how do i use my xbox one controller for pc games?

Korepavore

im new to pc gaming so i apologize if theres a very simple answer i overlooked on google, but my friend said something about logitech having a software to play with one or something. what do you guys use / prefer? also im sorry if this doesnt belong here. thanks for any and all help!

*PRO TIP* neon lights do in fact make your rig faster!

Xbox one controllers, if they were manufactured past 2016(?), have bluetooth so you just connect it that way and any games that support controller input will take it as such

If you don't have bluetooth on your pc, then you can get a bluetooth dongle

or if you don't have one of the newer xbox controllers, you can get the xbox one controller dongle.

OR you can use a micro USB cable 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

First of all you need an xbox receiver for windows. The 360 controller and one controller require different receivers so you need that first.

After that, windows 10 does not need any drivers (comes with them pre-loaded), for windows 7 you need to find them first.

Once the controller is connected to the PC, it depends mainly on built-in support of the game or hoping xinput works with the game.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

Xbox one controllers, if they were manufactured past 2016(?), have bluetooth so you just connect it that way and any games that support controller input will take it as such

If you don't have bluetooth on your pc, then you can get a bluetooth dongle

or if you don't have one of the newer xbox controllers, you can get the xbox one controller dongle.

i have the usb wire for my controller, they just take simple android chargers which i have 1084232409 of. im not sure of the date, i didnt buy it prior to then but it could have been sitting a while. my pc also doesnt have a bluetooth feature sadly

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

First of all you need an xbox receiver for windows. The 360 controller and one controller require different receivers so you need that first.

After that, windows 10 does not need any drivers (comes with them pre-loaded), for windows 7 you need to find them first.

Once the controller is connected to the PC, it depends mainly on built-in support of the game or hoping xinput works with the game.

i have windows 10, so youre saying i can just plug my controller into my pc via usb and it should work given the game has controller support?

1 minute ago, Korepavore said:

i have the usb wire for my controller, they just take simple android chargers which i have 1084232409 of. im not sure of the date, i didnt buy it prior to then but it could have been sitting a while. my pc also doesnt have a bluetooth feature sadly

Sweet. So then when you launch a game with controller support, say rocket league, it'll work right away. No extra settings or anything needed 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

sorry, didnt know i had to specify between 360 and one. i have a one controller

2 minutes ago, Korepavore said:

i have windows 10, so youre saying i can just plug my controller into my pc via usb and it should work given the game has controller support?

Connect it with a wire and it should just work. As @slottr said, games like rocket league should work without needing any configuration at all. Just plug in, launch and off you go!

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

9 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

Connect it with a wire and it should just work. As @slottr said, games like rocket league should work without needing any configuration at all. Just plug in, launch and off you go!

just tested it with cuphead, worked perfectly. thanks!