3rd market ram heatsink

I built a really budget build and the ram i used is barebones Kingston ram, I was thinking of getting a 3rd party hyper x ram heatsinks, will it affect my performace as a friend told me they come without heatsinks because they are too warm to have them, sounds like a load of lies.

Thanks

Your friend doesn't know what heatsinks do.

If you wanna add them then it could do some good with RAM temps, but if you're not overclocking them then you won't need them.  They look nice, however.

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

Just now, nick name said:

Your friend doesn't know what heatsinks do.

If you wanna add them then it could do some good with RAM temps, but if you're not overclocking them then you won't need them.  They look nice, however.

has anyone ever in the history of computer hardware noticed computer ram throttling because of thermals?

Just now, ki8aras said:

has anyone ever in the history of computer hardware noticed computer ram throttling because of thermals?

It can cause errors if you're on the bleeding edge of an overclock.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

2 minutes ago, nick name said:

It can cause errors if you're on the bleeding edge of an overclock.  

really?

Just now, ki8aras said:

really?

Absolutely.  And depending on the overclock it doesn't have to be super high temps.  Mid 40*C can cause errors when on the edge.  

1 minute ago, nick name said:

Absolutely.  And depending on the overclock it doesn't have to be super high temps.  Mid 40*C can cause errors when on the edge.  

oh so its similar to what's happening with those RGB ssds

I don't know what nick name is smoking... it's not true what he says. Temperature isn't such a factor.

A heatsink's role is to take heat  concentrated in  one or several small areas (center of each memory chip) and spread it over a larger area (whole metal surface) reducing eat in those points.

However, memory chips don't consume a lot of power so they don't heat a lot.

Let's say a  ram stick consumes 3w and has 16 memory chips (8 chips on each side) this means  each tiny  chip will produce 3w/16=0.1875w ... let's go with 0.2w

A memory chip will usually increase in temp. by about 20-30c above ambient for every watt, so 0.2w will only  raise  the chip temp. by around 10c... so chips will hover around 35-40c.

Most chips  are designed to work perfectly fine up to 75-85c, so at standard frequencies  and voltages the chips don't heat enough too need heatsinks, they're mainly for looks.

5 minutes ago, mariushm said:

I don't know what nick name is smoking... it's not true what he says. Temperature isn't such a factor.

A heatsink's role is to take heat  concentrated in  one or several small areas (center of each memory chip) and spread it over a larger area (whole metal surface) reducing eat in those points.

However, memory chips don't consume a lot of power so they don't heat a lot.

Let's say a  ram stick consumes 3w and has 16 memory chips (8 chips on each side) this means  each tiny  chip will produce 3w/16=0.1875w ... let's go with 0.2w

A memory chip will usually increase in temp. by about 20-30c above ambient for every watt, so 0.2w will only  raise  the chip temp. by around 10c... so chips will hover around 35-40c.

Most chips  are designed to work perfectly fine up to 75-85c, so at standard frequencies  and voltages the chips don't heat enough too need heatsinks, they're mainly for looks.

Did you not notice that everything I said was focused on overclocked RAM?  

@mariushm  You can't simply imply I'm an idiot and bounce.  

2 hours ago, FourKayStudios said:

I built a really budget build and the ram i used is barebones Kingston ram, I was thinking of getting a 3rd party hyper x ram heatsinks, will it affect my performace as a friend told me they come without heatsinks because they are too warm to have them, sounds like a load of lies.

Thanks

your friend is a fool, if they ran hot then they would add heatsinks, to say they are to warm to need them shows he has ZERO clue what he is talking about.

Can you add a heatsink, YES, IS it worth the cost is the question, most RAM will run perfectly fine without one, if you are the type to simply insert RAM into your PC and boot up and go you won't notice a difference by adding heatsinks, heatsinks only matter when you get into heavy RAM Overclocks where you are upping the voltage and need extra mass to soak away the heat from the memory modules.

TL;DR unless you are trying to max your RAM OC (NOT your CPU OC) or just like the way they look heatsinks aren't required for RAM.