Should i Buy an RTX 2080 now? How long till price drop?

Maxt1607

Hi,

I have accumulated some pc parts and am just waiting to order the GPU. I was planning to order the GPU today however now the Super cards are supposedly going to be released on Thursday i am trying to work out if the 2080 will take a noticeable price decrease or not?

Does anyone have an idea of how much the price may go down and when the price is likely to change? I assume the price wont actually drop until the cards go on sale which is rumoured to be July?

In summary should i bite the bullet and by an RTX 2080 now or should i wait potentially a month for a price drop? If the price drops after they have been announced this week then that would be perfect but i am not sure when the price is likely to drop.

1 minute ago, Maxt1607 said:

Does anyone have an idea of how much the price may go down and when the price is likely to change

Nobody can tell, because companies don't actually release this information until the products hit the market. You'll just have to be patient.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

If the rumors are true, I would say the price drop will likely be in the 50$ range at most

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I know I'm waiting... it's too close not to.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, Princess Luna said:

I know I'm waiting... it's too close not to.

Id love to wait but i got rid of my previous system to fund his build so its either buy something this week or wait potentially a month and maybe only save $50.

I think maybe i should wait till they are announced then give it a couple of days and see if prices change atall

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

If the rumors are true, I would say the price drop will likely be in the 50$ range at most 

Hmmm $50 isn't worth me waiting a month with no GPU so i might bite the bullet this week then

I honestly do not expect a price drop at all since Nvidia would rather just confuse consumers with a bunch of in-between tiers but even if we end up being wrong about that, it probably can't hurt to wait like a couple more weeks anyway: I'd wait just long enough to get official pricing and third party benchmarks to see if a new tier makes more sense but I still wouldn't regret a 2080 today: it is close enough to 1080ti to be ok for moderate 4k (read: anything 4k but the most intensive games probably not maxed 4k just decent one from the top settings) and it has enough support for RTX for when it actually matters (Again this means: once smaller, easier to run games implement it you'll have enough performance to take the hit on the latest battle royale game with full Ray Tracing enabled, for the time being it's probably not an acceptable compromise but it's barely present on any games to factor into buying decisions imho)

-------

Current Rig

-------

1 minute ago, Maxt1607 said:

only save $50.

I'm not into it for the 50 bucks off, I'm into it for the 2080 Super Edition, it will be the fastest gaming card for my price point.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I honestly do not expect a price drop at all since Nvidia would rather just confuse consumers with a bunch of in-between tiers but even if we end up being wrong about that, it probably can't hurt to wait like a couple more weeks anyway: I'd wait just long enough to get official pricing and third party benchmarks to see if a new tier makes more sense but I still wouldn't regret a 2080 today: it is close enough to 1080ti to be ok for moderate 4k (read: anything 4k but the most intensive games probably not maxed 4k just decent one from the top settings) and it has enough support for RTX for when it actually matters (Again this means: once smaller, easier to run games implement it you'll have enough performance to take the hit on the latest battle royale game with full Ray Tracing enabled, for the time being it's probably not an acceptable compromise but it's barely present on any games to factor into buying decisions imho) 

Thanks for your thoughts i think as you say it is probably worth waiting a couple of weeks!

24 minutes ago, Maxt1607 said:

Hmmm $50 isn't worth me waiting a month with no GPU so i might bite the bullet this week then

The 2080 prices on Amazon are actually pretty good now, even better if you get an open box/ Amazon Warehouse item as in still fully functional and still including manufacturer warranty just either opened or a beat up box. I got an RTX 2080 MSI Gaming Trio X for a friends build and it was $644, brand new other than the box being beat up from the Amazon Warehouse. $150 off retail for a busted up box. Some of the cards are even cheaper depending on if it was actually used and returned or not. If you do a used - like new or a used - very good you shouldn't have an issue most of the time it says the reason for the price drop too i.e. Unopened item comes in original packaging, packaging is damaged. or Used item has minor cosmetic blemish, comes in original packaging. that sort of thing, but you can find some pretty good deals on the cards and they're backed by Amazon and also still have the manufacturer warranty

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

Unfortunatley i am from the UK and i cant get open box offers on Amazon. A EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA which i was going to purchase is currently £699 which is $877 which is quite expensive. The MSI GAMING TRIO X is the same price. UK is so expensive :(

10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The 2080 prices on Amazon are actually pretty good now, even better if you get an open box item as in still fully functional and still including manufacturer warranty just either opened or a beat up box. I got an RTX 2080 MSI Gaming Trio X for a friends build and it was $644, brand new other than the box being beat up from the Amazon Warehouse. $150 off retail for a busted up box. Some of the cards are even cheaper depending on if it was actually used and returned or not.

