What kind of bottleneck will I get?

NTDaws

Hey there, at the moment I am running a GTX 1060 6GB. I am looking to upgrade to a RTX 2080. 

I am using 2 x Xeon X5670 and 48GB RAM.

I play all my games at 3840 x 2160.

What kind of bottleneck am I looking at?

Thanks.

The geek himself.

what board are you using becuase the biggest bottleneck may be all your bus speeds if it's something like an x8dthif or something like that

Assuming it's not already running at 8X due to silly motherboard designs.

If you want to do 4K gaming, you have to shoot higher than the 1080ti at the minimum. Since you have a dual CPU system, you probably have enough lanes to do two 2080's if you wanted to. That said, That CPU is only PCIe 2.0. 

While I don't advocate for updating for pointless reasons, I think 4K gaming on that might hit a CPU single-thread power wall before it hits a GPU performance wall, even at 2.0 16x. Which if that's the case, it's a 9 year old CPU, consider the slower memory speed as well.

The 1080ti, just squeaks by doing 4K with most common games. Considering the current meltdown/spectre/zombieload/etc exploits affecting intel cpu's, you may have even lost 25% of the cpu performance already since no patches are forthcoming for anything older than haswell.

The 2080, may be the lead card, but most of the "benefit" of the card is in the RT cores, so you may end up paying money for a feature that gets very little use.

I'm surprised by how sensible these recommendations are. usually I see people saying that old CPUs are useless and to get at least 5th gen i7 or some rubbish.

For 4K@60hz you should be fine. I have an 3770 equivalent Xeon and my Radeon VII is still the bottleneck in all games, but only at 4K.

I wouldn't worry about the CPU patches for Intel as they don't affect gaming anything like as much and rendering etc. this has been shown in benchmarks. Also older CPU don't actually have full mitigation anyway Intel never updated them.

What sort of games will you be playing? Some games need the CPU a lot more than others. Singlethred focused games are where you will have trouble as your CPUs have a decent number of cores but each is weak compared to modern CPUs.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

9 hours ago, Daniel Z. said:

At 4K, you should be fine, but those CPUs aren’t great.

Is there anything better for a CPU I could get for the HP Z600? 

The geek himself.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Is there anything better for a CPU I could get for the HP Z600

that kinda of seems like it's near the top end for that system without having to jump a few wires on the heat sinks to trick the system to allow higher end cpu's but it seems inconclusive if the system can actually run two 130w cpu's in it.

At 4K you should be fine.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 hour ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Is there anything better for a CPU I could get for the HP Z600? 

I don’t believe there’s anything significantly better.

19 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

What kind of bottleneck am I looking at?

Schrödinger's Bottleneck.

Either your CPU will bottleneck, or your GPU.

Which one will? Who knows. Depends on which Software (Game) you use, and which settings.#

@ CPU: Keep in Mind, as long your CPU delivers 60+ fps, your CPU does NOT bottleneck.

If your CPU delivered 60 fps in 1080p so far, it will deliver 60 fps in 4k. so no issue.

More than 60 fps makes no sense on a 60 Hz Monitor. ^^

What about like a 1070 TI or 1070. What kind of performance should I get there?

The geek himself.

5 hours ago, Dawson Wehage said:

What about like a 1070 TI or 1070. What kind of performance should I get there?

1070 and 1070 Ti aren’t great for 4K, and the 2060 and Vega 56 are better value.