Need help with AV receiver and PC problem

tasgamer
Go to solution Solved by mr moose,

Connect your second monitor straight to your GPU (use an adapter if necessary), then in Display settings tel it to mirror your desktop rather than extend. 

In sound settings make the HDMI that goes through your receive the default sound device for everything.

Then it won;t matter which tv/monitor you have on/off you'll see the same on both.

I have a problem with connecting my PC to my  AV receiver.
My PC is  first connected to my AV recover and then my monitor via 2 HDMI cables from my GPU. 
The AV receiver is connected to the same monitor on a a different HDMI input on my monitor as well as my TV as the AV receiver has 2 HDMI outputs.  
Everything works fine if I have both my TV and my monitor on the same time.  A problem occurs when I just want to use my monitor if i turn my TV off I can't see anything on my monitor except for the wallpaper without any icons or anything its like its on another screen that doesn't exist. 
I hope someone can understand what i'm saying here and can offer some assistance.

ok...comp to av to tv AND monitor?
or comp to av then comp to tv and monitor?...
what av?
for the tv and monitor are you running as cloned?

Connect your second monitor straight to your GPU (use an adapter if necessary), then in Display settings tel it to mirror your desktop rather than extend. 

In sound settings make the HDMI that goes through your receive the default sound device for everything.

Then it won;t matter which tv/monitor you have on/off you'll see the same on both.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

10 hours ago, circeseye said:

ok...comp to av to tv AND monitor?
or comp to av then comp to tv and monitor?...
what av?
for the tv and monitor are you running as cloned?

Thanks for your reply

My AV reciver is a Yamaha RX-V781

The setup is like this:

comp to AV and Monitor(HDMI 1).  then  AV to TV and Monitor(HDMI 2) as the AV reciever has 2 HDMI outputs.  I've tried cloning but the problem is that in the display settings i have a listing of two displays SONY TV and BENQ,  if i turn the TV off it changes from SONY TV to Yamaha Corporation this somehow effects what the monitor is displaying. 

I suspect its because technically I have my monitor connected to my comp twice once directly to my GPU and second to the AV receiver. which is connected to connected to my monitor as well.

15 hours ago, mr moose said:

Thanks for your reply

I said in an earlier post today that cloning the display didn't work.  However I thought longer about what you said about cloning the display.  As I said when I have both my TV and my monitor on everything works fine and that's how I want it. My problem happened when I turned off my TV, the TV no longer appears in my display list and is replaced with Yamaha corporation as a "display".  So this what I did i made my monitor the main and cloned it with Yamaha "display" using the monitor as the source and it's now working as it should:)