Unfortunatley i am from the UK and i cant get open box offers on Amazon. A EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA which i was going to purchase is currently £699 which is $877 which is quite expensive. The MSI GAMING TRIO X is the same price. UK is so expensive :(

3 minutes ago, Maxt1607 said:

Dang that's a bummer.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Dang that's a bummer. 

I notice you have a 1080 FTW3. Would you recommend EVGA? The RTX FTW3 is a 3 slot card, didn't realise how huge it was haha

the most you can pay for a 2080 is if you buy now, so don't buy now imho.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

12 minutes ago, Maxt1607 said:

I notice you have a 1080 FTW3. Would you recommend EVGA? The RTX FTW3 is a 3 slot card, didn't realise how huge it was haha

Yeah I've always used EVGA for my personal builds, they're a little expensive but the OC and cooling on the FTW3 cards is top notch.

4 hours ago, Maxt1607 said:

Hi,

I have accumulated some pc parts and am just waiting to order the GPU. I was planning to order the GPU today however now the Super cards are supposedly going to be released on Thursday i am trying to work out if the 2080 will take a noticeable price decrease or not?

Does anyone have an idea of how much the price may go down and when the price is likely to change? I assume the price wont actually drop until the cards go on sale which is rumoured to be July?

In summary should i bite the bullet and by an RTX 2080 now or should i wait potentially a month for a price drop? If the price drops after they have been announced this week then that would be perfect but i am not sure when the price is likely to drop.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4230397-nvidias-stock-may-fall

A correlation between nVidia stock prices and GPU prices. As long as nVidia stock prices remain in a consolidation period (which it is), prices for GPU will remain the same and hardly be affected. The plunge in the nVidia stock prices in July 2018 was the reason you see GPU prices started to tank. 1080 TI from $1,000 to $500. Looking at the stock prices now, it doesn't seem to be the case this year so you'll probably end up waiting a long time for those RTX 2080 to drop significantly in price. Key word here, significantly.

2 minutes ago, c00face said:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4230397-nvidias-stock-may-fall

A correlation between nVidia stock prices and GPU prices. As long as nVidia stock prices remain in a consolidation period (which it is), prices for GPU will remain the same and hardly be affected. The plunge in the nVidia stock prices in July 2018 was the reason you see GPU prices started to tank. 1080 TI from $1,000 to $500. Looking at the stock prices now, it doesn't seem to be the case this year so you'll probably end up waiting a long time for those RTX 2080 to drop significantly in price. Key word here, significantly.

The prices of GPUs and stock in Nvidia both dropped back then because the mining craze ended. Prices for GPUs and stock for both Nvidia and AMD were high because of the mining craze and the demand for GPUs, so when the mining craze finally ended so did the high price for GPUs. Company stock prices don't determine what the companies sell their products for, the only reason the 10 series cards got to the high prices they were at was the demand for them and everyone buying them up the second they came back in stock, so third party resellers like Amazon and Newegg and local marketplace users were buying cheap and selling high, the MSRP for the FE 1080ti was $750 Nvidia always sold it at that price but other resellers were selling it at $1200 plus because it was out of stock from Nvidia. The 20 series cards aren't pricey because of Nvidias stock they're pricey because Nvidia raised the retail MSRP of the cards due to more features like RTX and what not.

