Intel i9-9900k GHz dropping while gaming?

I have my i9-9900k OC'd to 5.00GHz. I have noticed while using HWmonitor and looking at my task manager performance that while gaming I will go from 4.99 GHz while idling to 4.80-4.85GHz under load/while gaming. All my temps are completely fine, CPU in the 50s, motherboard at 27c, GPU at 50c. My voltage is around 1.32V for the processor. And just to list off other specs-- I have a ASUS Z390-p (I know it's not the best), RTYX 2080-TI, and 32 gigs of 3000MHz of adata ram. 

Not entirely sure why I am getting these drops in GHz since everything I have read and did research on points to throttling due to temps. I have run XTU stress tests and benchmarks, even did Prime95 for about a half hour and nothing. I would like to mention that XTU even alerts you when there is thermal throttling, which, I used to get, until I turned the voltage down. Could this be a setting in the BIOS I need to change to stop the dropping in GHz? 

Thanks in advance! If I need to post this in a different topic forum let me know! I am new to OCing and LTT so I apologize if this is in the wrong area. 

In what game are you getting those drops?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

Just now, PopsicleHustler said:

Elder Scrolls online-- I will boot up some other games right now and let you know if I get drops. Because during the XTU stress test it stays consistently at 5.00GHz, but when I benchmark it it fluctuates wildly. I will get back to you within 5 minutes. Thanks!

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

After booting up Plague: A tale of innocence, and GTA V-- I am seeing drops, not as big as ESO but still droping to about 4.88GHz

7 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

After booting up Plague: A tale of innocence, and GTA V-- I am seeing drops, not as big as ESO but still droping to about 4.88GHz

Do you have proper settings for maintaining stable overclock? Set voltage, LLC, core multiplier set to x50? Whats your AVX offset?

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

I have set my voltage in the XTU intel tuning program which currently says my core voltage is 1.318V and I have an offset -0.110. All core multipliers set to 50x and my AVX offset is 2. 

Just now, iamelloyello said:

I have set my voltage in the XTU intel tuning program which currently says my core voltage is 1.318V and I have an offset -0.110. All core multipliers set to 50x and my AVX offset is 2. 

Why don't you use motherboard Bios for overclocking?

Anyway, try leaving Negative AVX at 0 and see if you still get drops.

I am such a novice at this that I am terrified of messing something up-- the XTU seemed like the most simple way of doing anything. I will give it a shot and reply within 5 minutes! Thank you! Also, I have literally every setting set to "high performance" mode. Battery setting, Nvidia, and even in the BIOS I have set to high performance mode. I don't know if that would cause it- but like I said I get NO throttling of any kind. 

I will change AVX and be back with you in a minute! 

6 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Yes that seemed to fix it-- now the issue is my voltages are insane. Spiking to 1.5V 

8 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I offset by about -0.150V and while I am sitting at 1.299V idle, during the benchmark I would get random spikes up to 1.560V and huge temp spikes. Any idea of how to fix this?

3 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

Yes that seemed to fix it-- now the issue is my voltages are insane. Spiking to 1.5V 

You have to set manual voltage/LLC and Core Ratio multiplier in Bios. I don't trust outside software to control any overclocking settings. 

If you don't want to do that, try setting CPU core  voltage in XTU if possible. No offsets, no Autos, just enter a number and test it. In your case, you should set it to around 1.32v to have CPU stable.

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

You have to set manual voltage/LLC and Core Ratio multiplier in Bios. I don't trust outside software to control any overclocking settings. 

If you don't want to do that, try setting CPU core  voltage in XTU if possible. No offsets, no Autos, just enter a number and test it. In your case, you should set it to around 1.32v to have CPU stable.

Well here is the thing. When in my BIOS it says my Core voltage is 1.021. but when in HWmonitor/XTU it is saying 1.32(ish) so I am not entirely sure which one to believe. There is no way I could be running at 5.00GHz and have it stable at 1.021V which is why I am wary to believe the BIOS. 

22 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

Well here is the thing. When in my BIOS it says my Core voltage is 1.021. but when in HWmonitor/XTU it is saying 1.32(ish) so I am not entirely sure which one to believe. There is no way I could be running at 5.00GHz and have it stable at 1.021V which is why I am wary to believe the BIOS. 

Because Bios settings weren't changed, so its reporting default values. XTU will apply its overclock when you start your PC.

2 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Because Bios settings weren't changed, so its reporting default values. XTU will apply its overclock when you start your PC.

Yeah set it to 1.320V in BIOS. Now XTU crashes my comp whenever I try and run a benchmark. Also saying my voltages are super low at 1.265 after getting rid of the offset I applied through the program.

3 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

Yeah set it to 1.320V in BIOS. Now XTU crashes my comp whenever I try and run a benchmark. Also saying my voltages are super low at 1.265 after getting rid of the offset I applied through the program.

Forget XTU. Uninstall it, burn it with fire and throw off a bridge. In BIOS, set  1.32V Core voltage, x50 core ration, LLC in mid or one level below middle ground and ACX -2. Get HWMonitor and Prime95 or AIDA64 or even Cinebench for stress test.

If test crashes your system, up the voltage by 0.01V increments.

16 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

Forget XTU. Uninstall it, burn it with fire and throw off a bridge. In BIOS, set  1.32V Core voltage, x50 core ration, LLC in mid or one level below middle ground and ACX -2. Get HWMonitor and Prime95 or AIDA64 or even Cinebench for stress test.

hahaha I will do that. Just since I am such a novice. What is LLC? 

30 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I manually OC'd-- reset BIOS to defaults. followed a guide online and my GHz is back to dropping again under load >__> but it seems stable. at 1.32V AVX set to 0, x50 core. ugh. 

21 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

hahaha I will do that. Just since I am such a novice. What is LLC? 

LLC - Line Load Calibration. This setting adjusts for voltage drops that occur when CPU hits high load.

11 minutes ago, iamelloyello said:

I manually OC'd-- reset BIOS to defaults. followed a guide online and my GHz is back to dropping again under load >__> but it seems stable. at 1.32V AVX set to 0, x50 core. ugh. 

I begin to suspect that your motherboard is unable to sustain stable high overclock on such high end CPU.

Are you using 1 or 2 connectors to power the CPU?

I am running i7-9700K (not overclocked yet) and I was still afraid I could fry something / get power throttling... seems to work great and max. consumption is about 110 W... and cables are supposed to deliver 150 W at max. I think?

i9-9900K OC definitely needs 2 connectors imo.