Are non certified power supply usable?

Well there's a lots of criticism about non certified power supply(s) and actually only a small number  (2 or 3) youthoobers make videos on em 

I use a non certified psu which came with my case since I was in first grade (now I'm in 8th) and it's running fine without any trouble so it leads me to 2 questions 

1. Are non certified smps really bad ?
  2. Will my smps handle gtx 750 ti ¿¿

here's my stuff

• Intel dh61bf
  • I3 3210
  • 1x 4gb ddr3 
  • 1x 7200 rpm hdd 
  • 1x DVD writer
  • 1x 120 mm fan
  • The 250 watt non certified smps I talked about

When you're talking certified, are you addressing 80 plus?

If so, that 80 plus certification has no impact or validation on the quality of the unit. It simply addresses peak efficiency ratings. It's a voluntary rating process.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I second Semper's question, which certification are you asking about?

If they didn't bother with getting an 80+ cert it generally is garbage but being 80+ certed REALLY doesn't mean that it's any good either.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

6 hours ago, SeAsOn3 said:

Well there's a lots of criticism about non certified power supply(s)

Certified how?  TÜC?  CB?  CE?  UL?  CCC?  KCC?

In a lot of countries, it's actually illegal to sell a product without proper local certification.  But there doesn't seem to be much policing.

6 hours ago, SeAsOn3 said:

actually only a small number  (2 or 3) youthoobers make videos on em 

Because you can't properly review a PSU in a YouTube video.  Well, you can.. but it makes for a long and boring review.  Unboxing videos definitely don't count.  They don't any more than you do.

You can read, obviously.  So you should READ reviews and not go looking for some "influencer" that doesn't know what they're talking about.  ;)

If the power supply was included with the case and you bought the case in your country, then it is likely the power supply comes with all certificates that are legally required for it to be sold and used in your country.

If you are refering to any 80 plus something type certificate, that does not say too much about quality and I believe a lot of older units don't have it and still work fine.

By the way, it is not that easy to see whether a power supply really is doing a good job. You would need some sophisticated measuring equipment to make that determination (unless of course it shows some obvious signs of crappyness).

23 hours ago, greenhorn said:

If the power supply was included with the case and you bought the case in your country, then it is likely the power supply comes with all certificates that are legally required for it to be sold and used in your country.

If you are refering to any 80 plus something type certificate, that does not say too much about quality and I believe a lot of older units don't have it and still work fine.

By the way, it is not that easy to see whether a power supply really is doing a good job. You would need some sophisticated measuring equipment to make that determination (unless of course it shows some obvious signs of crappyness).

Yeah my smps has no 80+ or any other certification except for those required to be sold legally but it has no symbols on it except the company logo and "250 watt"

By the way I am from India?

11 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

Yeah my smps has no 80+ or any other certification except for those required to be sold legally but it has no symbols on it except the company logo and "250 watt"

By the way I am from India?

So 80 Plus doesn't really matter (see:  https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/423141-80-plus-efficiency-and-what-it-really-means/).  80 PLUS isn't so much of a certification as it's just a badge telling you how efficient your PSU is.  It certainly isn't a badge of quality since I've seen better "Bronze" PSUs on the market than many "Gold".

That said..  it's SO EASY to make a PSU that is at least 80% efficient these days, that there's no excuse not to.  If the PSU isn't 80 PLUS efficient, it's either VERY OLD or very, very cheaply made.  It could very well be slowly destroying your components as we speak.

There is a chance that it IS able to pass 80 PLUS, but if the company selling it is a small local company, they may not have sent it to 80 PLUS due to the cost of doing so; though typically these smaller companies will just leverage the same 80 PLUS that their OEM received when they developed the platform in the first place.  Some companies, like Aerocool, will just slap an 80 PLUS logo on their product because "we once sold a product with the same model that was 80 PLUS, so this one should be 80 PLUS too." (which is B.S. and down right misleading, but many Chinese companies are dishonest and misleading, so.....)

14 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

the company logo and "250 watt"

Why is what PSU you're using so "top secret"?  Are you that ashamed?  Why not just tell us what you have???

When it comes to 80+ certification, there are a number of companies that don't do it simply because of cost, to get the certification can cost $2,000 and more.
That doesn't meant that the PSU isn't efficient enough, they're just cost cutting.
In the enterprise server market almost no PSU's have an 80+ certification, doesn't mean they're bad, the do after all run 24x7 for years at a time.

Gaming PC's are a little different though, especially if you're overclocking, and the "grey box" PSU's can cause issues.

I think of it like getting a kebab from the van on the street.  It's cheap and you'll probably be fine, but then again if you're a bit delicate, you might get salmonella.

13 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Why is what PSU you're using so "top secret"?  Are you that ashamed?  Why not just tell us what you have???

O.k. okay I told that the psu came with the case and the case is of a company named "iball" and the smps also has iball logo 

This might be it

1 hour ago, SeAsOn3 said:

O.k. okay I told that the psu came with the case and the case is of a company named "iball" and the smps also has iball logo 

This might be it

" Their cabinets are pretty good but their range of power supplies / smps is pretty bad. Here I will talk about one of its widely available 400 Watt SMPS, which is iBall LPE223-400 which can be found very easily in any computer shop / store and I must say it is a really bad smps / psu and you should avoid it or dump it if you already have one."

