Amd Makes A Breakthrough In Improving Frame Latency

Jozi

AMD has been criticized by some tech publications over Radeon HD 7000 series posing higher frame-latency over NVIDIA GeForce chips, even in cases where AMD's chips offer higher frame-rates. "Frame latency" or "frame time" was purported as a metric of the same importance as frame-rates, in graphics card reviews. Various essentially identical methods were used to show that AMD Radeon GPUs yield higher frame latency (time taken for frames drawn by the GPU to make it to the display) than NVIDIA GeForce ones, even in cases where AMD's chips offer higher frame-rates. AMD has apparently made a significant breakthrough in improving frame latency.

In January, AMD made its first official response to early tests that showed Radeon GPUs to pose higher frame latency. In its defense, AMD stated that frame-latency issues are not a hardware design flaw, and can be ironed out by optimizing drivers to the redesigned memory controllers on GPUs based on its Graphics CoreNext architecture. Sources told us that AMD is ready with its first prototype drivers that fix frame latency issues. These drivers are pre-alpha, and are made available to select industry partners, with an adequate level of competence and expertise, since a week now. After AMD takes feedback from these partners, the company will begin rolling out the first beta drivers, followed by WHQL-signed ones.

http://www.techpowerup.com/183129/AMD-Makes-a-Breakthrough-in-Improving-Frame-Latency.html

Intel i5 3570k | MSI GTX 670 Power Edition/OC SLI | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB | Fractal Design Newton R2 650W | NZXT Switch 810 SE Gun Metal | BenQ 24" XL2420T 120Hz | Corsair K90  | Logitech G500 / Logtitech Performance MX | Sennheiser PC 360 | Asus Xonar DGX | NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision 2 Wireless Kit

Awesome!

AMD is doing a really great job at improving the gaming experience. Proud to be the owner of an AMD graphics card.

CPU: Intel i7 4790k Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB 2400MHz: GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 780 Ti's with ACX cooling PSU: Corsair AX1200 Watt Gold SSD: SanDisk Extreme 120GB SSD (Operating System) SSD: Mushkin Chronos 240GB (Games) Sound card: Creative Sound Blaster ZxR HDD: Seagate 3TB External OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Mouse: Logitech G502 Gaming mouse Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K60 MX Red switches Monitor: ASUS VG248QE 144Hz

yep,amd now is great.

I had a gtx680 but I was having alot of problems with fluidity in BF3 even with good fps then i changed for the  asus HD7970 and is another league,the BF3 is fluid like never before.

But I had to return the asus 7970 direct cu TOP because was voltage locked,now I will wait too see if amd counter the gtx 700 series with the HD8000.

It's crucially important to state that the frame latency issue is only relevant and prominent with multi GPU setups namely crossfire & SLI, both have frame latency issues although crossfire has it worse.
With a single GPU card like the 7970 or the 680, the frames drawn by the graphics cards (fraps method) equal the frames displayed by the screen (perceived) and there is no disparity between the actual performance of the card & what the user sees.

It's crucially important to state that the frame latency issue is only relevant and prominent with multi GPU setups namely crossfire & SLI, both have frame latency issues although crossfire has it worse.

With a single GPU card like the 7970 or the 680, the frames drawn by the graphics cards (fraps method) equal the frames displayed by the screen (perceived) and there is no disparity between the actual performance of the card & what the user sees.

very true. nvidia has a new beta for sli profiles. 660 supposedly gets 15%% better fps across the board, hopefully that translates to my 660ti's, because i can't do ultra in hawken without going below 40 :(

edit: so even sli has it's issues, but adaptive vsync kinda destroys them :P

very true. nvidia has a new beta for sli profiles. 660 supposedly gets 15%% better fps across the board, hopefully that translates to my 660ti's, because i can't do ultra in hawken without going below 40 :(

edit: so even sli has it's issues, but adaptive vsync kinda destroys them :P

RadeonPro's Dynamic V-Sync also resolves the frame latency issue on Crossfire setups.

I am very excited for this, I really hope it improves my experience with my wonderful HD6990...

The first step to insanity is believing in your sanity.

RadeonPro's Dynamic V-Sync also resolves the frame latency issue on Crossfire setups.

But it gives a lot more input latency, so not really an option for some people. Also, Vsync does not work in eyefinity!