Not sure how to diag this

Chris Bryant

My kids knocked the old PC off the entertainment center. now, the cpu fan stays on full blast at all times, its slowly gotten worse over the last few months of just not wanting to function well. It starts up after a long time, barely wants to do anything once it gets past the log in screen. start Netflix or any program and it just takes 30 years to get to the next section. I have the entire case apart. my graphics obviously work, and it's onboard system. How can I figure out what I need to replace to get it working again? 

Intel i3-4130T Dual-Core processor 2.9 ghz

NVidia GForce GTX 750ti

16GB 1600hz ddr3 ram

500gb hdd

3V3TG Dell Alienware Alpha Intel Desktop Motherboard s1156

HDD is fucked. Buy a cheap 120GB SSD and throw it in. You might also want to check that the cooler is still mounted well, but that's just an extra precaution.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the cpu might be having an issue computing. fan is mounted fine but question there, is the fan messed up or is it reading some process that the cpu is too hot when it isn't?

1 minute ago, Chris Bryant said:

that's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if the cpu might be having an issue computing. fan is mounted fine but question there, is the fan messed up or is it reading some process that the cpu is too hot when it isn't?

Judging by the age, your thermal paste was probably dried, and the fall probably cracked it, causing it to lose good thermal contact.  

Remove the cooler, and replace the thermal paste.

Main Rig:

Case: Lian Li Lancool Mesh RGB

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 

Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid 240

MB: MSI B550 Gaming Pro Carbon 

Ram: Gskill DDR4 3600 x 32GB 

GPU: Asus Arez Strix Vega 64 OC

PS: Seasonic FOCUS Gold Plus Series SSR-750FX

SSD1: Crucial P1 1TB NVME

SSD2: Adata SU800 512gb M.2 Sata

HDD: Hitatchi 2tb 7200RPM + 3x 2TB WD Passport USB 3.0

Monitors: AOC C24G1

Keyboard: Cheap Blue Knockoff Mechanical

Mouse: Uhuru Gaming Mouse

Current Vintage Equipment:  Please ask me about it, I love to talk old tech!
IBM Thinkpad 390, IBM Aptiva A12, IBM PS/2 Model 25-004.  Compaq Contura 4/25C, Presario 7596
Asus P5A-B Socket 7 Box, Tandy 1000RLX-HD "B" & 1200-2FD, VIC20, Zenith ZFL-181-93, Packard Bell 300SX.

Apple II/gs, Mac Plus x2, Mac SE x2, Performa 450

24 minutes ago, zombienerd said:

Judging by the age, your thermal paste was probably dried, and the fall probably cracked it, causing it to lose good thermal contact.  

Remove the cooler, and replace the thermal paste.

Came here to say the same thing, the impact probably unseated the cooler ever so slightly which the fan running at 100% would be indicative of. The thermal throttling caused by the CPU overheating would also cause performance issues as well which also sounds like your issue.

Yeah, i'd say heatsink is loose or plastic holding heatsink broke.

CPU gets hot so fan spins fast but no/minimal contact between cpu and heatsink so cpu remains hot

• 2 weeks later...

I've removed and reapplied proper thermal paste, replaced to ssd, fan still running max and cpu temp says staying around ?47 c I think it was. my problem now though on the drive, how can I swap the OS/BIOs. won't start without it, but it only has one drive, so I can just send it over. tried taking old drive to another computer, but trustedinstaller won't let me copy the whole thing... I've already lost most of my hair, i'm about ready to scalp myself.

Edit: after a bit of time sitting powered on, fan functioning properly now. only issue still needing to port operating system