ShouldI upgrade from a Core i5 2500K to an i7 3770?

Specs

i5 2500K

2x4GB RAM (1333)

RX580 8GB

250 SSD HD

1TB HD

Is upgrading worth it? I don't want to change my motherboard. Otherwise it is getting to expensive

As far as I know I7 3770 is the best CPU for Socket 1155

However they don't make them anymore and the prices they asking are criminal. Over 200, even 300 for a CPU that's almost a decade old? That's too much

However I want to play BF5 at at least 60 FPS (@ 1080p) and now I can only run it at about 45FPS. CPU Is clearly the bottleneck

Should I upgrade or overclock? I can overclock to maybe 4.0GHz

1 minute ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

However they don't make them anymore and the prices they asking are criminal. Over 200, even 300 for a CPU that's almost a decade old? That's too much

most cases its not worth it. intel i7 used prices are insane.

also consider xeon 1230 v2 (i think)

when comparing used intel  with new ryzen (whole platform) , always better to buy newer gens

if you have a decent motherboard and psu just get a AIO watercooler for your cpu and overclock it to moon (and also get more ram)

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

14 minutes ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

Over 200, even 300 for a CPU that's almost a decade old? That's too much

eBay

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

The best cpu of a given socket tends to carry quite the premium. You've little room to complain though. I'm on the H97 platform here. Desktop Broadwells for this bloody thing are rarer than unicorns and priced accordingly.

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

3 hours ago, FoxMulder2014 said:

Specs

i5 2500K

2x4GB RAM (1333)

RX580 8GB

250 SSD HD

1TB HD

Is upgrading worth it? I don't want to change my motherboard. Otherwise it is getting to expensive

As far as I know I7 3770 is the best CPU for Socket 1155

However I want to play BF5 at at least 60 FPS (@ 1080p) and now I can only run it at about 45FPS. CPU Is clearly the bottleneck

Should I upgrade or overclock? I can overclock to maybe 4.0GHz

Yes it's really worth if you can have it for cheap, the i7 8 threads will allow you to play BF V smoothly there will be a huge difference.

Also consider getting 2x4gb more for a 16GB total and you will be set.

BF V is very cpu demanding and the extra 4 thread will help a ton

I myself had a 4690K and BF 1 and BF V were getting cpu lag (stutters) cpu would be at 100% usage often 

Got a 6700k and difference was huuuuge

Also a 580 can run BF V @ ultra settings @ 1080p 60 hertz which it will do with a 3770 even 8 GB total ram should be enough

SEe below : 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgJXPmKovX8 

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

I have the same CPU and once my CPU started really being a hindrance I decided it just made more sense to get a new CPU/mobo/RAM than spend way too much money on a used Ivy Bridge i7. It's still a 4 core CPU after all, just with hyperthreading and very minor IPC gains. I'm going over the top and replacing everything, but you could get a new CPU/mobo/RAM for like $400.

It costs more to replace all three, but saving money now by getting that Ivy Bridge i7 could just end up costing you more money in the long run when you want to replace that one, too.

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT | ASUS ROG Strix X470-F | 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB @3400MHz | EVGA RTX 2080S XC Ultra | EVGA GQ 650 | HP EX920 1TB / Crucial MX500 500GB / Samsung Spinpoint 1TB | Cooler Master H500M

3 minutes ago, melete said:

I have the same CPU and once my CPU started really being a hindrance I decided it just made more sense to get a new CPU/mobo/RAM than spend way too much money on a used Ivy Bridge i7. It's still a 4 core CPU after all, just with hyperthreading and very minor IPC gains. I'm going over the top and replacing everything, but you could get a new CPU/mobo/RAM for like $400.

It costs more to replace all three, but saving money now by getting that Ivy Bridge i7 could just end up costing you more money in the long run when you want to replace that one, too.

Yep that make sense. One thing you could consider is sell cpu for whatever and get a 2600k for 4 extra threads

LEts say you can't afford the full platform upgrade, a quick little upgrade just to run smooth BF V is not a bad idea either. I would say if you tend to keep the computer for another 3-5 years it's worth it to upgrade the CPU to a 2600k or 3770

IF you will change the computer in 1-2 year then surely is not worth it

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

If anything upgrade your RAM to 16GB with faster speed. BF5 will love that. However, since its DDR3 you better be committed to sticking with that platform.