"AMD needs to stop launching their products on weekends" - LS

MattMatt
2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not everyone does. It's largely something that happens in the tech sphere, but as of right now, JayzTwoCents only pushed his CPU review.

And those that do, it either boils down to bragging rights or stupidity, probably both.

They do so solely for bragging rights.

You straight-up have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not going to bother to correct you any further, but I'll leave this post here so anyone who comes across it in the future doesn't get the wrong idea. 

Timeliness on a single launch is not the end of the world. In the longer term, maintaining a reputation for being a key source of timely information is the difference between existing and not existing. 

6 minutes ago, LinusTech said:

Timeliness on a single launch is not the end of the world. In the longer term, maintaining a reputation for being a key source of timely information is the difference between existing and not existing. 

OP sounds like the only one who actually cares that it launched on a weekend. Plus, don't lots of people have to come in on a weekend anyway? And if you don't like dealing with customers excited about the stuff your store is selling...maybe don't work at that store? lol

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

Timeliness on a single launch is not the end of the world.

Again, timeliness =/= releasing videos as soon as a product or information drops.

5 hours ago, LinusTech said:

In the longer term, maintaining a reputation for being a key source of timely information is the difference between existing and not existing. 

Being a reliable source is more important. And rushing to the dick measuring contest does not help reputation. Producers demonstrate a willingness to forgo accuracy and quality every time they participate in it.

But I'll take long term advice from the guy who pushes low quality clickbait for short term growth, a tactic that has a history of failing long term.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

win on sunday sell on monday

although I guess you can also sell on sunday

oh well there was an attempt

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Personally I agree with Linus on this. They need to stop doing major launches such as Ryzen and Radeon on weekends for a few reasons.

1. AMD relies on the hype around their launches a lot more than Intel does because like it or not, they are still fighting a battle against the image they built up of being lower performance but better value. I understand them wanting to have all the videos launch on a weekend when most people are free and will be able to spare the time to watch them but they should consider their influencer and reviewer partners.
  2. Launching on a weekend means not only do the reviewers have to do overtime when things go wrong, but people at not only AMD but all their board partners have to work weekends to deal with the strain of day 1 issues and tech support.

Basically this all comes down to the people that a weekend launch impacts, especially when late driver updates are landed on reviewers on the Friday at the end of a working week. It impacts the companies that have to pay overtime. It impacts the people working the overtime as they can lose time they'd rather be spending with their families and it's frankly rather antisocial of AMD to do this to their partners.

|| CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 (@3.9GHz) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus || Cooler: Arctic Freezer 33 eSports Edition || GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC || Memory: 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB C16 (@2933MHz) || SSD: SanDisk 128GB || HDD: WD Blue 2TB, Toshiba 2TB, Transcend 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM550x || Case: Fractal Design Focus G || Monitor: 2x AOC 23” I2369VM IPS Full HD, Samsung 32" LED TV Monitor || Mouse: Logitech G703 Wireless || Keyboard: Cooler Master MK750 RGB (Cherry MX Brown) || Speakers: Dell Stereo Speakers || Headphones: Sennheiser HD 4.40 BT / Samsung Galaxy Buds ||

10 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

Yeah being on time along with every other tech reviewer is critical. If you're not as mentioned you really lose out on views and it would make LTT look bad to publish a review later than everyone else.

Linus or LMG staff didn't have much other choice, either post the review they already spent time and money on which was wrong, or redo all of their testing on a weekend because AMD rushed out a lower price on Navi and a driver update just to keep the 7th PR marketing that doesn't mean much. Interestingly enough, according to GamersNexus the launch drivers were broken yet he still had to redo all of his testing.

You're ignoring the extremely obvious third option here:  wait until Monday.

One LTT's top 3 product reviews is the Asus G703G laptop.  They published this review on May 29, 2018 and it has over 4 million views -- good enough to put it in the top 50 all time views list for this channel.  And yet.... TechRadar had a review up a full week before that? 

None of LTT's phone, CPU or GPU reviews where they've hit the embargo date exactly have outperformed the G70G video in raw views.  Heck, LTT's review of the iPhone X came out three full weeks after people like iJustine, but it's still the best-performing phone review in the channel's history.

I totally get the perspective from Steve (who really wanted us all to know that he slept at the office in order to finish his review "on time") and Linus, who love new hardware and want to get going on it right away..... but rushing doesn't produce the most compelling content in the longer term.  Steve's video, in particular, isn't going to stand the test of time because he spends a lot of time complaining about problems that are going to be fixed, likely within days.  The LTT videos is also of lower quality than we're used to.

All this talk but I can't see LTT video about Navi, am I missing something?

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

1 hour ago, warrenr said:

The LTT videos is also of lower quality than we're used to.

That's a particularly impressive feat.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.