So I got a DL380p G8 with 384GB RAM in it - for $249 USD. What do I do with it?

HKG

So I totally scored on a DL380p G8 with duel Xeon E5-2670's, 384GB ECC RAM (PC3-12800R), duel 750W PSUs, etc. I also bought 4 300GB 10K SAS drives for $12 each. I have no idea what to do with all this power. Any suggestions? I'm barely utilizing my old R710 as it is.

On 7/1/2019 at 11:14 AM, HKG said:

So I totally scored on a DL380p G8 with duel Xeon E5-2670's, 384GB ECC RAM (PC3-12800R), duel 750W PSUs, etc. I also bought 4 300GB 10K SAS drives for $12 each. I have no idea what to do with all this power. Any suggestions? I'm barely utilizing my old R710 as it is.

Steam caching server maybe, home surveillance (I’m trying it out), NAS with windows storage spaces, Gluster it with another server, backup drive for all your pcs, use it as a home lab test server. :) btw where did you get it from, eBay gumtree, and what country r u in. 

Technology is NEVER easy :(

On 7/1/2019 at 3:26 AM, leadeater said:

Well if you don't want it I'll buy it, that's a bloody good price you go it for lol

@HKG I'll +1 that :P

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

On 7/3/2019 at 4:22 AM, Trilex said:

Steam caching server maybe, home surveillance (I’m trying it out), NAS with windows storage spaces, Gluster it with another server, backup drive for all your pcs, use it as a home lab test server. :) btw where did you get it from, eBay gumtree, and what country r u in. 

I am in the US. I got it locally at a place called 3R Technology (in south Seattle). They were doing a sale. The server was normally $699.

You could do the same thing I did with my dl380 G7 with 75M memory and 8-125 SAS drives... put it in a vertical server rack in the networking closet and never turn it on. Course, I can't get internet fast enough to listen to Pandora where I live (just north of you) so any computing power I have is pretty much wasted. Would make a great server for IP camera (Blue Iris) or VM's or a wicked personal render box for video editing.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 10:07 PM, GuruOfNothing said:

You could do the same thing I did with my dl380 G7 with 75M memory and 8-125 SAS drives... put it in a vertical server rack in the networking closet and never turn it on. Course, I can't get internet fast enough to listen to Pandora where I live (just north of you) so any computing power I have is pretty much wasted. Would make a great server for IP camera (Blue Iris) or VM's or a wicked personal render box for video editing.

I definitely intend to use it. I have a 35U server cabinet, and will soon have a deticated networking closet. I already have some ideas of what to run on it, but I would like to actually utilize the RAM. It currently has Proxmox on it for VMs.