No 4 pin with psu

Tristan n

Does anyone know how to make a 4pin from a 6pin connector without purchasing an adapter for it.

I bought a psu but it doesnt have a 4 pin cable which i need.

1 minute ago, Tristan n said:

Does anyone know how to make a 4pin from a 6pin connector without purchasing an adapter for it.

if you're talking about a 4 pin EPS for your CPU power.. your PSU will definitely have it.. just about all power supplies come in a 4+4 configuration, so it may already be put together and you may just have to separate the 2 halves to give you the 4 pin you need instead of 8 pin. The 6 pin is going to be PCI power, not EPS. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

first of what PSU is it?

second check if it has a 8pin connector that breaks up into 2 pieces 4+4.

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

12 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

What model PSU is it? Is the PSU modular or are the cables fixed to the unit?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hey 

It has a 4+4pin but my pc has an 8 pin needed for the motherboard and a 4 pin so what do i do??

The PSU is a gigabyte PB500W

Just now, Tristan n said:

Hey 

It has a 4+4pin but my pc has an 8 pin needed for the motherboard and a 4 pin so what do i do??

What motherboard, CPU, and PSU?
Normally the extra 4pin is optional. You can run just fine with only the 8pin (4+4) connector plugged in.

Most PSUs only come with a single 4+4 connector for the CPU, it's only really higher end/higher wattage PSUs that have more than one. If it's a modular PSU then you might be able to purchase an additional CPU cable for it, but as per above it most likely isn't necessary.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What model PSU is it? Is the PSU modular or are the cables fixed to the unit?

It has a bunch of cables out of it

What's your CPU? 

Quite often the extra 4 pin connector is just a gimmick

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

7 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

Hey 

You dont need to use the extra 4 pin. Its not required for you to run your system at full capacity and load. 

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

Everyone what has happened is his motherboard a Dell optiplex 9020, has a 4pin and a 8pin connector. And the 8 pin connecotr is used. Whereas the 4 pin is not. So are you saying that you can just remove one of the 4 pin of the cpu power and use it for the 4 pin?

Its an i7 4790, doing light gaming and no workstation stuff

No overclocking.

And its a gigbyte 500 watt 80 plus gold PSU

42 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

if you're talking about a 4 pin EPS for your CPU power.. your PSU will definitely have it.. just about all power supplies come in a 4+4 configuration, so it may already be put together and you may just have to separate the 2 halves to give you the 4 pin you need instead of 8 pin. The 6 pin is going to be PCI power, not EPS. 

he has the 4+4 pin for his cpu, its just his mobo needs a 4pin to work from what I know about it. A dell optipelx 9020

1 minute ago, TheNamesLigma said:

he has the 4+4 pin for his cpu, its just his mobo needs a 4pin to work from what I know about it. A dell optipelx 9020

He said his mobo has an 8 pin + 4 pin

"Black Out"

Dedicated Streaming Rig

7 minutes ago, TheNamesLigma said:

Everyone what has happened is his motherboard a Dell optiplex 9020, has a 4pin and a 8pin connector. And the 8 pin connecotr is used. Whereas the 4 pin is not. So are you saying that you can just remove one of the 4 pin of the cpu power and use it for the 4 pin?

@Tristan n If this is the case and you're using a nonstandard motherboard power configuration, you need an adapter. Trying to make the cables you have fit is highly likely to blow everything up.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

5 minutes ago, TheNamesLigma said:

Its an i7 4790, doing light gaming and no workstation stuff

No overclocking.

And its a gigbyte 500 watt 80 plus gold PSU

3 minutes ago, TheNamesLigma said:

Ohhhh!! In that case DO NOT plug the 4+4pin CPU power connector in to the 8pin socket on the motherboard.

The 8pin socket on those motherboards is the MOTHERBOARD power connector. Normally on motherboards this is a 20/24pin connector, but Dell like to use proprietary connectors.
You will need a 24pin to 8pin adapter for Dell Optiplex 9020 motherboards.

The 4pin is for the CPU power and you will split the 4+4pin connector in half and just use one half for the 4pin.

image.png.ac7ddeec97c002bbf1b02e1c8196d81c.png

1 hour ago, Tristan n said:

Hey 

Look for specific adaptors for that PC.

SOmetimes they are available, some times you don't get that.

And even then there is a big risk...

Can you return it?

Because what you have right now is much better and that PSU is not designed to work with that PC!

You need what's called "DC-DC" inside the PSU for it to work with an adaptor.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

22 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Yeah, but with a group regulated PSU and no load on 5V, its not the best.

Anyhow: A good Adaptor will have at least a Molex Connector or even a PCIe Connector as the 24pin ATX comes with only two 12V Connectons. Why Intel chose to increase the amount of 3,3V and 5V where there already is a shit ton we will never understand...

21 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

So i need to get a 24 pin to 8 pin?

No, you need a model specific Adaptor Cable specifically for your model. Not just any Adaptor.

You need one specifically made for the Dell System you own.

8 hours ago, Skiiwee29 said:

He said his mobo has an 8 pin + 4 pin

It does. Id recommend him to get a new mobo

from dells orpiertary crap

6 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

No, you need a model specific Adaptor Cable specifically for your model. Not just any Adaptor.

You need one specifically made for the Dell System you own.

Can u please help find me one

6 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

Go to eBay, Amazon, Newegg, whatever, search for "Optiplex 9020 psu adapter" and you should find what you're looking for.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

14 hours ago, Spotty said:

Ohhhh!! In that case DO NOT plug the 4+4pin CPU power connector in to the 8pin socket on the motherboard.

The 8pin socket on those motherboards is the MOTHERBOARD power connector. Normally on motherboards this is a 20/24pin connector, but Dell like to use proprietary connectors.

The 4pin is for the CPU power and you will split the 4+4pin connector in half and just use one half for the 4pin.

By nugget 

Here is a photo of my motherboard 

20190522_211414.jpg

15 minutes ago, Tristan n said:

Here is a photo of my motherboard  

Yeah... That's not where that cable goes.
The CPU cable which you have plugged in there needs to go in to the 4pin socket in the top left above the CPU fan.

What's meant to go in to the 8pin socket where you have that cable is supposed to be the motherboard power cable. Normally on motherboards this would be a 24pin connector, but because Dell are annoying bastards they use a unique 8pin connector instead.

You will need something like that looks this so you can convert the normal 24pin motherboard connector from your PSU in to the connector that fits with that motherboard. You plug the 24pin cable from your PSU in to one end and plug the other end in to that 8pin socket on the board.
image.png.400617787ebd9e9d83cc7b5f8be932f9.png

As mentioned, search for "Dell Optiplex 9020 motherboard 24pin to 8pin adapter" on sites like eBay. They cost a few dollars.

No because you'd fry your system with the Gigabyte PSU.

That one NEEDs a Load on 5V wich your system doesn't provide as its 12V only.

You need a better quality PSU, one that doesn't care if 5V and 3,3V is unloaded.

The Gigabyte PB500 does not meet that criteria...

Fan speed is rediculously high:

https://ru.gecid.com/power/gigabyte_gp-pb500/?s=1