Pros & Cons X570 Top-End Boards

Hey guys 

So im currently looking around at the different boards and each time i read about the features about one of them, then i want it. 

The boards i currently have my eyes on is:

- MSI Meg X570 Godlike

- MSI Meg X570 Ace

- Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme 

Which are also the boards that have received the most attention the only exception to

- Asus Crosshair Hero VIII Formular (But this board always comes in at a way higher premium than the others fo what?)

So the Asus board most likely have the best VRM cooling, but really only needed for Record breaking OC'ing not really just pushing it as far as you can with gaming.

Because lets face it. All of these boards VRM is going to handle the 3950x perfectly fine fully overclocked for 24h usage without breaking a sweat. 

So now im looking for Pros and Cons for each of the toptier boards, im looking for reasons why i would choose 1 board over the other because im really in doubt. 

I dont have Asrock on this list because i really doubt they will offer anything special which is a must have that these boards dont. 

I hope i can get some amazing inputs from you guys. 

Yes im going to purchase one of these boards, price doesnt matter to me if they are all going to be in the 700-800 euro segment which it seems like. 

And im going to put in the 3950x once it comes out in september.

Gigabyte

Pros

Great Aesthetics

New Software Features
Bundled RGB hub (Dont know if this actually follows with the board but that is my understanding)

Passive Chipset cooling

Cons
Horrible RGB Software
Horrible OC Software (Know from GPU, CPU might be different, since it can be done through Bios duh)

MSI Godlike

Great Aesthetics

Decent RGB Software

Bundled with Nvme PCIE expander & 10gig ethernet (Again dont know if you get this with the product)

Cons:

Dont really have any so far.

Asrock

Pros

Thunderbolt support

Cons

Bad bios

If any of you know how they are on the Intel platform they might have a lot in common on this release so feel free to come with your feedback about what you like and hate about the boards.

PC Specs

Ryzen 7 - 2700x - 4.2 Ghz 

MSI MPG X570s Carbon Max Wifi 

Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm ARGB Sync TT Premium

G.Skillz Trident Z 3200mhz CL16

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Aorus Xtreme

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Corsair RM750x - 750W Gold

All of them are really good, and if you aren't trying to break any overclocking records with LN2, just go with the board that looks the best to you and has all the features you want.  Based on the pros/cons you listed out, seems like you won't like the Aorus, so look into the MSI boards.  Since you're not planning on using this until the 3950x comes out, wait until more people start buying and review them.  Maybe your opinion will be swayed. 

Between all those boards though, I'd recommend the Asus based on my familiarity with their software and reputation for solid motherboards. 

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Gigabytes bios is actually quite good for overclocking on my z390 aorus pro. I would expect it to be the same or better on x570.

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

1 minute ago, alatron978 said:

Gigabytes bios is actually quite good for overclocking on my z390 aorus pro. I would expect it to be the same or better on x570.

Yeah the only cons i really have for Gigabyte is RGB fusion and Aorus Engine both slow and really lacking software

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

10 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme 

Best VRM afaik. Stupidly overkill, but you know. Thats the stuff. 

Buildzoid should have reviews of all of these boards by the time the 3950x comes along. So he will fill you in on the rest. Also Gigabyte is redesigning the BIOS to make it better iirc. 

Could take a look at the ASrock boards for their included thunderbolt. Would make the desk neater

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Best VRM afaik. Stupidly overkill, but you know. Thats the stuff. 

Buildzoid should have reviews of all of these boards by the time the 3950x comes along. So he will fill you in on the rest. Also Gigabyte is redesigning the BIOS to make it better iirc. 

Could take a look at the ASrock boards for their included thunderbolt. Would make the desk neater

Yeah it is overkill i agree, the VRM are really not too much of a concern to me since they are all pretty much overkill for somelike me who likes overclocking but not taking it to xtremes.

I have watched buildzoids videos already about the VRM board quality and chipset.

I dont even own anything that uses Thunderbolt.. My phone is the only thing using USB C. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

9 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

dont even own anything that uses Thunderbolt.. My phone is the only thing using USB C

Thunderbolt dock for all the peripherals and connectivity might not be a bad idea. 

28 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

All of them are really good, and if you aren't trying to break any overclocking records with LN2, just go with the board that looks the best to you and has all the features you want.  Based on the pros/cons you listed out, seems like you won't like the Aorus, so look into the MSI boards.  Since you're not planning on using this until the 3950x comes out, wait until more people start buying and review them.  Maybe your opinion will be swayed. 

Between all those boards though, I'd recommend the Asus based on my familiarity with their software and reputation for solid motherboards. 

