Ray Tracing on GTX 1060

Islam Ghunym

from the title it look weird because we all know how bad is RayTracing on GTX 1060 but I want to try that at least on my PC, anyway Nvidia brought Support to some of 10 series cards and it appeared that the GTX 1060 6GB will be the low end one that will support RayTracing, the problem is that I have the 3 GB version not the 6 GB one which means I won't be able to try RayTracing and see how it looks and how can it affect gaming experience in metro Exodus as said by myself, anyway since the GTX 1060 3GB/6GB are the same GPU I should be able to enable raytracing on my 3GB version, any ideas about how can I make it?

10 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

from the title it look weird because we all know how bad is RayTracing on GTX 1060 but I want to try that at least on my PC, anyway Nvidia brought Support to some of 10 series cards and it appeared that the GTX 1060 6GB will be the low end one that will support RayTracing, the problem is that I have the 3 GB version not the 6 GB one which means I won't be able to try RayTracing and see how it looks and how can it affect gaming experience in metro Exodus as said by myself, anyway since the GTX 1060 3GB/6GB are the same GPU I should be able to enable raytracing on my 3GB version, any ideas about how can I make it?

The 3GB version is utter shite, I’m sorry. 3GB of vram? Any newer AAA titles won’t run well on that, maybe on the lowest of the lowest  settings... let alone ray tracing. Nvidia used that card as a filler I believe in their product stack. 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

GPU die yes, but they have a different device ID and its how they can tell and lock the card down on features it has access to. You wont be able to enable Ray Tracing on a 3gb model. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Skiiwee29 said:

GPU die yes, but they have a different device ID and its how they can tell and lock the card down on features it has access to. You wont be able to enable Ray Tracing on a 3gb model. 

yeah isn't there any driver hack for that matter yet? or any simple workaround

1 minute ago, Islam Ghunym said:

not afaik. and why would you? i know you would want to try, but the experience isnt great or playable on pascal. and good enough on RTX

29 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

The 3GB version is utter shite, I’m sorry. 3GB of vram? Any newer AAA titles won’t run well on that, let alone ray tracing

I don't use antialiazing or any texture filtering in any game.... all turned off, I care about high quality, epic, extreme or whatever and DSR, FOV, viewing distances and similar things and I want to try raytracing, I wanna see these extreme lightening quality, not gonna game on it, that is all

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

not afaik. and why would you? i know you would want to try, but the experience isnt great or playable on pascal. and good enough on RTX

it is shit even on 2080TI, I know btw, but I just want to be able to enable it.

Global illumination with Ray Tracing is the most demanding implementation and this is what Metro Exodus uses. 

It will be unplayable with GTX 1060. You won't even reach 20FPS.

In BF5 you will be mostly fine since RT is used only for reflective surfaces, not everything. 

9 minutes ago, Islam Ghunym said:

It simply won’t work. Especially in the metro game. Waaay to demanding, and as said before the 1060 3GB is fairly useless 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

1 minute ago, Islam Ghunym said:

You need at least Windows 10 with the big  October update installed and you also need the newest NVIDIA driver to be able to enable DXR on Pascal. 

5 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Global illumination with Ray Tracing is the most demanding implementation and this is what Metro Exodus uses. 

It will be unplayable with GTX 1060. You won't even reach 20FPS.

In BF5 you will be mostly fine since RT is used only for reflective surfaces, not everything. 

somone already tried it on GTX 1060 6 GB raytracing ultra and it was above 20 FPS all the time

10 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

It simply won’t work. Especially in the metro game. Waaay to demanding, and as said before the 1060 3GB is fairly useless 

and as said before and even at start of this topic, doesn't matter how good or bad is the GTX 1060, I just want to be able to enable it in some way

Just now, Islam Ghunym said:

somone already tried it on GTX 1060 6 GB raytracing ultra and it was above 20 FPS all the time

Run at 10:25

If GTX 1080ti can barely manage 40FPS then I very much doubt that GTX 1060 can do anything more than 20FPS if even that.

GTX 1660ti is barely doing 20FPS and that is a better card than GTX 1060

Just now, Islam Ghunym said:

and as said before and even at start of this topic, doesn't matter how good or bad is the GTX 1060, I just want to be able to enable it in some way

I told you how you can enable it

18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

If GTX 1080ti can barely manage 40FPS then I very much doubt that GTX 1060 can do anything more than 20FPS if even that.

just because the GTX 1080TI can barely  do 40 FPS does not mean the GTX 1060 won't do 20 FPS at raytracing, pascal architecture is not optimized for such a feature, unlike Turing, so while GTX 1080TI can barely do 40 FPS, the GTX 1660TI can sometimes beat it just because it is based on newer turing  architecture, anyway GTX 1060 6 GB can do 20-30 FPS in metro Exodus with both raytracing high and ultra, while FPS stay usually above 26 FPS at high and usually between 20-25 reaching to 30 in some areas at ultra ray tracing, however I don't game on bellow 60 FPS, no matter how bad the quality I will choose for that matter, so I won't for sure game while raytracing on but it is nice to have the option that you can enable.

