Windows 10 on a 7 laptop

I have a HP Pavilion g7 that has Windows 7 on it and with with windows 7 being killed off, would I be able to put an ssd and maybe some more ram, because I tried to do the upgrade already and it was really painful to use. it has DDR3l-1600. Is it worth a shot or is it pretty much done for?

I dont have much of a use for it so its not worth me buying a new laptop, but if I can get it running decent my mother or brother can use it.

Painful? I have Win8.1 laptop and using 10 is breeze. RAM is not issue, but installing and using with 5400rpm HDD probably is.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 hours ago, Firegoose said:

I have a HP Pavilion g7 that has Windows 7 on it and with with windows 7 being killed off, would I be able to put an ssd and maybe some more ram, because I tried to do the upgrade already and it was really painful to use. it has DDR3l-1600. Is it worth a shot or is it pretty much done for?

I dont have much of a use for it so its not worth me buying a new laptop, but if I can get it running decent my mother or brother can use it.

All you need is 4GB of RAM or more and a med range SSD of 120GB or more, and you'll have a fine experience.

If the laptop in question has a decent CPU, 4GB of RAM and an SSD Windows 10 should work fine.

However, there are two issues you might run into:

1. Intel CPU and AMD graphics. This combination should work fine under Windows 7, but under Windows 10 you might get a blank screen at startup which will eventually show the Windows desktop after some considerable time. If that is the case, disable ULPS (ultra-low power state) using regedit and looking for the EnableULPS registry key. If found, and it's a DWord, set it to 0 rather than 1.

2. HP DriveGuard / MobileProtection. Even if there is a Windows 10 driver for said device, always install the Windows 7 one. It might otherwise blue screen with storage related errors.