Which way to chose to get Windows 10 on prebuilt Windows 7 laptop?

Hey guys,

Want to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 on a prebuilt Lenovo laptop.

We do not have the Windows 7 key.

So my question is, can I clean install from a USB Stick with Windows 10 without the key? Or Can I get my Windows 7 serial key somehow and use this for Windows 10 installation?

Otherwise, should I just do the update from Windows to get Windows 10? 

Remember: I want to install this fresh so not keeping any old files.

Thanks for your help in advance!

You can install windows 10 without a key.. You can even run it without a problem without the key.. I would buy one on Ebay for $5, though.. They work well. Some people will cry about it on here, oh well..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Use jellybean keyfinder to extract the Windows 7 product key and use that key when installing Windows 10.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

15 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

Use jellybean keyfinder to extract the Windows 7 product key and use that key when installing Windows 10.

Is there any other program for that? The website says it cost 13 $ and the free version can't do that.

For this price I can get a new key lol

7 hours ago, Hip said:

Is there any other program for that? The website says it cost 13 $ and the free version can't do that.

For this price I can get a new key lol

Just download it and use it. It will find the key if Windows is activated. The paid feature is for more in-depth extraction. I used it many times.

Main Gaming and Streaming PC: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Vinsinity/saved/TjwVnQ

Ultrabook and College Laptop:

Spoiler

XPS 13 9350:

i5-6200U

8GB RAM

Samsung PM951 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive

Workstation Laptop:

Spoiler

Sager NP8672 (P670SG):

i7-4720HQ

32GB (4 x 8GB) CORSAIR Vengeance Performance

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Boot Drive)

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 Solid State Drive (Video Drive)

Crucial MX100 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary SDD Storage)

Western Digital (Blue or Black) 1TB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Storage Drive)

GeForce GTX 980M 4G

Just now, VinsinityKT said:

Just download it and use it. It will find the key if Windows is activated. The paid feature is for more in-depth extraction. I used it many times.

I will try that out tomorrow. Thanks 

13 hours ago, VinsinityKT said:

I tried this out and it says:

Windows 10 Home
Product Part No.: [TH]X19-9
Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media.
Product ID: 00326-10000-00000-......  match to CD Key data
CD Key: .....................................

There is a CD Key but it does not match the one I have from Windows 7 CD that I used before the Windows 10 upgrade.

So will I be able to install clean with the Windows 7 key then a Windows 10 version?

Do you currently have Windows 10 installed on said laptop, and is it activated? If so, you can simply reinstall Windows without supplying a product key and it will activate when you go online.

If you haven't, and you have used magical jellybean to look up the product key, google the actual product key. If it is a regular OEM key (as opposed to a royalty OEM key) you can install Windows 10 using that product key and it should activate when going online.

9 hours ago, TheDelphiDude said:

Do you currently have Windows 10 installed on said laptop, and is it activated? If so, you can simply reinstall Windows without supplying a product key and it will activate when you go online.

If you haven't, and you have used magical jellybean to look up the product key, google the actual product key. If it is a regular OEM key (as opposed to a royalty OEM key) you can install Windows 10 using that product key and it should activate when going online.

No, I only have Windows 7 installed there. And want to upgrade.

On 5/16/2019 at 4:39 AM, ch3w2oy said:

You can install windows 10 without a key.. You can even run it without a problem without the key.. I would buy one on Ebay for $5, though.. They work well. Some people will cry about it on here, oh well..

If you are going for software piracy anyway, why don't you get it for free?

Spending 5 bucks won't make it a legit copy, so why would you waste the money when you can get it for free?

7 hours ago, zhubaohi said:

If you are going for software piracy anyway, why don't you get it for free?

Spending 5 bucks won't make it a legit copy, so why would you waste the money when you can get it for free?

Herr derr yes it will. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. It appears that most of you that don't like the ebay idea don't know how to do research..

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

19 hours ago, ch3w2oy said:

Herr derr yes it will. I'm running Windows 10 Pro. It appears that most of you that don't like the ebay idea don't know how to do research..

Linus made it VERY CLEAR in his video. If you are not familiar with Microsoft's EULA, feel free to google it before we discuss this matter, or watch Linus's video if you don't want to go through MS EULA. Software piracy is a law term, simply activating your copy of windows won't make it any less pirate. Those 5-buck keys on eBay are not meant for personal/household use, those keys are for the company/orgnization that signed a contract with MS and bought a ton of keys.  Using these keys to activate your copy will be considered as a violation to the EULA, which makes your copy pirate. 

If spending 5 bucks makes you sleep better at night, go for it. But don't act like you are not using a pirate copy of windows.