3 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

The prices of GPUs and stock in Nvidia both dropped back then because the mining craze ended. Prices for GPUs and stock for both Nvidia and AMD were high because of the mining craze and the demand for GPUs, so when the mining craze finally ended so did the high price for GPUs. Company stock prices don't determine what the companies sell their products for, the only reason the 10 series cards got to the high prices they were at was the demand for them and everyone buying them up the second they came back in stock, so third party resellers like Amazon and Newegg and local marketplace users were buying cheap and selling high, the MSRP for the FE 1080ti was $750 Nvidia always sold it at that price but other resellers were selling it at $1200 plus because it was out of stock from Nvidia. The 20 series cards aren't pricey because of Nvidias stock they're pricey because Nvidia raised the retail MSRP of the cards due to more features like RTX and what not.

No, this is wrong.

Company stock prices does determine and does have a factor in prices of the their products.

News, events, does not change the over all trend of a market. It may have spikes of up and downs, but to claim the prices of GPU dropped because of "craze mining," is wrong. I invest and I trade for a living so I better know this stuff more than the average person. You can take my opinion for it or not, that's up to you. But I disagree with your opinion strongly.

3 minutes ago, c00face said:

No, this is wrong.

Company stock prices does determine and does have a factor in prices of the their products.

News, events, does not change the over all trend of a market. It may have spikes of up and downs, but to claim the prices of GPU dropped because of "craze mining," is wrong. I invest and I trade for a living so I better know this stuff more than the average person. You can take my opinion for it or not, that's up to you. But I disagree with your opinion strongly.

Lmao look up the mining craze, that's exactly why the prices of 10 series GPUs back then were what they were.

I am personally waiting as well.

Now is not a good time to buy, even though some of the deals are looking really good.

Fact is, if the Super cards are legit, they will drive down the price of the vanilla cards.

Also factor in that if Navi performs as well as AMD is saying it will, then that will also impact pricing.

2 hours ago, Djinnux said:

Im less waiting for a price drop and more waiting for an 8 gig 2060 …  

I think that's really going be the biggest seller. It could potentially render the RTX 2070 pointless.

Desktop:

AMD Ryzen 7 @ 3.9ghz 1.35v w/ Noctua NH-D15 SE AM4 Edition

ASUS STRIX X370-F GAMING Motherboard

ASUS STRIX Radeon RX 5700XT

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 3200

Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVME

2x4TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs

Corsair RM850X

Be Quiet Silent Base 800

Elgato HD60 Pro

Sceptre C305B-200UN Ultra Wide 2560x1080 200hz Monitor

Logitech G910 Orion Spectrum Keyboard

Logitech G903 Mouse

Oculus Rift CV1 w/ 3 Sensors + Earphones

Laptop:

Acer Nitro 5:

Intel Core I5-8300H

Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2x 8GB) DDR4 2666

Geforce GTX 1050ti 4GB

Intel 600p 256GB NVME

Seagate Firecuda 2TB SSHD

Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum

According to this article from 5 days ago (among other sources), nVidia may announce these new GPUs on Friday.  I would wait personally.

https://www.game-debate.com/news/27254/rumour-nvidia-to-reveal-geforce-rtx-20-super-series-on-june-21-includes-rtx-2080-ti-super

And I don't know where everyone is getting this $50 rumor from.  Every rumor I've heard has the price being cut by at least $100.  This article is speculating the new GPU chart to look as follows:

• GeForce RTX 2060 - ~$299
  • GeForce RTX 2070 - $400-449
  • GeForce RTX 2060 Super -$449
  • GeForce RTX 2080 - $500-549
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Super - $499
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Ti Super - $599
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - $799-$999
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Super - $799
  • GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Super - $1199

With the 2070 Super GPU using the current 2080 GPU. We might see the current cards phased out for the Super iterations. 

From https://www.techradar.com/news/nvidia-super-rtx-cards-may-launch-in-july-to-keep-high-end-lead-on-amd

• Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti Super – new GPU
  • Nvidia RTX 2080 Super – RTX 2080 Ti GPU
  • Nvidia RTX 2070 Ti Super – new GPU
  • Nvidia RTX 2070 Super – RTX 2080 GPU
  • Nvidia RTX 2060 Super – RTX 2070 GPU

In this article they also mention word of a June 21st reveal date.

5 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Where were you hearing $50?  All articles I've seen on Super have been mentioning the 2080 falling to somewhere between $500-600. I'm assuming that is for the FE card which right now retails for $699.