Can Oculus Rift be sideloaded?

steelo

May be a stupid question, but my boss has an Oculus Quest that he says he 'sideloaded' to run at a higher resolution than the factory settings and he says it looks incredible. Is at all this possible with the Rift?

Due to the subpixel fidelity on the quest, he might have assumed he did something special to trick it into a higher resolution when he really just has it running like normal. It does actually look excellent at full quality, better than the Vive, but there are only so many physical pixels available.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

4 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Due to the subpixel fidelity on the quest, he might have assumed he did something special to trick it into a higher resolution when he really just has it running like normal. It does actually look excellent at full quality, better than the Vive, but there are only so many physical pixels available.

The only thing I can find for the Rift (assuming my graphics card can handle it) is to download the debug tool and increase the pixel density from between 1.0 to 2.0. My boss was saying that the software he side loaded actually allowed him to change the resolution, maybe some trickery in the software?

10 minutes ago, steelo said:

May be a stupid question, but my boss has an Oculus Quest that he says he 'sideloaded' to run at a higher resolution than the factory settings and he says it looks incredible. Is at all this possible with the Rift?

What he is referring to is higher quality textures or "Game resolution" on the quest. 

Since the quest is essentially running on a beefed up phone GPU, most games are running at much lower quality to hit the 80hz cap on the quest. If you're okay with lower framerates on it then yes you can sideload different versions of apps. 

**ALSO SCALING UP TO THE PANEL RES**

Since the Rift S (Updated PC rift headset) has about the same same resolution as the quest (Slightly lower), you would be seeing the same level of detail with your game at mid-high settings as he is with the sideloaded version, but you will see higher framerates. 

If you're talking about the first gen rift (CV1), you're stuck with the 1080x1200 resolution per eye, with quality increase options being the same as the rift S. 

For comparison:

Quest res per eye: 1,440 x 1,600 @ 72Hz

Rift S res per eye: 1,200 x 1,440 @ 80Hz

Rift CV1 res per eye: 1080 x 1200 @ 90 Hz

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

39 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

What he is referring to is higher quality textures or "Game resolution" on the quest. 

Since the quest is essentially running on a beefed up phone GPU, most games are running at much lower quality to hit the 80hz cap on the quest. If you're okay with lower framerates on it then yes you can sideload different versions of apps. 

**ALSO SCALING UP TO THE PANEL RES**

Since the Rift S (Updated PC rift headset) has about the same same resolution as the quest (Slightly lower), you would be seeing the same level of detail with your game at mid-high settings as he is with the sideloaded version, but you will see higher framerates. 

If you're talking about the first gen rift (CV1), you're stuck with the 1080x1200 resolution per eye, with quality increase options being the same as the rift S. 

For comparison:

Quest res per eye: 1,440 x 1,600 @ 72Hz

Rift S res per eye: 1,200 x 1,440 @ 80Hz

Rift CV1 res per eye: 1080 x 1200 @ 90 Hz

Thanks, I do have the 1st gen Rift CV so I might play around with the pixel density a bit. I'm also running it with a slightly overclocked RX 570 4 gb, so I'm not expecting much headroom for increasing the settings. I've played a few fast moving games where I've felt extremely uncomfortable (almost sick) I think because it couldn't maintain 90 fps at medium to high settings. That's why I stick to relatively modest games like ST bridge crew, brass tactics and superhot. Low to medium settings seem to be the sweet spot.

It's amazing that an ARM processor can even run VR software, but from what you explained it sounds like the detail and frame rates are reduced for the higher resolution.

Check this vid, maybe he meant that?

AMD 5900x, 2x16GB ( G.skill F4-3600C16 ), Radeon VII, Radeon 570,  Corsair 1200i , SSD 240/500GB, HDD 640GB,1TB,5TB, 1TB NVME. Lian li 011Dyanmic XL, big ass LTT mouse-pad & stealth water bottle