Source:

https://www.akshatblog.com/iball-lpe223-400-smps-specification-price-and-review/

I cant imagine the 250w model is better than the 400w in that article;

Even though not many arguments are given "why" it is supposidly bad, im taking the articles word for it...

9 hours ago, SeAsOn3 said:

This might be it

Ok.   iBall PSUs are absolutely horrible.  You need to get rid of that thing before it kills any components.... or worse.

19 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

Ok.   iBall PSUs are absolutely horrible.  You need to get rid of that thing before it kills any components.... or worse.

Didn't you read the topic carefully I've been using it since 2013 and no harm has the psu did since 

Also I only posted this topic as the pc shop shopkeeper keeps telling me that my smps will fry my pc just because he wants to sell a PSU to me

On 7/1/2019 at 10:13 PM, SeAsOn3 said:

Didn't you read the topic carefully I've been using it since 2013 and no harm has the psu did since 

Also I only posted this topic as the pc shop shopkeeper keeps telling me that my smps will fry my pc just because he wants to sell a PSU to me

Why did you ask if you are going to dismiss the answers given?

You should consider yourself lucky that your $11 PSU has lasted as long as it has. Time to replace it.

On 6/30/2019 at 5:25 PM, SeAsOn3 said:

This might be it

Are you sure it's the ZPS-281? Cause you said you had a 250w PSU but that's not a 250W PSU. According to the sticker the ZPS-281 can only deliver about 130W on the 12V line, 40W on 5V and 15W on 3.3V.

image.png.9de8fed1b2103287d9326df93c716d1d.png

Not that it really matters which model you have since iBall doesn't have any good PSUs.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 hours ago, SeAsOn3 said:

I did read the topic.

iBall PSUs are absolutely horrible.  You need to get rid of that thing before it kills any components.... or worse.

The fact that you've used it since 2013 only means you're a lucky individual.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:57 PM, jonnyGURU said:

I did read the topic.

iBall PSUs are absolutely horrible.  You need to get rid of that thing before it kills any components.... or worse.

The fact that you've used it since 2013 only means you're a lucky individual.

On 7/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Spotty said:

You should consider yourself lucky that your $11 PSU has lasted as long as it has. Time to replace it.

Are you sure it's the ZPS-281? Cause you said you had a 250w PSU but that's not a 250W PSU. According to the sticker the ZPS-281 can only deliver about 130W on the 12V line, 40W on 5V and 15W on 3.3V.

image.png.9de8fed1b2103287d9326df93c716d1d.png

Not that it really matters which model you have since iBall doesn't have any good PSUs.

By the way it ain't zps 281 and according to powersupply.net my pc requires 200 watt which I belive it delivers correctly 

and I can bet you that if you check all the pc in my neighbourhood you may only find 1 individual using a good quality one and my pc doesn't have anything heavy (using integrated graphics )

And it ain't  $11 as it came with my $30 case it's free?

2 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

By the way it ain't zps 281 and according to powersupply.net my pc requires 200 watt which I belive it delivers correctly 

and I can bet you that if you check all the pc in my neighbourhood you may only find 1 individual using a good quality one and my pc doesn't have anything heavy (using integrated graphics )

On 7/1/2019 at 4:39 PM, Spotty said:

:)

12 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/11/26/exploding_computer_vs_reg_reader/ this thing that somebody had to BUY blew up and killed everything minus his HDD. That set itself on fire under idle loads. what do you think will happen if you leave your computer with your absolutely free power supply and it just so happens to give up at that very moment? it just needs a few minutes, eventually the fire gets big enough to spread to the carpet or the desk/bed. suddenly your perfectly working power supply started a house fire that'll cause thousands of dollars in damage. 

...and all because you were too cheap to spend a bit on a not-rubbish power supply. But hey, everyone else warned you already and you ignored it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

He's clearly a troll.

Comes in asking a question.  Gets everyone riled up.  Then dismisses everyone.

That's dictionary definition trolling right there.  I'm done here.

22 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

He's clearly a troll.

Comes in asking a question.  Gets everyone riled up.  Then dismisses everyone.

That's dictionary definition trolling right there.  I'm done here.

Umm if you think me a troll yo can leave I actually want to know what's the matter or should I say relationship between cheap smps and burning pc's what makes them far less safe from the expensive ones

24 minutes ago, SeAsOn3 said:

I actually want to know what's the matter or should I say relationship between cheap smps and burning pc's what makes them far less safe from the expensive ones

... Everything?

• Poor or outdated design
  • Ripple & voltage regulation outside acceptable levels
  • Lower quality components
  • Rated to operate lower temperatures
  • thinner gauge wires
  • Components with shorter MTBF (shorter life span)
  • Fewer or no safety protections (OCP, OPP, OTP, UVP, etc)
  • Safety protections implemented poorly or in ways that render it useless (ie. set too high)
  • Poor quality fan more likely to fail (causing PSU to overheat and fail)
  • worse assembly job (soldering, etc)
  • less stringent or non existent quality control
  • Higher likelyhood of manufacturing defects
  • fake or misleading labels/ratings that suggest they can do more than they actually can
  • and probably a lot more

If you think it was possible to manufacture and retail decent & reliable PSUs for the cost of a subway footlong sandwich don't you think the major brands like Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA, etc would be selling units that cheap as well? There's a reason why most useable PSUs don't start until the USD$40-$50 range.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450