Free video converter???

i do all the media related stuff for a gaming company and a construction company and a few youtube channels and social media accounts for a few companies.. I was using my Note 9 to record all the video with an external lapel mic for better audio.. and everything was working perfectly fine.. I recently upgraded to a Decent nikon just so i look a little more professional that using a phone to record on. people dont see the amazing specs on the phone all they see is a phone and although nobody has ever said anything negative or expressed any concern or lack of truyst in the end result, i just feel like its kinda tacky.. i have all these studio lights and condenser mics and boom mics and lapel mics and mic amps and then a phone to record on. lol. i just wanted to step it up a notch.

so the issue is this: The nikon records video in mp4 format. For whatever retarded reason, divinci resolve will absolutely not work for mp4 format video. itll give me a normal track for audio that plays perfectly fine, and a separate track for video that shows all black in the source/timeline viewer previews and itll be a line of mixed black and pixelated ugliness in the timeline. nothing i can do will get it to work like a normal freakin video format.

through my researching wtf is going on ive discovered that divinci doesnt support MP4 at all. itll do a ton of other formats that i cant get access to. and every single program i have tried to use to convert the mp4 to quicktime or preferably DNxHD has either given me a watermark which will never be ok, or itll limit my conversions to 2 minutes and itll disregard the whole rest of the mp4 and not even give me a whole conversion, or itll have other issue thatll make it unusable.. what in the FVKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

so this should be a really easy answer to anyone who knows this stuff,,  what is the best program that i can use thatll give me unlimited use of converting videos to quicktime or DNxHD or ANY other supported video format???

thank you in advance. Its 2am in NY. i should be in bed but ive gotten exactly ZERO things done tonight after being at the site all day recording stuff for the client. Im about to throw this camera out the window.. Then go get it and apologize to it because its not the cameras fault that divinci resolve is an asshole!!

PS

Resolve 16

win 10 x64 1903
asus z97 deluxe
i7 4790k 4.8ghz
32Gb ddr3 3k? mhz
RX580 8gb
80+ silver 750watt psu
nvme ssd c:/
a bunch of 1tb and 500gb hdd's for mass storage

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

which is the best in your opinion? and are these all free?

You asked for free, so yeah... :P 

And for which one is best? I would say ease of use: Handbrake, tho that is my personal preference.

1 minute ago, Dujith said:

You asked for free, so yeah... :P 

And for which one is best? I would say ease of use: Handbrake, tho that is my personal preference.

awesome. thank you!

5 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

hanbrake doesnt do mov or quicktime or dnxhd
mediacoder does do dnxhd but gives me an error when i try to start the conversion and stops itself
and ffmpeg wont even install

Handbrake can open it but it cannot encode into it.

FFMpeg is you best bet, but does require some setup. Since its an command line tool it wont "install" like a windows app but just unpack the tools.

You will need to use the command line to convert the video. Its a bit of a small learning curve but in the end more versatile then the other ones.

For you it would be something like this i think:

ffmpeg -i "yourvideo.mp4" -c:v dnxhd -b:v 100M -pix_fmt yuv422p -c:a pcm_s16le "outputvideo.mxf"

The bitrate in this example is 100 megabits (100M) @ yuv442p with PCM 16bit sound

Adjust for whatever you need.

You can read up on FFMpeg here: https://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

and the dnxhd settings: http://www.deb-indus.org/tuto/ffmpeg-howto.htm#Encoding_VC-3

5 minutes ago, Dujith said:

Handbrake can open it but it cannot encode into it.

FFMpeg is you best bet, but does require some setup. Since its an command line tool it wont "install" like a windows app but just unpack the tools.

You will need to use the command line to convert the video. Its a bit of a small learning curve but in the end more versatile then the other ones.

For you it would be something like this i think:

ffmpeg -i "yourvideo.mp4" -c:v dnxhd -b:v 100M -pix_fmt yuv422p -c:a pcm_s16le "outputvideo.mxf"

The bitrate in this example is 100 megabits (100M) @ yuv442p with PCM 16bit sound

Adjust for whatever you need.

You can read up on FFMpeg here: https://ffmpeg.org/documentation.html

and the dnxhd settings: http://www.deb-indus.org/tuto/ffmpeg-howto.htm#Encoding_VC-3

ok. that makes more sense. lol. thank you

https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/SupportNotes/DaVinci_Resolve_15_Supported_Codec_List.pdf

is it h264 or h265? I'd expect Nikon less likely to use h265 than Note 9, but who knows...
I think trying MKVToolnix might be useful, it would repack the mp4 video and audio stream into .mkv without any transcoding, if it's some weird DaVinci Resolve bug, it could help it and it'd be much faster than any transcoding(as fas as copying files).

Of course it doesn't support a great, free and open format, just a mass of proprietary ones. So I support ffmpeg too, you could search for some Windows GUI for it.

You can find many free video concerts. Install few of them, test and choose best one for you. Or keep them all.

4 hours ago, Dujith said:

Can confirm that Handbreak is very good. I use it, myself.

I like working, playing videos games and listening to music. In my spare time I also love to read books. 

Always willing to learn new tech and improve my knowledge.

16 hours ago, homeap5 said:

You can find many free video concerts. Install few of them, test and choose best one for you. Or keep them all.

i have tried probably 50 between today and yesterday. the OONNEE that i found that gives me a freakin format that i can use if a program called "prism file converter". it gives a shit load of formats. and ONLY .mov will work.. online it says it can use .avi but when i converted a video to .avi it still wouldnt work.. so irritating.

4 hours ago, SparkShot said:

i did download handbrake. and tried to use it. converted several files several times with several formats and none of them worked in resolve. so i revo uninstalled it.

13 minutes ago, TheSystemSetup said:

best free video converter

https://systemsetup.tech/handbreak

handbreak doesnt do mov or dnxhd which are the only 2 formats i need to convert to.. I wish handbrake had more options and could do more formats cuz its a very easy program to use.

On 7/8/2019 at 11:05 PM, Jstagzsr said:

i have tried probably 50 between today and yesterday. the OONNEE that i found that gives me a freakin format that i can use if a program called "prism file converter". it gives a shit load of formats. and ONLY .mov will work.. online it says it can use .avi but when i converted a video to .avi it still wouldnt work.. so irritating.

i did download handbrake. and tried to use it. converted several files several times with several formats and none of them worked in resolve. so i revo uninstalled it.

AVC is not the same program as handbrake.