DT990 vs DT880 for Gaming/Music

MontBlanco

After owning the ATH AD700 for around 6 months, I felt the bass on these are just not powerful enough and was looking for another pair with almost similar soundstage but has a lot of bass for my personal music taste and games. I was reading quite a lot of forums about which headphones and the one that attracts me the most and read quite a lot of is the DT880.

But after many reviews were watched and read the DT880 is said to be more neutral than the DT990. Since many people said the DT990 has a more powerful bass and a huge soundstage, the DT990 might just  be the right pair for me.

Let me hear what you guys think which ones to get if I'm wrong. The music I mainly listens to is Dubstep, Hip-Hop, and Techno. and the games that I mostly played are AAA titles so a lot of bass will be great on those and might just make the game more fun.

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms (Premium)

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 Ohms (Pro)

Beyerdynamic DT990 250 Ohms (Premium)

I will be getting an Essence STX to power it.

the price difference is pretty big. 

hard to compare. I would say 990's, becuase of the price.

"Probably Because I'm A Dangerous Sociopath With A Long History Of Violence"

Using the DT990 Pro 250ohm myself and really enjoy them. Much more bass than my PC360's had. They seem to be strong on the bass and highs. My only complaint is at high volume if you have a lot of highs it can be somewhat fatiguing on the ears.

You should watch and listen to Logan's review of the DT 880 (premium and pro)

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

I'd get the DT 990 Pro, they have a good sound stage and also have good controlled bass.

Quote me to get a reply!

Isn't the premium the one with 600ohms?

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

You can get the Premium in 32, 250, or 600 ohms.

You should watch and listen to Logan's review of the DT 880 (premium and pro)

Yeah I've watched it but his review was more into the music while I was searching for ones that are more suitable for gaming, like greater soundstage. Thx though!

The premium one comes in 3 types: 32 Ohms, 250, and 600. I think the 600 is just too hard to power and you really need to move to tube amp.

Yeah I've watched it but his review was more into the music while I was searching for ones that are more suitable for gaming, like greater soundstage. Thx though!

The premium one comes in 3 types: 32 Ohms, 250, and 600. I think the 600 is just too hard to power and you really need to move to tube amp.

Ahh I see...just watched it 1 hour ago forgot to check the actually website...-_- get the 250ohm model at most unless you have an audio dac that is pretty good.

go with the 990's, they are open so you will have a better experience with positional audio, and make sure to get the DT 990 Pro's

Any way to convince you not to do that?

I would be getting it for the surround functionality and the built in amp should also help drive the cans.

I would not buy a sound card for its surround functionality its just a gimmic really. For most games you will get a better experience out of stereo mode. The open ear headphones are going to help out a lot in the surround feel. I would look into usb dacs, after reading on here I dropped my STX for a O2+ODAC from Mayflower Electronics and don't regret it, it really does sound fantastic. If you are worried about surround sound give the video link below a try and just use regular stereo headphones, it must be headphones for it to work properly.

I would not buy a sound card for its surround functionality its just a gimmic really. For most games you will get a better experience out of stereo mode. The open ear headphones are going to help out a lot in the surround feel. I would look into usb dacs, after reading on here I dropped my STX for a O2+ODAC from Mayflower Electronics and don't regret it, it really does sound fantastic. If you are worried about surround sound give the video link below a try and just use regular stereo headphones, it must be headphones for it to work properly.

I was going with the sound card route for the surround/gaming capabilities but since you really speaks from experience, I might just go into the DAC/AMP route. 

So is it just better to get a DAC/AMP and the software would mimic the surround features a soundcard will offer?

Yep.

Dt 990 is fitting your music taste really good for fun gaming they are also good.

The Buildquality is so damn awsome ,oh and its so freaking comfortable.

But I personally cant play competetive games with it its just too much base.

Using the AD 700X's at the moment ^^ ,love them but i understand why you cant listen to music with them.

Had the DT 990's Premium and they will definetly be an upgrade in your type of genres.

- Intel i7 3770|Noctua NH-D14 -Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H -8GB Corsair Vengeance LP DDR3 -Evga Sc Signature 2 GTX 680 -Fractal Define R4 -2TB WD Black Caviar -120GB Samsung 840 Pro -Cosair TX 650Watt -Benq XL2420T -CM Storm Quickfire TK -Zowie Ec1 Evo -Fiio E10 -

Audio Technica Ath-AD700x

So is it just better to get a DAC/AMP and the software would mimic the surround features a soundcard will offer?

Or better yet, what motherboard do you have? some have onboard amps for high impedance headphones, so you won't really have to spend more money on a dac/amp.

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50           

Or better yet, what motherboard do you have? some have onboard amps for high impedance headphones, so you won't really have to spend more money on a dac/amp.

I have a z77 Sabertooth with an ALC892 in it. I don't think its great compared to a maximus formula with SupremeFx or some Gigabyte board with Creative Sound core

DT 880 sound boring imo

DT 990 is tiring due to bright highs

both of them doesn't sound as good as the 600 ohm version compared to 250 and 32 ohm.

i suggest you look at Philips Fidelio X1 instead as it has a very good and deep bass while it is not tiring at all due to neutral sound signature.

they are also very comfortable and people even compare it to same league as HD800 and Audio Technica AH-D2000 which cost $800+ in terms of sound quality (look into head-fi).

if you are really on a tight budget, i suggest you also look at HD598.

HD 600 and HD 650 is also a very good option.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

"hijacks"

I was looking to the DT880´s as well but was unsure if i should get them. My V-moda LP´s is still going strong but i want to keep them on the go and have something different stationary with my PC.
Reason i´m interested in the 880´s is because i want something not Bass Heavy, and Logan said they are "OK on the bass" but not Dub-step/hip hop Bassy which is GREAT!! because i don't listen to either of those two.
This guy was convinsing 

There is always the V-Moda M100´s for slightly more but ...yeah i don't need another pair of Panzer portable Cans also the price is probably due to the durability and not the sound quality.

The Philips Fidelio X1 has a nice price but i don´t like the Headband. reminds me of Siberia v.2´s and ...yeah im worried it will snap one day.

Then there is those Headphones from Mayflower. Looks like Tanks but i cant seem to find any proper info on the sound side.

Maybe i should just Yolo and buy a Sennheiser HD 800 :D....yeah no... but which one is "similar" ?

I have a z77 Sabertooth with an ALC892 in it. I don't think its great compared to a maximus formula with SupremeFx or some Gigabyte board with Creative Sound core

it would seem I forgot to answer.. whoops. Anyway, that Sabertooth board does not have a powerful headphone amp, so some form of amplification is needed. Then you could have a look at the FiiO E10, it's a great value. 

Reviews: JBL J33i   M50s   SRH440   Soundmagic PL50