2 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

Not really.

I play Metro Exodus with RT on high and no DLSS at 60fps most of the time at 3840 X 1600 resolution.

It is shit at 4k. 

Running at Ultra is a goal for my next GPU purchase.

2 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

just because the GTX 1080TI can barely  do 40 FPS does not mean the GTX 1060 won't do 20 FPS at raytracing, pascal architecture is not optimized for such a feature, unlike Turing, so while GTX 1080TI can barely do 40 FPS, the GTX 1660TI can sometimes beat it just because it is based on newer turing  architecture, anyway GTX 1060 6 GB can do 20-30 FPS in metro Exodus with both raytracing high and ultra, while FPS stay usually above 26 FPS at high and usually between 20-25 reaching to 30 in some areas at ultra ray tracing, however I don't game on bellow 60 FPS, no matter how bad the quality I will choose for that matter, so I won't for sure game while raytracing on but it is nice to have the option that you can enable.

When I got my first 4k monitor my modded Skyrim that ran at 60fps at 1080p ran at less than 20fps. It was not playable but it gave me a glimpse of the future. A reason to save for more powerful hardware.  

I preserved my modded game and it can now run at 60fps at 4k with a 2080 ti most of the time. Without that goal I probably would not have saved for the hardware I use now. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

11 hours ago, jones177 said:

Not really.

I play Metro Exodus with RT on high and no DLSS at 60fps most of the time at 3840 X 1600 resolution.

It is shit at 4k. 

Running at Ultra is a goal for my next GPU purchase.

When I got my first 4k monitor my modded Skyrim that ran at 60fps at 1080p ran at less than 20fps. It was not playable but it gave me a glimpse of the future. A reason to save for more powerful hardware.  

I preserved my modded game and it can now run at 60fps at 4k with a 2080 ti most of the time. Without that goal I probably would not have saved for the hardware I use now. 

but you have the best GPU in the market, when I buy such a high end GPU I should expect around 100 FPS or more in any game, 2080 TI  can barely do 60 FPS  1080p in shadow of the tomb raider tho, metro is not that heavy raytraced game anyway, so a 2080 TI with barely 60 FPS should not be a usual thing, all because of raytracing, once you disable it the game will go much smoother due to higher frame rates and you will have better gaming experience, however all 3 raytraced games are casual games and does not require high framerates, but 144 Hz and 120 Hz users won't like these 60 FPS even in casual gaming and they still can't use raytracing for that matter.

>Metro is not a heavily ray traces game

>Uses global illumination

?

You asked a question and we answered. Even if nVidia allowed it, you would be in swapping hell between vRAM and System RAM on a 3GB card. Even if it could work, you would be very lucky to maintain 20FPS. If you could, frametimes would probably be a second or two.

And technically you can do a similar hack to what made those mining cards work. Disable driver signing, and all software updates to Windows and nVidia drivers, and dig around the code until you find DXR implementation and enable your Device ID. It doesn't look too hard, really, but I haven't tried.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

17 hours ago, Islam Ghunym said:

but you have the best GPU in the market, when I buy such a high end GPU I should expect around 100 FPS or more in any game, 2080 TI  can barely do 60 FPS  1080p in shadow of the tomb raider tho, metro is not that heavy raytraced game anyway, so a 2080 TI with barely 60 FPS should not be a usual thing, all because of raytracing, once you disable it the game will go much smoother due to higher frame rates and you will have better gaming experience, however all 3 raytraced games are casual games and does not require high framerates, but 144 Hz and 120 Hz users won't like these 60 FPS even in casual gaming and they still can't use raytracing for that matter.

I just ran the Shadow of the tomb Raider bench at 4k and I averaged 63 fps.  I do have depth of field, motion blur and lens flare turned off since I turn them off on any game I play. I do have texture quality on ultra and ray tracing on ultra as well with no DLSS. That is 2 fps higher than I get with Assassin's Creed Odyssey at 4k with high and ultra settings.

For some reason the game will not play at the native resolution on my gaming monitor(3840 X 1600) with ray tracing enabled. HDR is not working as well since the refresh rate is stuck at 75hz and it needs to be at 60 to work. I did get it to work at 3440 X 1440 and the score was only 12 frames higher(75fps). 

My 4k monitor is 60hz so I am not unhappy with the results. I would rather play the game on my ultra wide since all the frames would be over 60 but unless I find a work around that will not happen.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

• 1 year later...
On 5/22/2019 at 3:05 AM, Stormseeker9 said:

The 3GB version is utter shite, I’m sorry. 3GB of vram? Any newer AAA titles won’t run well on that, maybe on the lowest of the lowest  settings... let alone ray tracing. Nvidia used that card as a filler I believe in their product stack. 

I have the same 3gb card and I'm able to run most games at high to ultra settings. My system says I'm using 7gb of vram out of 3gb, but I don't see any performance drops and games run silky smooth.