good cheap big ssds for data storage?

Windows95
8 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

OP is talking about buying a Ryzen 9 3900X CPU, so the board will most likely have multiple M.2 slots that are bootable and support PCIe/NVMe.

Good point. I missed that.

Jeannie

As long as anyone is oppressed, no one will be safe and free.

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1 for boot. Or su800. Doesn't really matter for your purposes.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/7MQG3C/intel-660p-series-2tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw020t8x1 again the 660p for data storage. Or su800. Again doesn't matter but if you want to load a lot of files the NVMe can help.

Also i have to mention that all Samsung SSDs are overpriced except the 860/970 pro, which are MLC but those drives are so niche that if you need them for your purposes you probably wouldn't be or see people asking if they're a good option or not on this forum

14 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

...Also i have to mention that all Samsung SSDs are overpriced except the 860/970 pro...

You get what you pay for. I've had excellent results with Sammys and I don't mind paying for the added reliability (even if means a few months of eating only mustard sandwiches...without the bread).

14 hours ago, hello_there_123 said:

...860/970 pro, which are MLC but those drives are so niche that if you need them for your purposes you probably wouldn't be or see people asking if they're a good option or not on this forum

I normally recommend the EVOs for most people because they will outgrow them before they wear them out. For people who will be doing massive amounts of writing, I recommend the Pros. I prefer the Pros for the drives in my computer but feel the EVOS are just fine for my backup drives.

Jeannie

One has to be proactive, not reactive, to ensure the safety of one's data so backup your data! And RAID is NOT a backup!

4 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

You get what you pay for. I've had excellent results with Sammys and I don't mind paying for the added reliability (even if means a few months of eating only mustard sandwiches...without the bread).

What's to say you won't get excellent results with other drives? What's to say other drives aren't as reliable? Anecdotal evidence is never valid, especially because you haven't had the other drives to compare to (I'm guessing, otherwise you probably would've mentioned having them). 

7 minutes ago, Lady Fitzgerald said:

I normally recommend the EVOs for most people because they will outgrow them before they wear them out. For people who will be doing massive amounts of writing, I recommend the Pros. I prefer the Pros for the drives in my computer but feel the EVOS are just fine for my backup drives.

Why is the outgrowing specific to the EVO? The sx8200 pro does better in 4k read/write which is what matters to most consumers. And I feel that the massive writing is massive, like only fit for the purposes of a data scientists or something.

1 hour ago, hello_there_123 said:

What's to say you won't get excellent results with other drives? What's to say other drives aren't as reliable? Anecdotal evidence is never valid, especially because you haven't had the other drives to compare to (I'm guessing, otherwise you probably would've mentioned having them)...

I never said that. I just haven't had any actual experience with other drives. Anecdotal experience most certainly is valid, especially when you have as many as I do (around 40; I've lost track).

Even when I suggest the Crucial MX500 as a good budget drive, I specify that it has a good reputation since I do not have any actual experience with them myself.

...Why is the outgrowing specific to the EVO?...

Methinks you complete misunderstood me. I was referring to people moving on to larger and/or faster drives before they exhausted the warranteed TBWs of the EVOs. The Pros have almost double the warranteed TBWs. It would be silly to pay for far kore TBWs than you will ever use unless you just want the extra reliability the higher warranteed TBWs would suggest.

...The sx8200 pro does better in 4k read/write which is what matters to most consumers...

Spped is not the only criteria to judge an SSD by. There is also endurance, TBWs, reliability, warranty length (not mention the ease of making and settling a warranty claim), customer service, etc.

Also, I'm talking about SATA SSDs; the ADATA you linked is M.2 NVME. Of course that one is going to be faster.

Jeannie

...And I feel that the massive writing is massive, like only fit for the purposes of a data scientists or something.

Seriously? You have no idea how many writes someone who processes raw photo and video files, does video and other rendering, etc.? 

Jeannie

On 6/8/2019 at 3:52 PM, Sakkura said:

It's a good SATA SSD, but the Intel 660p is cheaper and better.

how can something be cheaper and better? specially coming from intel

19 minutes ago, Windows95 said:

how can something be cheaper and better? specially coming from intel

It's an NVMe drive, which allows for better performance than SATA. By now it doesn't really cost more to make a mainstream NVMe SSD like the Intel 660p, and Intel is using cutting-edge QLC NAND that is very cheap to make.

It's still a little surprising how cheap the 660p is compared to the rest of the market, but I'm certainly not going to complain about it.

so whats the conclusion for this? which one i buy