Sorry didnt actually notice your message. 
Actually i intend to purchase it around 25th of July so i can see reviews and use it with my current 2700x untill 3950x is coming out since i might be able to hit my 2700x with some more juice compared to my B350 board. One thing though since i do have a Aorus GPU aswell it would benifit me to have a combined system for better RGB control. That is also a thing that swayes me. But man RGB fusion is bad :P

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

5 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

That is also a thing that swayes me. But man RGB fusion is bad :P

Just to note, gigabyte knows this. Probable update comming

46 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

So the Asus board most likely have the best VRM cooling,

Far from it, if we're to believe ASUS last trends it will have the worse of the bunch.

The best VRM and Power Phasing design will likely be shared by the MSi Godlike and Gigabyte Aoruus Xtreme.

47 minutes ago, Koxicain said:

Horrible OC Software

Nobody should ever OC CPU through software in the first place, regardless the motherboard.

A Pro I'd give the Gigbayte Aorus Xtreme is that it's the only board with passive chipset cooling, that little noisy fan on the chipset is a huge deal breaker to me personally, I will likely grab a X470 board for my Zen 2 just because of it.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

6 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

The best VRM and Power Phasing design will likely be shared by the MSi Godlike and Gigabyte Aoruus Xtreme.

Gigabyte is a tad better. Same number of phases (and the same phases), but it doesnt use doublers. 

22 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Just to note, gigabyte knows this. Probable update comming

Uhh see this could be a big factor. 

16 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Far from it, if we're to believe ASUS last trends it will have the worse of the bunch.

The best VRM and Power Phasing design will likely be shared by the MSi Godlike and Gigabyte Aoruus Xtreme

If you take a look at the Formula board it has Liquid cooling by EK, and correct me if im wrong but this would be the best cooling since it could be intergrated into a loop?

19 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

A Pro I'd give the Gigbayte Aorus Xtreme is that it's the only board with passive chipset cooling, that little noisy fan on the chipset is a huge deal breaker to me personally, I will likely grab a X470 board for my Zen 2 just because of it.

Good point aswell. I will add that to the list.

19 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

Nobody should ever OC CPU through software in the first place, regardless the motherboard.

True but still fun to fiddle around with if it actually works well and you just need minor changes to your OC before going into a game or whatever. 

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

43 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Thunderbolt dock for all the peripherals and connectivity might not be a bad idea. 

Added to the list but really not a game changing feature for me.

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

The latest AMD video on YouTube says that boards with more VRM headroom will allow for the CPU to boost beyond its stock clocks.  I guess up to 200MHz more, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

4 minutes ago, nick name said:

The latest AMD video on YouTube says that boards with more VRM headroom will allow for the CPU to boost beyond its stock clocks.  I guess up to 200MHz more, but I'm not sure exactly how that works.  

Which video are you referring to? Because i srsly doubt much higher OC's than stock since they could only get the 3950x to 5.2 on LN2. So for the 3950x that would go from 4700-4900

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

8 minutes ago, nick name said:

Sounds like overdrive doing stuff. Nothing interesting

12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Sounds like overdrive doing stuff. Nothing interesting

Ahhh, but that's the thing.  PBO behavior now only boosts up to the speed on the box.  PBO behavior with Ryzen 3000 and X570 boards with capable VRMs will add another 200MHz on top of it.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

6 minutes ago, nick name said:

Ahhh, but that's the thing.  PBO behavior now only boosts up to the speed on the box.  PBO behavior with Ryzen 3000 and X570 boards with capable VRMs will add another 200MHz on top of it.  

In other words overdrive. AMD's take on violating TDP........

I’m in the same boat as you, trying to decide on a high end x570 board but I HAVE to stick to atx , eatx doesn’t fit my chassis. I had the x470 gaming 7 board and the software and bios layout kinda soured me on the gigabyte option, I’m leaning towards the Ace right now personally

49 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

In other words overdrive. AMD's take on violating TDP........

Which I'm fine with.  If you can turn it on or off then I think it's a brilliant way to maximize performance.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Which I'm fine with.  If you can turn it on or off then I think it's a brilliant way to maximize performance.  

It should never be enabled by default. They would then be delivering a product that runs out of spec, out of the box. 

Just now, GoldenLag said:

It should never be enabled by default. They would then be delivering a product that runs out of spec, out of the box. 

No disagreement from me there.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

No disagreement from me there.  

And i dont think they will since intel's board partners tried that once. 

Only Asus ran within soec due to bad VRMs.

42 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

I’m in the same boat as you, trying to decide on a high end x570 board but I HAVE to stick to atx , eatx doesn’t fit my chassis. I had the x470 gaming 7 board and the software and bios layout kinda soured me on the gigabyte option, I’m leaning towards the Ace right now personally

Wait aorus xtreme is E-atx? Ive seen No label of this. According to some specs i looked up it seems to be 12x10.6 inches or in normal terms 30.5x27cm which is still within Atx size if im not mistaken

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB

Ohh man i need New case aswell fack me. Reminder to myself dont trust measurements on amazon

PC Specs

Samsung Evo 970 - 256 GB

OCZ Agility - 256 GB

Western Digital - 1 TB