Did i do it right? Overclocking a 6600k to 4.6

Hello forum - this is my first post so have mercy!

Im trying to squeeze some power out from my old machine, and turned my love to overclocking my CPU. Saying im a rooky at this is an understatement! I played arround with the multiplier, and vcore and ended up with something that looks stable.

Does this OC look ok, or is there anything i need to worry about? 

image.png.53d6346600c0a1aed62fef572ea40444.png

image.png.0487503aa73d47c0ff13c091c14726fd.png

image.png.b4b6a933ee808ada5730372ec423e688.png

A big thank you!

Kasper

Currently running 4.600 ghz at VCORE 1.320 (though cpuz says a lower voltage) - power savings/modes off.

It's been a long time since I OC'd one of those, but it sounds about right ball park. I recall hitting a wall around 4.7 and voltages couldn't get too silly to manage heat.

How are you testing stability?

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

36 minutes ago, Bergsorensen said:

VCORE 1.320 (though cpuz says a lower voltage) 

it's almost never going to be exactly what you set, and also this voltage you're seeing in CPU-Z means nothing unless you stress your CPU and see where it settles

When you stress a CPU there will be a voltage drop naturally, so there's something called LLC (Load-Line Calibration) in BIOS to mitigate that (default is Auto), which basically compensates for the lost voltage under load and pushes it higher, you might find LLC settings ranging from 1 to something, or from Low to Extreme, you wanna find the right setting that keeps the voltage under load as close as you can get it as if it was on idle, can't tell you which setting to use because each motherboard is different, Auto might be good enough though

Also LLC sometimes can be too aggressive and pushes the voltage way higher than what you actually set

From a quick research, 1.3V is around what you should expect for 4.6Ghz, try to lower the voltage as much as possible while keeping stability, and check temperatures under load

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

20 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

it's almost never going to be exactly what you set, and also this voltage you're seeing in CPU-Z means nothing unless you stress your CPU and see where it settles

When you stress a CPU there will be a voltage drop naturally, so there's something called LLC (Load-Line Calibration) in BIOS to mitigate that (default is Auto), which basically compensates for the lost voltage under load and pushes it higher, you might find LLC settings ranging from 1 to something, or from Low to Extreme, you wanna find the right setting that keeps the voltage under load as close as you can get it as if it was on idle, can't tell you which setting to use because each motherboard is different, Auto might be good enough though

Also LLC sometimes can be too aggressive and pushes the voltage way higher than what you actually set

From a quick research, 1.3V is around what you should expect for 4.6Ghz, try to lower the voltage as much as possible while keeping stability, and check temperatures under load

Yes, great post Syn...  Yes my LLC is at extreme or else this OC is dead man walking or I would need to set a really high voltage so when it comes down on stress it will still be stable.  Personally using LLC for many many years is the way to go.  You set a good voltage for idle and it does flop the voltage down and thus a unstable system and what not.

That CPU @ 4.6Ghz sounds right.  You could probably get even more, but then heat becomes a issue and we don't know what cooler you using.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card