Completely dead WD SA510?

LaeMat

Hello,

I obtained a WD SA510 500GB SSD recently from my neighbor as it had died. Luckily, we had a backup, so she bought a Crucial MX500 and we put that in her computer instead.

I wanted to see if I could repurpose my SSD. While not at all a good idea, it might still work for testing.

When I connect it via a USB SATA enclosure, It'll ask for the BitLocker key. I enter it in, and it asks me to format the drive before using it. If I try to format it in windows, it'll fail with "Windows was unable to complete the format." All partitions are still visible, and I can change the drive letter on the main one. I tried several partitioning tools included with Hiren's PE, and they either won't do anything or will crash when trying to partition it. Oddly enough, CrystalDiskInfo says the health of it is good (but it is only detected in Hiren's PE). GParted fails with "Input/output error during write on /dev/sda". MacOS fails to erase it, but I can't recall the error.

Is the drive THAT dead? Or is there some other tool that might be able to get it working again?

i would open it and check if anything is shorting out..