Condenser Mic is Too Quiet

Go to solution Solved by TheKDub,
31 minutes ago, MaxVu said:

problem
My condenser mic is way too quiet. The mic I have AT2020 Audio Technica (here's a link). I'm currently using a 48V Phantom Power(here's a link) connected to an input XLR cord that goes to my AT2020. The output XLR cord is a converter that converts into a 3.5mm(bought this in person so no link) that goes into a separate 2 line in USB piece(here's a link).

troubleshooting
- Using the sound window, I turned up the mic volume and volume boost isn't appearing.
- I tried unplugging everything in different patterns and plugging them back in.
- Making a loud noise before I talk normally.
- Downloading this software called Equalizer that provides a virtual interface.

Nothing works. I'm very sad as I don't get a lot of money to spend, so spending this much money for my Twitch stream, is kinda annoying. I just want this to work so I can stream properly.
If anyone actually reads this, and feel it in their heart to provide a suggest please nothing crazy like some $200 cord or something like that. Please.

Thanks for reading.

There are a few things that would be helpful to know..

- How far away from the microphone are you when using it? I'd be sure to keep it within an arms reach for best results, and as close to being in front of you as possible.

- Which side of the microphone is facing you? The side with the Audio Technica logo on the band below the mesh section should be facing you.

So you've got the AT2020 connected to the 48v Phantom Power box, then going to your computer through an XLR to 3.5mm cable. Generally, I would not recommend this setup due to the lack of external control for EQ, Gain, Balance, etc... I have a feeling that the lack of an actual XLR interface with Gain control at a minimum is the biggest issue here. Unfortunately there isn't much of a way to fix this other than to get a Preamp or XLR Interface with Gain control, that way you can bring the Mic line up to the appropriate level.

Here's a Behringer XLR Interface. It's by no means high end, however it should be able to solve your problems. It can supply 48v Phantom Power as well, so your Neewer box would no longer be needed. https://amzn.to/2IopnrG ($38.99 USD at the time of posting this.) This connects to your PC via USB, or if you prefer, you can use the RCA connections with a 3.5mm adapter, then connect that. (I'd suggest going with USB personally.)

Or if you're willing to save up some money for a higher quality unit, this Focusrite Scarlett Solo is quite popular, reasonably affordable (for audio equipment), and works well. https://amzn.to/2WudU3B ($91.01 USD as of posting.) This also has the same connectivity to your computer, and also provides 48v Phantom Power.

problem
My condenser mic is way too quiet. The mic I have AT2020 Audio Technica (here's a link). I'm currently using a 48V Phantom Power(here's a link) connected to an input XLR cord that goes to my AT2020. The output XLR cord is a converter that converts into a 3.5mm(bought this in person so no link) that goes into a separate 2 line in USB piece(here's a link).

troubleshooting
- Using the sound window, I turned up the mic volume and volume boost isn't appearing.
- I tried unplugging everything in different patterns and plugging them back in.

Nothing works. I'm very sad as I don't get a lot of money to spend, so spending this much money for my Twitch stream, is kinda annoying. I just want this to work so I can stream properly.
If anyone actually reads this, and feel it in their heart to provide a suggest please nothing crazy like some $200 cord or something like that. Please.

Thanks for reading.

On the sound page look for "Sound Control Panel" on the right. That should give you lower level access and allow you to add mic boost

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

You can't use an XLR to 3.5mm adapter.

You need to get a proper audio interface that connects over USB, like a scarlett solo or a cheap behringer one.

If you didn't want to buy an audio interface you should have done your research and bought the AT2020USB.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

31 minutes ago, MaxVu said:

problem

troubleshooting

Thanks for reading.

- How far away from the microphone are you when using it? I'd be sure to keep it within an arms reach for best results, and as close to being in front of you as possible.

- Which side of the microphone is facing you? The side with the Audio Technica logo on the band below the mesh section should be facing you.

So you've got the AT2020 connected to the 48v Phantom Power box, then going to your computer through an XLR to 3.5mm cable. Generally, I would not recommend this setup due to the lack of external control for EQ, Gain, Balance, etc... I have a feeling that the lack of an actual XLR interface with Gain control at a minimum is the biggest issue here. Unfortunately there isn't much of a way to fix this other than to get a Preamp or XLR Interface with Gain control, that way you can bring the Mic line up to the appropriate level.

Here's a Behringer XLR Interface. It's by no means high end, however it should be able to solve your problems. It can supply 48v Phantom Power as well, so your Neewer box would no longer be needed. https://amzn.to/2IopnrG ($38.99 USD at the time of posting this.) This connects to your PC via USB, or if you prefer, you can use the RCA connections with a 3.5mm adapter, then connect that. (I'd suggest going with USB personally.)

Or if you're willing to save up some money for a higher quality unit, this Focusrite Scarlett Solo is quite popular, reasonably affordable (for audio equipment), and works well. https://amzn.to/2WudU3B ($91.01 USD as of posting.) This also has the same connectivity to your computer, and also provides 48v Phantom Power.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

It can be touch and go plugging phantom powered units into unbalanced inputs.  Lucky you didn't blow anything up.

I think the cheapest option for you is a little behringer mixer with one Balanced (XLR) input and phono outs for left and right (or use the headphone out).  This will convert your balanced mic signal to unbalanced and ensure your input device has enough signal.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcQp6MWVis_3Hc4intMpq

You'll still need the phantom supply unit as this mixer doesn't have a phantom supply.  If this doesn't work then your mic is stuffed or your sound dongle is crap.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

14 hours ago, TheKDub said:

Thank you so much. You provided the best answer in my opinion, so thank you. I'm going to buy the Behringer one you linked in your comment. Ty. I'll update the thread of my results in the upcoming weeks.

• 1 year later...

I'm really thankful for this thread. I've got almost the exact setup as OP. I have;

- Audio Technica ATH2035
-And I'm using a neweer (crap I know) phantom 48v pre-amp
- Going to PC directly via 3.5mm

I bought this;

https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=35_766_968&item_id=102082

I think it should solve my quiet mic.