racing game I play.